Menu

Which is harder - the practice CLEP book or the actual CLEP exam?!

southcarolinamom

My son is studying for the CLEP in Human Growth and Development this month. He studied David Myer's General Psychology this year

http://www.sonlight.com/590-00.html

and is working towards earning a Human Growth and Development credit in college. (It's very similar to the psychology he studied, with more life stages to learn)

So .... my question is for the parents (or students!) who have taken various CLEP exams. Did you feel the practice CLEP books were harder, easier, or about the same as the actual CLEP exam?

Thanks for your input :D If all goes well with this test, we are going to work towards a History of Civ. CLEP, and one or two English CLEPS..

Have you tried searching for

human growth and development site:degreeforum.net

You'll find a lot of feedback there. Unless you're a subscriber, you can't see the Specific Exam Feedback area, but it's invaluable in preparing for CLEPs. You can get a discount code here: http://www.degreeplanners.com/?Instantcert.com -- Watch the video if you're not familiar with this CLEP prep site.

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

In our case, it seems that the REA practice tests were harder, as my dd scored an average of 61 on the practice tests, but got a 71 on that actual CLEP exam for Western Civ I. I couldn't say if that is the case with other tests, though, as this was our first CLEP exam.

• 3 weeks later...

Pray for my son - he will be taking the Analyzing Literature CLEP tomorrow morning. (It's the equivalent of Eng 103) We've practiced with the REA CLEP book, done 3 practice tests in it, as well as 3 on-line Peterson tests. The Peterson tests have been easier than the REA CLEP book....

Any last minute feedback? His brain is fried. ;)

From DD's experience:

50 is a pass in most schools; some require a 55 or 60 in certain subjects. Check your school's list.

Intro to Sociology was her first CLEP exam, she adid not know what to expect. She studied for one week; she went into the exam sweating, and came out sweating, saying it was harder than she thought (well, I would guess so, with only a weeks' worth of studying??) but she did score a 69.

English Comp/College Comp with essay--DD took this so she could "skip" English Comp I in college and go directly into Engl Comp 2. No studying whatsoever. She scored a 74 on the exam. She is an excellent writer and she has great grammar, but again, she was sweating; she likes to write well and get her point across. She said her writing was down to the wire.

Intro to Psych was last and dd knew how to study and what to pay attention to. Again, she did this to clear an Intro course so she could go right into other Psych courses. She prepped for 2.5 weeks. She was ready, no sweating, and she scored a 71.

Overall DD said the REA books were about as hard as the exam, Peterson's (online) was easier, and InstaCert was the most helpful. She could not have done it without all 3 sources.

DD's biggest problem was not with the prep but where she took the exams--the woman at the CC who oversees exams was very "down" on dd taking the CLEP and gave her a hard time, 1) because dd was too young, 16 the first time and 2) because she said there was no experience to replace being in the classroom, and CLEPping was not a good thing to do. I had to argue with the woman and set her straight about the minimum age to CLEP, and that got dd all rattled before the exam.

For later exams I drove an extra 18 miles to another institution and had dd take the exams there, she felt more comfortable.

Good luck!

Edited by distancia

• 10 years later...

I don't Clep Exams are as much difficult as it is used to be just because of the clep exam guides. They help me alott to practice my clep social sciences and history exam. But I think the social sciences and history exam is one of the most confusing and irritating exam as compared to other clep exams. But Thanks to Clep 4 Sure exam study guides. They help me alott to prepare the social sciences exam very easily.