Menu

Invaluable tools or supplies for homeschooling mothers

Thinking about how much a laminator is going to help me, I wondered if there were other things I wouldn't have considered that might be "tools of the trade". Plus for new and new-ish homeschoolers sharing our most beloved items (not curricula) might be helpful :) I know the other item on my "not sure if I want list, but considering" is a paper cutter.

So... what are your "I love it SO much, I can't imagine schooling without it" tools and supplies??

Dry erase envelopes. I disassemble all consumable materials, hole punch them, put them in a binder, and slide them into the dry erase envelopes as needed. Saves a ton of paper and money.

Google Docs. I do all my lesson planning and tracking in Google Docs. I share the documents with relevant parties, and they can check in and give opinions when they feel like it. I can also edit the documents from anywhere, including from my phone. I love lesson planning on road trips and such. Very handy.

Off the top of my head:

• 3-hole punch
  • printer/copier/scanner and LOTS of paper
  • paper cutter
  • variety of colored pencils and pens
  • art supplies
  • reward stickers
  • index cards
  • White Out
  • wall map of the world
  • iPod and dock
  • good lighting

Blessings as you begin a great adventure!

Lucinda

Printer, ink, paper, google :tongue_smilie:

small dry erase board and markers

3-hole punch

tabs for marking pages

digital voice recorder (makes oral narrations that I write down much easier)

library card

large magnetic dry erase board

Dry erase envelopes. I disassemble all consumable materials, hole punch them, put them in a binder, and slide them into the dry erase envelopes as needed. Saves a ton of paper and money.

Google Docs. I do all my lesson planning and tracking in Google Docs. I share the documents with relevant parties, and they can check in and give opinions when they feel like it. I can also edit the documents from anywhere, including from my phone. I love lesson planning on road trips and such. Very handy.

What are dry erase envelopes?? And I have never heard of Google Docs either :confused:

Printer, ink, paper, google :tongue_smilie:

small dry erase board and markers

3-hole punch

tabs for marking pages

digital voice recorder (makes oral narrations that I write down much easier)

library card

large magnetic dry erase board

I have a large one, but why the small dry erase board?

A really good hole punch with a big padded swing handle

A paper cutter

A 3/4-in-1 copier/scanner

Binders and dividers

A "mom pack" that no one can touch: include a really good pair of scissors, a full set of nice highlighters, some Twist-Erase pencils and refills, Sharpie pens in all colors, a set of erasable red pencils, post-it notes in a fun color, a pack of paper clips, etc.

Oh, and this document / book / iPad stand called the Book Gem. I use it every day, for everything from supporting the iPad while I bring up recipes in the kitchen, to propping up a Draw Write Now book for my daughter to practice her handwriting.

http://www.bookgem.com/

I just ordered two of these! I was thinking the other day that we needed something like this. Thanks! :D

Good but inexpensive pencil sharpener (inexpensive, because in my experience, they all break before I think they should)

Stapler

3 ring binders (I use the view binders and decorate them with scrapbook paper so I can see at a glance what subject it is - and which kid left it lying around)

folders

good pencils (Papermate Naturals, Mirado Black Warriors)

globe

Portable CD player/tape player or inexpensive iPod. (I load this with school stuff for the kids to listen to.)

I can't say that I've ever had a need for a laminator. I guess it might be helpful if I wanted something to be used over and over. But there isn't that much that has fallen into that category for me.

I have an inexpensive scrapbooking paper cutter that has met all my cutting needs (actually I need lots of scissors more than a big cutter).

We do have a Brock microscope that I really like

I can't say that I've ever had a need for a laminator. I guess it might be helpful if I wanted something to be used over and over. But there isn't that much that has fallen into that category for me.

I certainly don't use mine every day, but it does come in handy. For example, yesterday ds decided to do the Celtic warrior brooch project from SOTW2 activity book. The directions say to cut it out and glue it to cardboard (to stiffen it). I had him cut it out, color it, and I zipped it through the laminator. Voila! The lazy mom's method! :tongue_smilie:

A good three hole punch

A good stapler

A good coffee machine

A laser printer/copier

Paper cutter

My Teacher Box: This is a sturdy plastic file box with a lid. I keep current answer keys, solutions manuals, etc. in here, so it's easy to grab and go so I can grade on the road (usually at piano lessons).

Stand N Store pencil case for my pens and pencils. The flaps fold back so it stands up and items are easily accessible, but I like that it also zips up so I can grab it with my Teacher Box for on the go.

Teacher Binder: This is where I keep all of our schedules, notes to myself, etc. I also have a pocket tabs for each son and I place items to be graded in their pocket. I grab this with my Stand N Store & File Box when I'll be waiting somewhere. I like the Flex Hybrid because I can fold it under itself so it doesn't take up a lot of room on my desk during the day (like a spiral notebook).

An assorted supply of Post-It style flags. These are great bookmarks for "do the next thing" types of curriculum. I use them color-coded for the children (red for M-girl, blue for N-boy, and green for R-girl) in books where they're all in different places (MEP teacher book, OPG book, etc.)

I have a long-armed stapler that comes in handy for making (or repairing) books and other stapling projects, but I wouldn't call it "necessary" but "luxury"

Notebooks and dividers (which reminds me, I need to do some organizing)

MP3 player with speakers for songs during circle time.

A comfy chair ...

Oh, and this document / book / iPad stand called the Book Gem. I use it every day, for everything from supporting the iPad while I bring up recipes in the kitchen, to propping up a Draw Write Now book for my daughter to practice her handwriting.

Thanks for posting this. I have been looking for something like for months. Wasn't happy with what I have found. I think I will have to order 1.

A well stocked liquor cabinet. :tongue_smilie:

:001_smile: And a Keurig coffee machine!!

Seriously, I love my Desk Apprentice so I have the things I need handy. I keep two stocked at all times. One has all my TM, scissors, tape, etc. and the other is stocked with colored paper, colored file folders, scissors, markers, etc. for hands on projects like history. Love mine because I can pick it up and take it to wherever we are working, whether it be the back porch, den or kitchen table.

I would also say:

three hole punch

electric pencil sharpener (I have given up on mechanical pencils for my dss)

Netflix

library card

internet

blankets for snuggling and reading

laminating machine

binding machine

post-its

colored pens for checking work and making notes

These are the things that came to mind. But, I am definitely ordering one of those book holders today! Right now....

Oh yes. I just ordered two of these. Love the design and thanks for sharing.

It's much easier to sit with a child at the table and demonstrate math problems, correct spelling, demonstrate grammar concepts (we just used it to demonstrate abbreviation), practicing something before the child actually begins to complete the written work, etc. You're not using up paper for something that you won't need to keep, and it's quick to erase and move on to the next thing. It's easier to make sure your child is actually paying attention when you're right there demonstrating rather than across the room at the large board. Plus they like writing on the board (at least mine do)--it's more fun than paper! Anything that is turned in to go in their notebooks goes on paper, but pretty much everything else that is written we do with the marker board.

And chocolate. :tongue_smilie: But, kidding aside...I wish I had a laminator. :tongue_smilie: Post-it flags, tape, computer, good printer, lots of paper (all kinds), extra pair of eyes, extra set of hands...:D

Hey, where can I get those?? :tongue_smilie:

I just ordered two of these! I was thinking the other day that we needed something like this. Thanks! :D

You are welcome! I do need to order more, and I love how they can accommodate both thin or thick materials.

ETA: Woohoo, it looks as if a lot of people are ordering these. That's cool!

OP, I am looking for the dry erase envelopes for you. I'll post again in a bit.

Edited by arghmatey

Here is a link to the dry erase envelopes at Rainbow Resource. YOu can get a box of 30 of them at Amazon. That would be great if you had people who wanted to split them with you!

ETA: That first Amazon link is for a box of 30 red ones. If you'd like a box of 25 in assorted neon colors, try here. :D

Or - here is a box of 10 assorted neon.

Edited by 3lilreds in NC

Here is a link to the dry erase envelopes at Rainbow Resource. YOu can get a box of 30 of them at Amazon. That would be great if you had people who wanted to split them with you!

ETA: That first Amazon link is for a box of 30 red ones. If you'd like a box of 25 in assorted neon colors, try :D.

YES! That's what we use. I love them. LOL

I'm rather crunchy, but this and my laminator are two of the plastic products I cannot live without. Well, I guess I could, but I won't!

The dry erase envelopes confused me until I saw the link to Amazon. It looks similar to the Workbox Window, which we do have.

I agree with everyone about their favorite invaluable tools. If I had to narrow them down to my absolute favorites, they'd be:

• Whiteboards! All sizes. Large one on the wall, medium one on the floor for AAS, and small ones for Singapore math work.
  • Staples Better Binders - totally addicted to these binders
  • Staples Desk Apprentice
  • quality pens, erasable colored pencils, highlighters, dry erase markers make life colorful and fun :)

I love laminating.. I have made a few games and such love it.

aside from that. My "just mom" zipper pouch it has pens, pencils, glue sticks, sharpies, white out etc. just stuff that I don't want grubby kids hands all over. I have had this bag for 5 years and have barely had to restock it where as the kids supplies I am always buying so it has been a great tool for me.

library card & netflix are both great to have.

not 100% school related but our accountable kids program has helped with chores and I will add school stuff next year.

a really good pair of scissors (or a cutter if you can afford it I wish I had one)

I wish I had a copier/scanner that is on the list for next years tax return.

pastel colored printing paper. I like assigning each kid a color for printed items it makes filing so much easier on me.

post it notes & index cards.

My list:

I certainly don't use mine every day, but it does come in handy. For example, yesterday ds decided to do the Celtic warrior brooch project from SOTW2 activity book. The directions say to cut it out and glue it to cardboard (to stiffen it). I had him cut it out, color it, and I zipped it through the laminator. Voila! The lazy mom's method! :tongue_smilie:

LOL!!

A well stocked liquor cabinet. :tongue_smilie:

Kidding aside, I am very happy I broke down and bought a copier/scanner/printer. I use it all the time.

OMGosh!! I just about covered my monitor with Dr. Pepper :lol:

I have a large dry-erase mounted on the wall to use -- but don't use it much since we got a couple of small boards that are easy to use on laps and tables, and even in the car (highly portable).

:001_smile: And a Keurig coffee machine!!

Seriously, I love my Desk Apprentice so I have the things I need handy. I keep two stocked at all times. One has all my TM, scissors, tape, etc. and the other is stocked with colored paper, colored file folders, scissors, markers, etc. for hands on projects like history. Love mine because I can pick it up and take it to wherever we are working, whether it be the back porch, den or kitchen table.

Desk Apprentice! where have you been all my (homeschooling) life?!!

Thank you for posting that link! I am in love. I've found the answer to my cluttered desk problem. Oh happy day!

ETA: That first Amazon link is for a box of 30 red ones. If you'd like a box of 25 in assorted neon colors, try here. :D

Or - here is a box of 10 assorted neon.

Okay!! I have something like that. It came with my Mastering Mathematics. It's not sealed on the sides, just at the top like a legal notebook, so you can use on workbooks :D Anybody ever seen those for sale??

So can anyone recommend small dry erase boards that actually erase? :glare: We have a couple that I ordered from Learning Resources, and they do NOT erase well.

:bigear:

I got ours at Wal-Mart. The brand is "Quartet" and it erases really well.

Thinking about how much a laminator is going to help me, I wondered if there were other things I wouldn't have considered that might be "tools of the trade". Plus for new and new-ish homeschoolers sharing our most beloved items (not curricula) might be helpful :) I know the other item on my "not sure if I want list, but considering" is a paper cutter.

So... what are your "I love it SO much, I can't imagine schooling without it" tools and supplies??

Well, I don't have these but a girl can dream.

A custodian and a lunch lady.

A teacher's aid to fetch books and make copies and read to the younger ones when I'm busy...y'know... since I'm dreaming.:001_smile:

So can anyone recommend small dry erase boards that actually erase? :glare: We have a couple that I ordered from Learning Resources, and they do NOT erase well.

:bigear:

We love these lap boards and if you wait for the back to school sale in the summer, you can get them for $1. At least I did last time.

I'll second a bunch of things others have already mentioned:

A BIG whiteboard

A good, heavy duty three-hole punch

A good electric pencil sharpener

A good printer/copier/scanner

Good, mom-only scissors

And everything you'd need for the filing organization thread from the K-8 board! Truly, that has revolutionized my HSing more than anything else I've found.