Menu

Winterpromise

Has anyone used Winterpromise America I? What did you think? Was it fun and EASY to use?

We did. Yes, those are the two things I would say it definitely is: fun, and easy to use.

I love making little paper dioramas and stuff like that. If your kids aren't into crafts, it won't be as much fun. Most of the hands-on activities are just crafts. The read-alouds are fun, too, though, and the new spine, The American Story, tells all the exciting stories of American history.

It's amazingly easy to use. The supplies are listed by week and in general, and the readings and projects are laid out in an intuitive sort of grid. The most difficult part for me was sweeping up all the little pieces of paper after the kids had done all of the crafts for the day. However, before I had a photocopier at home, I found it harder. Many of the crafts need to be copied onto cardstock before you can do anything with them.

We did. Yes, those are the two things I would say it definitely is: fun, and easy to use.

I love making little paper dioramas and stuff like that. If your kids aren't into crafts, it won't be as much fun. Most of the hands-on activities are just crafts. The read-alouds are fun, too, though, and the new spine, The American Story, tells all the exciting stories of American history.

It's amazingly easy to use. The supplies are listed by week and in general, and the readings and projects are laid out in an intuitive sort of grid. The most difficult part for me was sweeping up all the little pieces of paper after your kids have done all of the crafts for the day. However, before I had a photocopier at home, I found it harder. Many of the crafts need to be copied onto cardstock before you can do anything with them.

:iagree:

We did AS1 when my dd was in 4th grade. It was a great year. We both learned a lot. Having a good printer was really handy, too. Honestly, we liked just about everything about it. No real complaints. We moved on to Sea and Sky because my sister-in-law really wanted to do it together. It is going well, but I would have really liked to continue on with AS2. Maybe next year we will go back to it.

It's amazingly easy to use. The supplies are listed by week and in general, and the readings and projects are laid out in an intuitive sort of grid. The most difficult part for me was sweeping up all the little pieces of paper after your kids have done all of the crafts for the day. However, before I had a photocopier at home, I found it harder. Many of the crafts need to be copied onto cardstock before you can do anything with them.

I have a question about all the copies though. If I'm using AS1 with 3 children, do I really need to buy three copies of all the consumable books i.e. Make-Your-Own American History 1 book, Make-Your-Own Native American book, Indian Tribes of North America coloring book, and the Plains Indians Teepee Village book? I really don't like having to make copies everyday for all three kids as I'm doing this year w/SOTW coloring/map pages. I just want to make sure I really need all 3 kids to have their own of each book since it will add a lot to the price. What are you making copies of if you do buy consumables for each student?

I'm really excited about using this next year! Thanks!

I believe that the non-WP exclusives (the MYOH hy pages, for example) are not supposed to be copied. The ones that are not their own, such as the 3-d maps, can be copied as many times as necessary for one classroom or family. You'll want to copy them onto cardstock anyway--it really does make the crafts easier. I just copied them all at the beginning of the year and kept them in a hanging file.

Terri

We just finished AS 1 a few weeks ago. We enjoyed it very much! I didn't buy many of the craft books, so I can't tell you much about those. My dc really enjoyed almost every book that we read (and so did I!).

As far as needing 3 of everything, you will need 3 copies of the MYO history pages, if you want all 3 dc to do them. They do not grant permission to copy those. I only had my oldest dd do them.

If I'm using AS1 with 3 children, do I really need to buy three copies of all the consumable books i.e. Make-Your-Own American History 1 book, Make-Your-Own Native American book, Indian Tribes of North America coloring book, and the Plains Indians Teepee Village book? I really don't like having to make copies everyday for all three kids as I'm doing this year w/SOTW coloring/map pages. I just want to make sure I really need all 3 kids to have their own of each book since it will add a lot to the price. What are you making copies of if you do buy consumables for each student?

Looking over the current list, I see that WP has cut out the use of a couple of reproducible paper craft books they incorporated the year I bought AS1. (So if you're getting a used IG, you'll need different books than are listed on the WP site.) Let me go book by book through what's there now.

I did not copy the MYO pages, as WP does not allow it. Anyway, the MYO for AS1 are not really things to do so much as things to read, so I would just buy one set for the whole family.

Colonial America and 3-D Interactive Maps-- You must copy these. You can't just cut them out of the book: either they'll be too flimsy, or the book isn't designed with that in mind so there's stuff printed on the backsides of the project templates that you will eventually need for another project.

Plains Indian Teepee Village -- This you are supposed to cut directly out of the book and assemble, and I think several kids could easily share one.

Indian Tribes of North America -- I'd buy one of these for each kid or plan on copying them (I'm pretty sure Dover grants reproduction rights to one teacher/one classroom). My kids like to color and would each want their own.

Does that help or make it more confusing?

Looking over the current list, I see that WP has cut out the use of a couple of reproducible paper craft books they incorporated the year I bought AS1. (So if you're getting a used IG, you'll need different books than are listed on the WP site.) Let me go book by book through what's there now.

I did not copy the MYO pages, as WP does not allow it. Anyway, the MYO for AS1 are not really things to do so much as things to read, so I would just buy one set for the whole family.

Does that help or make it more confusing?

I will be buying a new AS1, at least that's the plan. I thought the MYO books were what the student needed for making their notebooks. I thought I read on someone's blog that each child will want to make their own notebook. Also, I thought I'd need to get each child their own timeline figures. Correct me if I am wrong on any of this. And thanks for explaining it all! I guess I'd understand it a lot better if I had it and was looking at it personally. My other question about the timeline figures is which ones to buy. The WP ones seem to be a more filtered assortment which I think I would like, but the Homeschooling in the Woods one seems like a better value since I need copies for 3 kids. Any opinions?

I want to order it now but I'm still trudging through this years history (and very behind) and I'm afraid that if I actually have the AS1 in my house, I'll want to drop Middle Ages/Ren. without finishing it so we can begin Winter Promise, LOL! Thanks again!

I thought the MYO books were what the student needed for making their notebooks. I thought I read on someone's blog that each child will want to make their own notebook.

There are several components that are put together to make notebooks: the timeline book, the MYO books, and the timeline figures.

For most WP products, the MYO pages are interactive -- fill in this newspaper template, decode this puzzle, etc. For AS1, the MYO pages are clip art and text that the child is told, in the IG, to color. Sometimes the clip art was so obviously not intended by the artist to be colored that my kids couldn't find bits of white space to add color to -- it was all grayscale. Very occasionally there was something a bit more interactive to do on a notebooking page.

So, yes, the kids are assigned by the IG, every week, to place their MYO pages and their timeline figures in the appropriate space in their own history notebooks. I found that this activity had so little value/appeal, that having each kid do their own was overkill. We first gave up, then eventually ended up with one timeline notebook for the whole family.

My other question about the timeline figures is which ones to buy. The WP ones seem to be a more filtered assortment which I think I would like, but the Homeschooling in the Woods one seems like a better value since I need copies for 3 kids. Any opinions?

I'm not sure if filtering is that big a deal since the IG tells you by name which figures to use each week.

I chose the WP figures because they were in color. I regret that decision, now, though, because I'd rather have invested in a CD we could use over and over again. Coloring the figures would have been a better choice of notebooking activity than coloring the MYO pages with their goofy clip art.

I don't mean to sound negative about it. AS1 was the first time we notebooked, at all, and we ended up, after initially ditching it, really enjoying it. We are now a notebooking sort of family and do this in all of our subjects.

I am going to be doing AS1 starting June 30! I am so excited I can hardly stand it, and I see I will be in great company on that theme, most likely.

Rose is right, the notebook pages are mostly text to summarize or supplement the material you read each week. Sometimes it has a picture to color, sometimes a blank space for a child to draw an illustration. I would not buy more than one. If your children will feel "left out" by having only one notebook, you could use the WP MYO pages as a source and use them for copywork and inspiration for individual notebooks. (Naturally that only gets you one copy of each clip art though).

For our timeline, since I am doing this with a second grader I chose not to buy the Timeline Notebook. We will do an accordion folded timeline to pull out and show the whole "line" at a glance. (I had planned to put it on the wall of our "school room" but school migrated to the kitchen, which is not timeline friendly). That way we will start our timeline notebook at "page one" when we do ancient history next. We'll be revisiting the American years and fill in that area then.

For figures, I bought the WP color ones because they're so much cheaper and my ds detests coloring. However, if I had more than one student I would DEFINITELY have gone for the CD. That would give you more fodder for notebooking too, as the figures can be resized and used in many different ways.

Hope you have a great time with WP AS1!