Menu

GA Accreditation and Transcripts

I will be homeschooling a freshman for the first time (both in hsing and in high school). I live in GA and read a post that someone got accredited by GAC. I was wondering how hard it is to get accredited by them. Is it easier to go to an accrediting agency (which is more expensive)? Also, if you do get accredited, how do you know how to do a transcript to get into University system schools in GA? Thanks!

It takes some hoop-jumping to get accredited yourself in GA; I won't lie. It does allow you to keep some control of your school and what you want to teach and when, though. It is a good bit less expensive, but it takes some time. From my first site visit until I was accredited was a one year period, and the cost was $500 including the two years of re-certification and the two site visits. Before I am finished I expect to pay $700 more. But, divided by two children that's not so bad. If you go to the GAC website it will tell you what the criteria are for non-traditional schools and how to go about things. Just figure out how you are going to prove that you do those things and call a consultant, who will review your records/set-up.

It is *definitely* easier to go through an umbrella accreditation, but you don't necessarily have the freedom that comes with the hoop-jumping.

If you get a book on homeschool high school transcripts- any of these could work:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_22?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=homeschool+transcripts&sprefix=homeschool+transcripts

you should be fine. Keep in mind that every school's "offical" transcript is unique and they will all look a little different. Don't worry about that part.

I hope you find this helpful.