Menu

A thread of Thank You for SWB....no CC please

Thank you Susan and Jessie for writing the WTM!

I first came across a copy of the book when I was expecting Dd.

Of all the library books I had checked out on the topic of home education, the WTM was the one which stood out from the crowd.

I read the book 10 years ago and I am re-reading it presently.

You both have been a tremendous source of encouragement through your writings, whether it be the WTM or the other books you have authored.

The WTM Forums board is an encouragement to home educators worldwide.

Blessings to you, your parents, your husband and children.

:)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adding my thanks to the chorus. I have a well-worn copy of TWTM around at all times.

I also appreciated your talks I attended in Greenville. Thanks for slogging through when you didn't feel well (I offered you a cough drop :001_smile:).

Dear Susan,

I read the Well Trained Mind along with loads of other homeschooling books to help out a friend who was interested in homeschooling her children; my son was three at the time. The quality of your book stood out from all the others. So when I pulled my son out of school after three unsuccessful years, where did I turn, but back to the book I'd read five years prior. Following your advice made the homeschooling experience incredibly rewarding for my son, for myself, and now for my Kindergarten age daughter.

It is no small thing to inspire others. You have inspired thousands.

Reading TWTM also led me (in retrospect, I was clueless at the time) to realize I WENT to a classical high school. Though it was called Oak Grove Coburn School when I went there; it was founded when Oak Grove Seminary and Coburn Classical Institute combined! The curriculum retained its classical flavor and methods. Sadly, the school is closed, but now I know why TWTM seemed so familiar and cozy!!

We also love SOTW!!!! History is alive in our house thanks to you.

THANK YOU!!!!

Kalmia

Susan,

I cannot thank you enough for being part of the homeschool world when I was researching this educational option. Being a former ps educator who had to eat her "I'm never going to homeschool" words, TWTM was the encouragement and guidance I needed when I came to the realization that sending *my* child to school was no longer something I felt right doing.

We are in our 3rd year, and I am consistently reverting back to TWTM when I need the inspiration, motivation, and courage to continue when the days are rough.

Discovering this forum was another gift you gave me (and others). I'm entirely grateful to have a place to go when I need some mommy time, some enlightenment, and some clarity as I continue this homeschooling journey. You are a blessing!!!

Thank you so very much!!! :grouphug:

Dear SWB,

Thank you SO MUCH for all that you've done for homeschooling.

2 years ago I started having panic attacks as my oldest child prepared to enter kindergarten. My own PS experience was... less than ideal. I was bullied frequently, and I feared my DD would encounter the same. I was raised by PS teachers, so homeschooling was a "hiss word" in our household, but I started looking into it as a "last resort" option, should DD start being bullied and no longer safe (emotionally or physically) at school.

I was a complete homeschooling ignoramous. I thought homeschooling was going to be buying one of those "complete curriculum" sets you can find at Costco, and trying to fill the hours of 8am to 3pm with worksheets and recess. The first few books I checked out from the library on the subject didn't help. They were all of the "Rah! Rah! Homeschool!" variety, gushing about the joys of doing unit studies, and/or going over the evils of public school. NONE of them explained how to actually DO homeschool. I even bought a book called "Homeschooling Book of Answers", but the people providing the answers were all unschoolers, whose responses to the question of "How do you prepare your lesson plans?" were "Lesson plans? Why would I want to do that?!" I felt like a hopeless case at ever figuring out how to school my own child.

I'd initially avoided checking out your book from the library because 1)the other books were much thinner, and 2) another homeschooling mom had discouraged me from reading it because "...you have to be Super Mom to homeschool the way that book says you should!" As a last-ditch effort I finally checked it out, and my whole world changed. FINALLY a homeschooling book that showed me what homeschooling can look like! More than just "You can use unit studies to teach your kids about pirates! Isn't that cool?!" it actually spelled out what the parent should do, what the student should be expected to do, and what order to do it all in. I finally felt like I had a map I could use to orient myself, and start on my homeschooling journey with my DD, and I was excited by the prospect of exposing my child to HISTORY, not just "Social Studies" (which I always thought was the most boring subject in my elementary years).

My DH and I finally decided to turn to homeschooling not just as a "Last Resort", but as a "First Choice". :D

Thank you for the wonderful new world you opened up for my family.

-Jenamarie

Oooo After reading her post I am going to buy her history books... I mean the "adult" ones. I already own all of the SOTW books! :D

Thank you for those books, my DD13 ate them up. Ok well not literally but she read them and re-read them. I am just starting ds9 on them and will use them with ds2 as well!

I am not a good writer so I don't have a lot of words to say but there it is!

You are amazing SWB! :grouphug:

Oh, thank you for everything, especially this board! I love that there are so many viewpoints here -- I have IRL friends in all different shapes & sizes, but nothing approaching the diversity here. You have made a welcoming "home" for so many people -- many, many thanks!

Dear SWB, this newbie HSing mama is SO grateful for you and the time and energy you have put into helping all of us give our children an excellent education!

After I decided to HS, I sort of panicked. Now what? What do I teach my kids? HOW do I teach my kids? What method? What materials? I kept hearing about The Well Trained Mind, so I finally ordered a copy off of Amazon and it was honestly one of the best book purchases I have ever made. I dug in and knew right away that classical was the right direction for us. Your step-by-step directions made me realize that I COULD do this. We are currently using SOTW 1, FLL 2 and WWE 1, and I am enjoying learning and re-learning things along with my children. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you. You have made my homeschooling journey so much smoother and my confidence has grown by leaps and bounds.

I have also been impressed by the strength and grace you have shown the last few days. Know that there are many thoughts and prayers on your behalf as you wade through this trial!

Dear Susan,

I had admired you from afar before attending the Memphis conference, and once I had heard you speak, and met you in real life, I admired and respected you even more.

I love your advocacy of homeschooling. I love the sense of empowerment you give to homeschooling moms through your materials (that make homeschooling so much easier) and through your encouraging words.

I also love the example you set. People often have a certain stereo type of homeschooling women, but you don't fit into any of their molds. You homeschool, you work, you run a business, you are a pastor's wife-- all rolled up into one great package. I LOVE that!! But you also set an example of Christian love and kindness. I have seen how you have responded to people with regard to the latest brouhaha. Your words have been mischaracterized and misquoted this way and that. Nonetheless, you have said nothing uncharitable about the nay-sayers, even those who have been less than charitable toward you.

Finally, you are very patient with those of us who massacre Latin. Thank you for that. I speak English and Legalese. My Latin will come along eventually.

I hope your writing day was productive-- I can't wait to read what you will present to us next.

I'll be forever grateful for the knowledge and wisdom that you and your mother have shared. If someone took away (all!) of my copies of The Well-Trained Mind, I'd feel as though I'd lost an appendage.

Thank you for helping me homeschool in a way that lets me enjoy (almost;)) every minute of it!

Can't thank you enough!

Had a BLAST with SOTW and the Activity Guide.

Read these forums Regularly and Recommend them All. The. Time.

I hope y'all are around when my kids start homeschooling. :)

Stay safe and happy- keep your chin up!!

Take care-- and God Bless!

:)

Edited by Peek a Boo

Dear Susan,

I am new to homeschooling(officially a year now). I've never been opposed to homeschooling, however my husband wasn't sold. My son is going to be entering grade 12, and I'd researched in K due to some issues, but as I mentioned, my hubby wasn't for it.

Fast forward to a year ago. The school had lost our then 6yo after school, letting her wander away, thankfully one of my older daughters classmates found her and brought her to the school. Then our 10yo was assaulted at school. The school lay blame at our feet for not stepping forward sooner, despite records of our communications with the school.

After that incident, my girls were in school for 1/2 day, I walked in, had them pack up their things. Done, buh-bye! We initially thought to transfer them, but no school wanted us so late in the year. We were being threatened with truancy, so we registered as homeschoolers. This felt right. Dh figured it was for the remaining 3 months of school.

I put out some help pleas to the local homeschool group, I was put in touch with a mom who has a small curriculum store. We talked and she told me to sign out some homeschool books to see where we'd fit, that it would help in choosing curriculum. The first on her list was WTM. I read a couple others before WTM was available to check out. I didn't relate to those books, but what you had to say, the guidance you offered was exactly what I needed. I knew what I needed to do. I knew that we were in this for the long haul.

Soon, dh realized this is where the kids needed to be! Our 6yo wasn't reading, didn't know her numbers, couldn't add or subtract, minimal phonics. In a month she was reading, spelling and had advanced significantly with her math facts.

He was thrilled!

DD11 progressed more slowly, she had(and has) healing to do, but we had her doing just the basics initially. She has come a long long way. She has surpassed her old classmates at this point, with only having used a few of your recommendations. Next year we're going 'hardcore' WTM at her request :) So it works, she observed how her little sister is doing and likes it, alot!.

By fall, dh had our older dd14 convinced homeschooling was the way to go, and she joined us for grade 8. She has been resistant to using the WTM method, but has asked to do it the WTM way for grade 9..lol.

AND, ds16 is asking if he can finish his high school with year at home!

Dh has stated that the littlest will never again be in school, he'll work 2 jobs if he has to to make it happen, never will she be victim of bullying as her brother and 1 sister did, nor will school mates have opportunity to corner and assault her.

Dh hasn't read your book, he doesn't have the attention span for it..lol. But he loves what he sees in his kids. He loves that his kids are bright, that they are learning many cool and interesting things.

So, again, thank you, Susan, I have read your book, perhaps not cover to cover, but I think I've covered every section at least a dozen times at various times, we just jumped in feet first! I've listened to your lectures(MP3), they are on my player, I have FLL 1-3, WWE 1-3, OPGTW, SOTW 1 -2. We love it all. You have guided us as though you were a dear friend next door :), while we may not do it all, perhaps even as it is meant to, my kids have learned so much. Thank you for taking time from your life and family to share with the rest of us. You've given us the knowledge to teach our own with confidence, the knowledge to research and choose curricula based on what we need, believe, and require of it. Your guidelines for selecting curriculum have been awesome. I know that if one of your suggestions isn't the right fit, then I can look to see what we need of it, and go in search.

Thanks!!!