Menu

Do you think I should be doing more with my 6 y/o

rafiki

I think you are doing enough. However, if he wants more I'd give him more. I would try to find other things he can work on (cooking, woodworking etc.) If he prefers workbooks I'd get him more of that, too. I would not go faster but deeper. If he is up to more, I say, give it to him. Don't make it a requirement and be prepared to stop with the extra when he is done.

Susie

Did you ask him what he wants? Many k5'ers like to color, do mazes, dot-to-dots, etc. When I worked in K5, the kids got 3 pages of busywork like that a day. Does he have any interests or hobbies he pursues in his free time? I'd give him more supplies for that or try to figure out what would serve that function for him. It's not YOUR job to constantly feed him. He has to pursue things for himself. You figure out what will interest him and give him fodder (robotics kits, books on tape, whatever his thing is), but it's really his job to busy himself in your stimulating environment. And if he says he's bored, send him to empty the dishwasher. ;)

PS. I'm not saying NOT to give him more to do. I'm just saying at some point it becomes his deal and he's relying on you rather than busying himself with his own interests. Sure you could give him stuff to do. He could start a language. (CAP has some new latin and greek programs for this age, don't they?) He could be doing copywork of the greek alphabet and of course english daily. He could have all his memory work (poetry, VP cards, etc.) on an ipod that he can do daily independently. He could learn the audio memory geography songs and assemble one of the geo puzzles from Timberdoodle each day. So for instance do the Asia puzzle every day for 2 weeks, then the europe puzzle, etc. I did things like that with my dd when she was that age, BUT I only had one. You have several kids and you can't do everything for them. They're going to have to step up to the plate, use their environment and opportunities, and do things for themselves. Does he have any field guides? It's spring. While big brother is slaving through piles of math, he can take a nature walk with a bag and collect things (leaves, flowers, whatever) to identify. Or look for tracks. Or set up a rigorous PE program, hehe. (sit-ups, sprinting, relay races, jump rope, etc.)

Just an idea--post your inquiries (both your posts) on the Special Needs board--he sounds gifted to me.

Other ideas--totally off the cuff--

Have him start an independent science program--maybe the ones from Home Science Adventures (we love the microscopy one--but it would probably only take him a couple of weeks). Have him keep a nature journal, since he loves art and science--on the page, he could write the Latin name of the plant or animal he finds, and add other info (see WTM for a list of questions he can answer). He can add copywork to it, too.

Is he memorizing anything? (I'm sorry, your post isn't in front of me) Love the ipod idea (or a cd player) from the previous poster. I can just see him reciting something cool, like a piece from Shakespeare or the Iliad.

I agree that he needs to develop the capacity for independent play--but he sure sounds pretty independent already. Perhaps a bigger project, with a bigger purpose. Could he build something? He's only 6, but maybe he and his dad (or you) could get Backyard Ballistics and he could work on some of it with someone else, and some independently. Or start learning some woodworking skills--he's just about the right age for whittling and jackknife work.

Maybe a rope and a book of knots to learn? Then apply that in some way?

Gardening? Preparing the soil, starting a compost pile (and tending it every few days), planting, weeding, watering, harvesting, canning--fun for the whole family. (Or so I've heard--we have too much shade! lol)

It sounds like he's beyond the "explore art" stage and really ready to use those materials in a more mature way. That's why I think the nature notebook could work. Also, he sounds like he needs purpose--just building something for the sake of building it seems "beneath him"--Just my impressions!

He seems like such a neat boy from your descriptions!!

I think he sounds gifted. My son is like that in some things and many told me he is gifted.

My best ideas were:

1. Ask you Children's librarian for a tour of your local library. Bring a very large book bag or laundry basket to check out books. Tell him to pick out a bunch of books in Science, History or Animals or what ever he is interested in. I would give him an egg timer and tell him to read or look at pictures from the Science, History or Animal books every day. He loved having control of the timer. I got him a sketch notebook and asked him to draw a picture of his favorite picture then name and date it.

2. I gave him 30 min of free time. He would plan it himself. At first he was frustrated then he started to play with his hot wheels. He hated to be board, but learned to keep himself amused after a while.

3. Books on Tape from the Library that are not to emotionally intense. Charlotte's Web and Baber. Teach him how to work the tape recorder himself.

4. He loved having his day organized and scheduled. I do that now for him.

sounds like an intelligent, capable child- maybe a Midas learner...

Anyway here are some more ideas...

More Legos, legos and more legos

Fischertechnik

K'Nex

More exercise- more playtime outside, family walks, etc, if he is very brainy he may tend to stay inside and not get enough exercise, that is how my son is and he's nowhere near as academic as yours.

Logos programming software- how about teaching him the rudimentaries of computer programming?

Audio Books- you could start him with the Narnia Series and this will build his vocabulary, and give you time to work with the 8 year old uninterrupted.

Just some more ideas to throw out there. it sounds like he'll keep you on your toes! See if you can encourage some building/engineering type stuff, because if he gets into it, he can really go far.

I definitely wouldn't do more schoolwork...I can't imagine that would be good in the long run. Or you could ask him what he's interested in and maybe buy some self teaching stuff and go from there?

Like Chris said, it sounds like you have the exploring/fun stuff nailed. I'd get his a couple more workbooks to increase his formal school time. Check out the new things from Classical Academic Press. My dd did a Hey Andrew greek workbook when she was that age. There's a maps and globes series of workbooks. Ok, I found the title, it's Maps Charts & Graphs by Modern Curriculum Press. It's nothing fancy, but again it's something to do. And he could be doing the Stretch Your Mind workbooks from BJU and SM's CWP. He might like to do the First Favorites guides from VP. Just something to get his pile a bit bigger, since he's such a workbooky fellow. He could do one of the Imitations books (fables would be a good place to start) or just rewrite the fables in the version you're reading for SL. They're nice and short, just ideal. I'd definitely give him some memory work, something in a sequence that he can work through. IEW's poetry program is good and has a book to make it easy for him to work through. (still get the cd's, I'm just saying it's easy to implement)

My dd doesn't like worksheets, so that's sort of out of my field. There are so many cool things now, I think you shouldn't have trouble growing his pile. I'd just look for 3 or 4 more workbooks to add to the list, something to tingle his brain a little and get up the time spent.

BTW, you said he doesn't like the computer because it's slow? What was he trying to do? Has he played Fritz & Chesster? Zoombinis? Those are both crazy fun.

My son had issues developing his fine motor skills. The legos were very very frustrating.

He is 8 and is in 3rd grade. I just got him a Science Kit at a HS fair on electricity. http://www.elenco.com/snapcircuits.html. I know www.timberdoodle.com used to sell them.

I would look for things with a lesson book he can read and understand himself.

Pick a language with Rosetta Stone.

He says he wants more reading, art, and science projects.

From that I'd sit with him and make a list of topics he is interested in. Then I'd help him find books and brainstorm with him ideas for art projects that relate to the topic.

Dinosaurs - books about dinos, the jurassic period, etc. art projects could be building a dino skeleton from craft sticks, a diorama of dinos, drawings of dinos and their environment

Space - books about the solar system, books about individual planets, books about asteroids, comets, novas, the list could be endless. Art projects could be a model of the solar system, drawings/paintings of a galaxy, futuristic space travel vehicles

Plants - books about plants, art projects could be a chart of the parts of a plant, growing his own plants. Being a boy he might really enjoy looking into carnivorus plants like the Venus Fly Trap

Those are just off the top of my head. Anything he can read about will satisfy his need to read. Reading about science topics that interest him will help him dig deeper into his interests. Then doing some type of hands-on project will really cement the concepts for him.

Just help him plan projects that he can do mostly by himself. You really woudn't want him reading about ballistics and mixing up gun powder on his own.

Oh, if you can get him interested in the history of a specific scientific topic along with the topic you add another subject to cross off as completed.

He just does things around the house he sees needs done, like fold laundry, empty the dishwasher, empty the trash, I never have to ask him to do anything, he always goes beyond. He's just always thinking, always prepared, and so darn logical.

As for school, he takes his worksheets, does them and brings them for me to check, he knows he did well, if he's unsure he will come and ask. He doesn't like praise, he's just so easy to teach, I really don't feel I can take credit for teaching him. I just asked him about school and he told me "It's too easy.". He says he wants more reading, art, and science projects.

Wow, can you send him to my house so he can set a good example for my 6 y/o??? :lol:

What is an articiculation issue? I have a 7 yo who speaks "funny" mostly because she doesn't take the time to say things properly If I ask her to stop and say it properly, she will most often know how to express herself. A few tomes though shedoesn't know how to word what she is thinking

Is that what you are calling articulation issues?