Menu

A thread of Thank You for SWB....no CC please

Whatever faith or non faith you are, I thought maybe a thread to say Thank you for your help would be nice right about now. Let's really try and make this 100%, no debate, no negativity. Just how she has helped you. (ETA: If you are not sure where this is coming from, here.)

Susan,

I want to thank you. You do not know me, but I have really appreciated all of the materials that your mother and you have put out there. Reading TWTM was the first time that I really thought I could homeschool my kids. Every time I start getting off track I go back and reread sections of that book and get back on track.

Your curriculum have made this first year so much smoother than they could have been. FLL is wonderful, and at the age of 36 I am learning how to diagram a sentence myself for the first time.

Writing was one of the reasons that I pulled my son out of school. He spent his first three years in a small private school, he went from loving school to dreading it during this time, because of writing. Using WWE has changed that. He is still not a brilliant writer, but both of us are seeing progress, and he is so proud of himself. I had to stop myself from crying when the dictation finally clicked. Your program has helped my 8 year old son regain confidence in himself.

I also want to thank you for supporting this board. I am the only homeschooler I know, and this board has helped me emotionally, and when I have needed help with curriculum. Yes, it sometimes gets heated, but there is also so many great conversations that happen because of the freedom of discussion you allow here.

So thank you. As I said you do not know me, but our family sure is grateful to you!

Nicole

Edited by Northwest_Mama
not being clear.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Susan,

If it was not for you I would not be homeschooling. When my oldest was born I was so enthusiastic about the idea of school and socialization that when he was 18 months old I put him in preschool. Then I read The Well Trained Mind and I saw a vision of what his education could be like. I dreamt about homeschooling for several years - the guy spent FOUR years in preschool - and finally when he would have entered kindergarten I had the courage to start homeschooling him. We had already been listening to Story of the World Ancient Times for a year in the car and he loved it, so we kept up with that and it is his favorite subject of all time. We went with every curriculum you have written. We don't always use everything recommended or use things at a different level but the WTM is my ideal, my goal of everything I want my children to learn and experience in their education. Living in Berkeley I am surrounded my unschoolers (though I have found some WTM followers even here!) and having your encouragement to keep up the rigor and keeping at it daily have kept me on track. I went to see you when you gave a series of seminars in Sacramento and still listen to the CDs of your lectures.

I am so grateful for the Story of the World for inspiring my children to love history (and it has taught ME so much as well!), and your book with the wonderful literature recommendations, your encouragement to do grammar with diagramming (love FLL), recommendations for Latin (we would never have started without your book and it is one of my son's favorites!), and the systematic incremental writing instruction (I am so happy that my younger is getting to use WWE). I just can't stress enough how this has changed my life and I feel I have found my life's purpose, and also am getting the education I never had (I have the WEM and hope to get time to start using it on myself soon...) And I never would have imagined the richness of this life for our whole family, learning and growning together.

Thank you Susan (and your mom too!) for your impact on my family's life.

- Laura

Your WTM book, first edition, checked out of the library, totally changed how I viewed educating my children back when the oldest was only 7. Next year, we will be graduating our first home taught child. Thank you for writing clearly about the stages of learning and evaluating high-quality materials. You've saved me hours of research and many dollars of waste.

Thank you, Susan (and Jessie), for writing The Well-Trained Mind. I was introduced to homeschooling via a method that is something akin to classical unschooling. It was disastrous for my family. It didn't work for me. It didn't work for my kids. I was ready to quit homeschooling as a failure when I read TWTM. That book was like a life preserver. I finally had the structure and direction I needed to give my children a classical education. My children and I have fallen in love with history via The Story of the World. Reading The Complete Writer and listening to your writing lectures have helped me understand how help my children become better writers. Thank you again for all you've done and all you continue to do for the homeschooling community. :)

Susan,

I'm so thankful I found TWTM at the beginning of our homeschool journey. It gave a specific direction to a very nebulous vision for what dh and I wanted to be able to give our kids. Thank you for your dedication and commitment to excellence.

Thank you, Susan, for all your hard work. You think clearly and then explain your thinking to us so that we can all follow in your footsteps. I love what my child is learning using your materials and I'm grateful for all that I'm learning too.

And your Twitter feed cracks me up. :)

Thanks for all that you do.

Dear Susan,

Between my desire for an old-fashioned education for kiddo and my secularism, I believe I was heading for homeschooling in an unrewarding, chaotic, and therefore non-sustained fashion. I feel quite sure that without WTM, I'd have given up or just not started. It fit the bill, covered the bases, and scratched all my itches.

But you already know this, or you wouldn't keep doing what you are doing.

Most Appreciatively,

Kay

SWB and her mom are probably the reason I homeschool and feel successful at homeschooling. :D

:iagree:

I cannot even imagine homeschooling without the materials by SWB and Jessie. It would have been like traveling to a new country and not having a map. Thank you both for what you have done for education.

Lesley

SWB,

You and your mother have raised the bar of expectation of what a homeschool education can be. Thank you for the consistently excellent materials that you create and publish. Twenty years from now, my well-educated children will have you to partially thank. Allow me to thank you in advance.

With much appreciation,

Arin

Dear SWB,

You have given our family a chance to make homeschooling really work for us by giving us the Well-Trained Mind. It gives me the structure I need to keep pressing on, and keeps my eyes on the prize. Thanks for all your hard work, and keep preaching that good news of good prose!:D

Gratefully,

Caitilin

Susan,

Well Trained Mind is the first homeschooling book I have ever read when my oldest was 2.5 and it helped me choose Singapore math and Rod and Staff English.

Thank you for SOTW, WWE, and FLL, which we all enjoy very much. My kids ask to do SOTW and WWE every day of school. In fact, we listen to SOTW many times during lunch, in the car, and for the first subject after Bible in the morning.

Thank you, thank you!!!

I'm another who would not be homeschooling without WTM. I was reading about homeschoolers when my oldest was 2, but not considering doing it myself. Then I read WTM and suddenly I wanted to give my kids the classical education I never had. I've read lots of other things, but classical/WTM is just what fits us. I've learned so much and I love homeschooling; our family life is so much better than it would have been otherwise.

Susan,

You're a product of homeschooling and you seem to have turned out ok. Well, better than ok.

You're my homeschooling guru. I like your overall plan in TWTM, and I also appreciate the flexibility and trust of parents' instincts and abilities.

Thanks for being our tour guide on this awesome journey of educating the most important people in the world.

Joann

I found TWTM while cyberschooling and would NEVER have had the courage to ditch the cyber and go it on our own had it not been for you and this book. I also had the pleasure to hear you speak and it changed the way we homeschooled...for the better. Thank you for all you do. For this board, for your books, your willingness to teach and encourage and educate and everything else I don't have room to mention here. :D You are awesome!

Dear Susan,

I started out as an un-schooler and although I'm glad that I did because it allowed me to take baby steps into homeschooling and build my confidence in myself to do this thing, I realized once we hit about 5th grade that I really needed something more, but I didn't know what. I used different curricula from here and there to teach and my dd was doing great, but I felt that I needed more of a plan for the future as we headed into Middle School.

Through a want ad for used curricula on a different website I found out about this site. The seller's ad had somehow disappeared from the website before the transaction was finalized and when I emailed her about it she told me that she had had the same ad on the sale/swap board here as well and to just refer to the ad on here.

I sadly had never heard of you or your book before then, but when I came here I was amazed. First that you had a sub-forum dedicated entirely to home schooling special needs children. Both of my children are on the Autism spectrum and I was so used to be marginalized because I just didn't fit into the mainstream picture of things. I was used to going it alone because nobody else had a similar situation. It was so amazing to come here and see that there were people like me who had families just like mine. Ay, I'm getting emotional just typing this out!

But then after coming and hanging out here awhile I was amazed by the level of knowledge here and the sheer numbers of posters that visited this site! I'm still amazed at just how many people are here, from all walks of life, all over the world, sharing their lives and exchanging information and ideas! It's truly amazing.

After being here I bought your book and read it through and it resonated with me. It was exactly what I was needing. Although I have tweaked it to fit my personal situation, it's been a wonderful resource to me and has brought me through the Middle Schooling years and heading into High School next year with confidence. My dd's scores are higher than ever and she's just doing so well!

Thank you so much for your book and for this website. I will have been here 2 years next month and I'm just so grateful that I bought that curriculum and that it led me here.

Thank you for all that you do and for providing this place for us to come and share and feel part of a family. :grouphug:

10 years ago, my dh brought home some books about home education and outcome based education. He was sending them to his then homeschooling sister. They never made it to her. I had one 2 1/2 dg and nothing better to do than read them.

Thus began my journey into home education. I went to the library and checked out every book on home schooling I could find. Yours was among them.

From the moment I read your book, I knew I would be educating my children via TWTM. Your philosophy and rigor resonated with me. Now here I am on the boards, learning from you and so many wonderfully diverse people.

I am a better person for having found and read your book Susan, and for joining this forum. It is for these reasons that I am eternally grateful.

I part with the words that I say at least once a week, "SWB is my hero." :D

The idea of homeschooling my Aspie was entirely overwhelming when we first began to consider the possibility. At school he had a "real" teacher, two one-on-one technicians (one for the morning and one for the afternoon, because he was "too intense for one person to have to deal with all day"), assorted therapists, an office staff with a real affection for him as an individual person, and an amazing principal who orchestrated the whole team. The whole environment at the school was overwhelming and nervewracking for him with his sensory differences and social delays, and it produced a very unhealthy degree of stress for him, but honestly I doubted whether I would even be able to manage him at home all day, with a toddler, let alone actually teach him anything useful. I looked at a lot of packaged curricula and they just made the whole idea seem even more daunting because there was something about every single one of them that I could tell would be absolutely disastrous with this particular child. It wasn't until I found a copy of TWTM at my library that I finally found something that made bringing my son home sound even remotely feasible. It presented an approach in which the "plan" was not the boss of me. It showed me how I could be flexible in our learning while still maintaining structure, and without feeling the desperation of not being able to check all the "right" boxes at the "right" time. TWTM was my first glimmer of hope at a really dark time for our family. And it has borne wonderful fruit. I can't tell you how often friends and family tell me he's a completely different child from when he was in school. I even had a therapist call me in a panic because she thought there'd been a mistake and the file of another child with the same name as mine had been accidently merged with my son's file. It turned out that it was just the first time in the year we'd been working with her that she'd gone back and read the many, many pages in his records that dealt with the time before we began homeschooling. She honestly thought it really was a whole different child. And I'm not sure I'd have had the nerve to even try without TWTM. And then Story of the World was the first homeschool program that really "clicked" for us too. The things I like most about both TWTM and SOTW are the structure with flexibility approach, and the way religion is addressed. But I'm not going to go into that here since we're asked not to. I just like it.

And Susan, seriously, thank you. You have made a difference for our family.

Dear Susan,

I was not called to homeschool. I loved public school and excelled. To my dismay, my son HATED school, and that was K-2! He was bored and unchallenged. In your Joy of Classical Education MP3, you spoke about your family when you were children and the meeting with the psych. I had a similar meeting with a psych regarding my son. A friend recommended I homeschool him. After reading WTM and visiting this forum, I felt that I could do it! You gave me the push that I needed to do what my son needed. In an area where homeschooling is nearly unheard of, it was a very difficult decision...especially for someone like me who likes to fit in.

We're now in year 3. After one year of K, my second son came home as well. My 4yr old DD will likely not attend K at all. I continue to count on you, through your book TWTM, your MP3s and your curricula, to show me the way. You are that beacon in the night lighting the way. I'm sorry these people are getting you down. I know made worse by your illness.

Please know that you have changed lives for the better. You have saved many, many kids from poor educations. I am a secular homeschooler and I :001_wub: your materials. Thank you for trying to walk that very fine line.

I can't wait to see you in PA!

Capt Uhura

Susan, what you have done and are doing for homeschooling is so valuable for both Christians and non Christians alike, because of the way you perceive both sides. I really love your clarity around it all. I so appreciate it and I am here, having used your books, and am part of the community you helped to create, having sent my amazing kids off into the world well educated- because of you.

You have made a tremendous difference in my life and my kids' lives (even if my grammar is not completely remediated!).

Thankyou from the bottom of my heart

Susan,

You have no Idea how your books have helped my family. When I took my children out of school, my oldest ds was in grade 5, he could hardly read and couldn't write at all. The teacher had written him off , and told us that he would never succeed.

I had no idea how to homeschool, I didn't go beyond grade 10. I was lent your book, and immediately bought a copy. I blindly followed it, seeing that if we followed your recommendations, we will get there. My oldest ds is now 17, and has just about completed year 12, he is also doing university courses, and plans on becoming an engineer.

This is all because of your and your mum's marvelous book. You have changed our lives. Please don't get down by nasty pasty people.

Susan,

I could gush on and on about how wonderful you are. I just want to say this--I recently saw your youtube videos about your family's "quiet time" during the day, and came away feeling so reassured and so, IDK, blessed, I guess, that you have a real family doing real stuff with real intent and real heart! Real, real, real--that's how you make homeschooling. You don't over-glorify it (which would ultimately be discouraging when we hit the not-so-fun things) and you don't underestimate its impact (which would make it easier to stop!).

Can't tell you how I appreciate you. I know the PW world can be challenging, and to have the intent and "rightness" of your inner heart challenged must hurt like the dickens. Just know there's a whole bunch of people who really value your advice and teaching, and also value the way you live your life and bring it to others.

Chris

Well, I thank you for providing this forum as an alternate to the forum I was on 12 years ago where I couldn't acknowledge peacefully what religion I was.

I've met tons of great people here and the board is an essential part of my social life (yes, cyber-life). I refer my friends to it just because the people we have on it are great!

We all appreciate you -but you know that already, right?! Not everyone will ever like what adventurers do -and that's ok.

Susan,

I doubt I would be homeschooling without your book. I read the first edition of WTM when my youngest was under a year old. Over the years, I've found that when I start doubting a particular course or agonizing over a decision, I can usually find the answer, staring me in the face, in WTM. Thank you for all that you have done and continue to do for the homeschooling community.

When we first decided to homeschool, I read so many books on homeschooling that I actually gave myself eyestrain. But it wasn't until I read the WTM that I thought, "I can do this." Right away it became my homeschool Bible and it still is to this day. Eight years later we are still going strong and I only have Susan to thank for that. Thank you!

Susan,

Our family continues to enjoy Story of the World. You have a way of writing that makes history fun to learn.

Thank you.

And thank you for this forum.

edit to add: I really liked the workshop on homeschooling the "real" child. It was very encouraging.

-crystal

Edited by cbollin

Dear Susan,

After checking out and reading a few library books on homeschooling, my turn came up to check out The Well Trained Mind. Once I read it, I knew I could do it. The method you and your mother laid out made sense and set me on a wonderful path. Thank you for your efforts.

Susan,

A long time ago, I knew that I wanted my children to have a classical education. You gave me the courage to go against the grain and do it. I'm still going against the grain. Except for meeting you at a homeschool conference and having my copy of "Ancients" autographed at the Peace Hill Press table, I have never met IRL another classical homeschooler. I'm an anomaly in my area and WTM and this board continue to give me the encouragement I need to stay on track.

Thank you, a thousand times, thank you! DD, our first homeschool graduate, is now a paramedic and pre-med student. She's thriving in the competitive, grueling academic environment that medicine is. You helped me prepare her for that.

Faith

Edited by FaithManor

Thank you, Susan, for giving me the courage and support I needed to homeschool my children 6 years ago. I always turn to your materials first and I appreciate that you've helped me teach my children history, grammar & writing in such a simple & engaging manner.

Thank You!!!

Susan,

When my dc were 3yo, 1yo, and nb I could be found on any given morning watching them toddle around the backyard while devouring TWTM amongst other HSing books. The stories of your mother and yourself have inspired me to give my children the gift of a classical education.

Now that I'm teaching my children through the grammar stage, TWTM is like a clear map through the jungle of HS philosophy & curricula. WWE holds my hand so I can give my dc the writing skills I never had. (Please don't run a check on my spelling and grammar.;)) SOTW is a favorite read aloud (ds8 literally jumped up with glee when he heard there were *4* volumes:lol:). Dd5 love love loves FLL (which she affectionately calls "The Butterfly Book" b/c of the cover). Even my 4yo can spout off the definitions of nouns and verbs, tell a story about "Alexander the Grape":lol: and (He's the cutest!).:D

I consider TWTM the gold standard against which to compare other materials. Your work is greatly appreciated!:001_smile: Knowing you are another mom, who has gone and is going through the same struggles adds heart to your work.

Paula

ps~ Thank you for this forum. This is my teacher's lounge...and the only place to chat with other people who don't look at me cross-eyed when I talk shop.:tongue_smilie:

Dear Susan & Jessie,

I found your book when our oldest daughter was about five - it was 2000 or 2001. I was reading everything I could get my hands on at the time as my husband had temporarily agreed to homeschool for three years.

It was life altering. It opened our eyes to classical education. It brought "how to" down to the level of a 24 year old mom with two little children. We began to teach a la TWTM in our home.

We began to discover history was fascinating. Our daughter fell in love with words and language and truly we were able to challenge and stretch her little mind. As soon as The Story of the World came out, we bought it and fell in love with history. My two oldest children still find history to be their favorite subject. Ana actually just did a speech on why she loves studying history.

Using the same book his sister did, 100 Easy Lessons, Christian, who found reading far more difficult, tried to learn to read as well. Searching desperately, I found Peace Hill had just released a new guide for parents for teaching reading. We've now used it to teach Christian, Elizabeth, and Rebecca. Timothy and Abigail have read their first three letter words this past month, and even little Sarah (2) now knows her letters and phonetic sounds. Even she, at TWO, sits down with me and has a reading lesson. Do you know why? We instituted possibly one of the best overlooked gems of TWTM - the rule in our house where you can read or nap. :) If you can read, no nap. Every child in our home is DEEPLY motivated to read as fast as possible. :D

Because of the scripted lessons, even a child can teach grammar. First Language Lessons (3 & 4) is our "go to" manual for understanding grammar if we need a definition and an easy to understand definition. Currently, to reinforce his grammar, Christian is teaching Elizabeth her grammar each day. We love picture study, memorization, and copywork is worked into the lessons. I love that it's so easy even one of my older children can teach the younger one.

All of this is wonderful & our family is grateful. However, the single most important thing I've learned from TWTM is the importance of giving yourself an education. Ana is working her way through her freshman year of high school. Using several books, including TWTM, she has planned her own curriculum and credits for the current year. She is incredibly self motivated for the purpose of just being educated, well read, and to have purpose. And me? Where am I at in all of this now that she's taken wings and began to fly? I'm reading HER book list so we can discuss the books. :D I didn't get a classical education when I was in high school. I read the Black Arrow last week and Ivanhoe for the first time two weeks before that. Our homeschooling journey is the opportunity of a lifetime for our family.

Thank you.

Blessings,

~Kelly

Dear Susan,

Your book, TWTM, helped give me the vision for my homeschool and lay the foundation for it. Your OPGTTR has helped me lay a firm foundation in phonics and reading. FLL has helped me lay a foundation for grammar, writing and an early appreciation for literature with the little poems, fables and stories. SOTW has been a great spine for our history studies.

Your blog continues to encourage and inspire me and make me think. Your forum has helped me navigate the waters of graduating my first senior and getting her into the college of her choice. Your lack of *fear* of good healthy discussion and your willingness to allow people to voice beliefs, thoughts and opinions with which you, *yourself*, may not agree, has allowed *me* to learn, understand and appreciate things about people with whom *I* may not agree, but because I respect them, I would rather find a place of unity and common ground...than be *right* on non-essentials in my life. There are so many issues that our pride would have us believe are absolutes, that are just *not*. We may not end up swayed to believe the same, or vote the same, but because of this place, we can UNDERSTAND why others believe what they do, or vote the way they do, or make the choices they do. (Well, *mostly* :lol: )

So, I thank you. I have never met you face to face, but I am a better person and my children's education is richer, because of you. :001_smile:

Edited by MSPolly

Dear Susan,

Thank you so much for all your books, this forum, and everything you do to promote learning and education in this world. I found TWTM at the library and devoured it. I had to buy it because the book immediately became unrenewable because of holds. Following that I bought and read TWEM and OPGTR. My daughter is only three, but I now know the direction I will take with her in her education. She will go to outside school at DH's request, but I will afterschool thanks to this forum and your advice in your books. Even our choices in schools will be guided by the concepts of classical education.

I am also self-educating thanks to you. I am almost finished with History of the Ancient World and have an entire curriculum designed based on your suggestions in TWEM. Thank you so much for considering both adults and children in your quest to educate the world.

You have no idea how much you have helped me and made the idea of educating my child achievable.

Thank you - from the bottom of my heart.

Hi Susan,

I have to tell you a funny story. I read TWTM when dh and first thought about homeschooling our children. I read it and loved it. I really thought "I can do this." I shared reading it with a friend at church, the only longtime homeschooler I knew. She thought TWTM was too much and overwhelming. She bought a copy of "Educating the Whole Hearted Child". I read it from cover to cover and thought how overwhelming it would be! It's just funny how two people see things differently! Now lest you think I'm bashing Sally and Clay Clarkson, I've gotten so much good information about parenting from their books.

I am blessed to have ready your book first, to have a plan laid out for me that was doable from the beginning. I really hope at some point I can hear you speak in person. If not I do sincerely wish you joy in your journey!

Cheryl

Where do I begin? You are a rockstar in our house! Meeting you would be a bigger deal than meeting anyone in Hollywood! LOL My kids LOVE your curriculum and I love your books also. We are only in our second year of homeschooling and my copy of TWTM is ragged! I have read and re-read and marked each page. It is the first book I recommend to others. It is so discouraging that you have dealt with unkindness. I am so sorry. You and your mother are positive role models for so many. You and these forums are so uplifting especially for those of us who homeschool without much support. Please carry on and know that you continue to make a difference in the lives of so many.

I am another who never would have had the courage to try this homeschooling bit had I not read The Well-Trained Mind. All the homeschoolers I knew growing up were NOT what I would ever want for my children. When I read WTM, I realized that there could be structure to homeschooling. The book really grounds me, too. Thank you for all of your hard work and dedication, and also for hosting this forum, which without it I would be completely LOST.

Susan,

Thanks so much for going through this weekend for us. I dragged my husband to 2 of your lectures (The Real Child and Writing K-12), and we thoroughly enjoyed both of them. We agreed that they gave you the crummiest lecture hall ever, but we still came away feeling encouraged and uplifted. It was also great for dh to get some insight into the methods I'm trying to use in educating our children.

Thank you for your down-to-earth insights. And thank you for being an example of someone who lives her religion without hypocrisy or self-righteousness.