Menu

Spelling Power?

EarthyMama

I ran a search but didn't see a thread with reviews.

We are using MFW and for 3rd grade they recommend Spelling Power.

For 2nd we used Spelling by Sound and Structure and liked it. I'm looking for reviews about SP and whether or not there's something better...

Spelling Power has worked wonders for us, and it really does take only 10-15 minutes per day. I thought my son was awful at spelling, but I found out that he is very good at spelling and only needed an effective program.

If you are looking for reviews, there are a fair number on Amazon.

HTH

I ran a search but didn't see a thread with reviews.

We are using MFW and for 3rd grade they recommend Spelling Power.

For 2nd we used Spelling by Sound and Structure and liked it. I'm looking for reviews about SP and whether or not there's something better...

I use the Spelling Power dictation/study method with Spelling by Sound and Structure. I think the workbook exercises are very valuable in S & S but I'm not a fan of the weekly spelling test. I did not like the reinforcement activity ideas from the Spelling Power task cards. I can't even remember an example of one of them. I read through all of a hundred or so cards and came up with maybe 10 that I didn't thoroughly despise. And of those 10 I couldn't bring myself to actually assign them.

I think S&S gives wonderful phonics instruction at higher and higher levels. Yes the 2nd grade book is pretty simplistic but it gets much more advanced. The 7th and 8th grade books have a whole section on language history which I think is just fascinating. Spelling Power does not have this depth of word coverage. But I do like the daily 5 min. dictation and the study sheet. Missed words are reviewed only once in Spelling Power but I do continually review missed words for nearly a month before dropping them.

We use Spelling Power and I like it. I like giving my daughter words that she does not know how to spell, rather than a list of spelling words that she may or may not already know how to spell.

Here's a link to several reviews of Spelling Power at Homeschool Reviews .com

http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/reviews/curriculum/reviews.aspx?id=341

Also curious. Not trying to hijack, but wanted to add a question, if that's ok?

Does anyone use the digital tutor with their spelling power program? I am using AAS and loving it for my dd but ds is more of a natural speller and does not care for AAS at all. I am hoping SP could work for him.

I use the Spelling Power dictation/study method with Spelling by Sound and Structure. I think the workbook exercises are very valuable in S & S but I'm not a fan of the weekly spelling test. I did not like the reinforcement activity ideas from the Spelling Power task cards. I can't even remember an example of one of them. I read through all of a hundred or so cards and came up with maybe 10 that I didn't thoroughly despise. And of those 10 I couldn't bring myself to actually assign them.

I think S&S gives wonderful phonics instruction at higher and higher levels. Yes the 2nd grade book is pretty simplistic but it gets much more advanced. The 7th and 8th grade books have a whole section on language history which I think is just fascinating. Spelling Power does not have this depth of word coverage. But I do like the daily 5 min. dictation and the study sheet. Missed words are reviewed only once in Spelling Power but I do continually review missed words for nearly a month before dropping them.

I would love to hear more about this. We are using S&S this year and really like it. I would like to stick with it, but worry I might be missing some of the benefits of SP. I would be interested in combining the best elements of both if you wouldn't mind giving more details of how you implement it.