Menu

Help me not ruin my kids in math!!

I seem to be able to stick with a curriculum in every subject except math. I feel like I've already ruined my 15yod, and now my 11yo & 10yo boys are behind. We started with MUS Alpha & Beta, and this year are doing Gamma. So, they are behind where they should be at their ages. I felt like they should be doing something else more than multiplication so I ordered some 3rd grade BJU math workbooks, and my older son has been doing some fractions. Now he says that he feels like he's not going to be able to remember everything we've been learning. So, I'm wondering if it would be better to stay in the MUS all the way through. However, I don't feel like MUS reviews enough (BJU doesn't either, by the way). I've also been thinking about Saxon, since it has lots of review (and they hopefully wouldn't be forgetting what they've learned). As you can see, I'm really confused, and I need someone to slap me and tell me what to do. Should I just stick with the MUS, even though they are behind? Or should I maybe switch to Saxon when they're ready for Saxon 45? Or is there something else that you could recommend? I need to decide NOW what curriculum to use and then stick with it. I really could use some input!!

Thanks!

Michele

Rod and Staff (mastery) is working wonders here. We tried MUS, Singapore, and Saxon before switching. CLE is another good option if you like the spiralness of Saxon. I looked at BJU but rejected it, as well for the same reasons you have.

BTW, I know EXACTLY how you feel. My almost 12 year old is working on 3rd grade math! But as I see it, he is learning and retaining for the first time ever the concepts being presented. Try not to sweat the 'should be at'. I struggle with it, too.

I'd recommend R&S for your younger dc, and Lial's Basic College Math for your 15yo. I would not having him working through MUS at this point. Lial's BCM will definitely bring him up to speed in the least amount of time. It assumes NO prior knowledge, so he can learn all concepts from the beginning, in a clear, step by step format, with plenty of examples. Lial's BCM can be purchased used, very cheaply, through Amazon. The 7th edition is a good choice.

I'd recommend R&S for your younger dc, and Lial's Basic College Math for your 15yo. I would not having him working through MUS at this point. Lial's BCM will definitely bring him up to speed in the least amount of time. It assumes NO prior knowledge, so he can learn all concepts from the beginning, in a clear, step by step format, with plenty of examples. Lial's BCM can be purchased used, very cheaply, through Amazon. The 7th edition is a good choice.

Which levels of Saxon would Lials roughly replace?

It's hard to compare MUS to Saxon. They are different programs. MUS is a mastery program, Saxon is spiral.

MUS focuses on a single topic at a time as you pointed out. So yes, in a way your kids will be "behind" because while they are intensly studying, say, multiplication, while the Saxon students are studying several topics.

By the 5th or 6th grade or so (after decimals and percents) it all evens out. Kids, whether they have been a Saxon kid or a MUS kid all have been exposed to the same facts.

In my opinion, MUS does a better job developing the ideas. It is important for kids to know the "whys" of math so they know how to solve problems. So many kids know how to divide fractions (Flip the second fraction and multiply) but few know WHY that works. MUS develops this idea so eloquently.

Not being taught the "whys" of math is why [american] kids lag behind China (and many other countries) in math.

As to switching programs - I suggest against it. My older dd has tried every math program. She is behind because everytime we tried a new program, we wasted time learning a new way to approach math. Finally I have found something she will stick with and she is making great progress. My younger dd has used the same program from the start (RightStart) and she has a much better grasp of the concepts than my older dd.

The most important part of any math program is to pick one that works for your child. If they like MUS, use it. If they like Saxon, fine. Just pick the one they learn from, not the one your friend uses or the one that everyone is talking about.

I hope that helps.

Judy

I would stay away from Saxon. Math-U-See is very comprehensive and trying to do BJU at the same time really would distract the children. I would drop the extra program (although I like BJU just fine, I think MUS is excellent and you are already using it) and concentrate on working through MUS.

I would dril drill drill the math facts and that will make all the difference in their progress. Also, if you come across something they already have mastered, do just the one page and move on. Not every book must be used.

Good luck!

I wanted to add, my kids LOVED the MUS DVDs. They would play them for fun over and over. Just at that point, they had a hard time transitioning from DVD to paper. We might try it again later on.

Which levels of Saxon would Lials roughly replace?

Andie, I don't know the answer to your question, but if you start a separate thread, you will be sure to get an answer. Jann in TX is very familiar w/many of the texts and how they coincide with Lial's. I *think* that Lials BCM can replace Saxon 87, but don't quote me. :001_smile:

We just abandoned Horizons 3 for Saxon 5/4. My dd is loving the switch. Yes, she has to write the problems out and doesn't prefer that, but she is doing it without complaint. It's not THAT big a deal. She says Saxon does a much better job of explaining things to her, she gets it right away, and is done with her math faster than she was with Horizons.

Why does Saxon get such a bad wrap, people saying to stay away? I myself refused to try it for years just because of things that people would say about it, and really wish I would have dumped Horizons 1-2 years ago for Saxon. I think it is a nice solid program.

If we need to make a change at any other point, I'd go for R&S math for this dd.

It all depends on learning styles as well with what you choose.

I do plan to add in Singapore 1/2 way through the year for next school year, just for some approach variation.

For my younger 6 yo, we are starting with Singapore through using the HOD curriculum, but I plan to get her into Saxon as well. She is more hands on, so I might need to venture into MUS at some point. We'll see....