Menu

1st grade DD's butterfly story

misidawnrn

How does everyone think she is doing for creative writing in the 1st grade? I think she did pretty well.

:iagree:

I agree.

Her handwriting is legible and the letters are formed correctly. She writes in complete sentences, beginning with a capital letter and ending with a period.

There are a few mistakes in comprehension. Caterpillars hatch from eggs, not make them. In the sentence "The caterpillar growl into a butterfly," does she mean "grow" or is she trying to use the vocabulary word "crawl"? If the focus of the assignment was to simply write something and not learn about butterflies and caterpillars, I would overlook these errors.

There are also a few mistakes in language that you might want to make a mental note about to yourself. Most of these issuse are probably beyond what your DD has learned. You could address these issues by you typing the piece on a pretty piece of paper with space for her to draw a picture. When you type it, quietly make the corrections (spelling, punctuation, etc.). If she notices the changes you made, simply explain them to her.

We are just learning the rule of change a y to an i so she didn't get that correct but that is OK.

I'm not seeing where she should have changed a y to an i. Do you mean where she wrote "butterflys"? In that case, it would be "butterfly's" with an apostrophe s, since it is the possessive. The colors belong to the butterfly.

The main thing I see for her to work on is the correct use of capital letters. You can teach her to capitalize the words in a title, and remind her to use lower case letters in the middle of sentences.

Thanks. She actually made the egg thing up herself. We didn't read about butterflies. I didn't even catch the 's part about the colors. We are working on no capital letters in the middle of a sentence. We have been working with good spacing, good handwriting and capitals at the begining of the sentence and periods at the end.