Menu

American History Curriculum for K-4th?

redtexas

I am looking to do a little American History with the kiddos this next year and could use some help coming up with a plan. I would like to start with Leif Erikson and continue through the Constitution. I would like to read to the kids and do a few activities. Anyone put anything together that they can share or what they use? I have seen lots of good books, but not sure how to put things together to make it flow well and then add activities on top of that.

Thanks,

Crystal

oh, I don't want to use MWF, HOD, etc. I am just looking for unit on American History.

I hope others chime in, as I think you have a great idea.

Here are some things which come to mind:

-- D'Auliere books plus some History Pockets

-- Beautiful Feet Primary Early American

-- America's Story (from Queen Homeschool)

-- Guesthollow.com has free ideas and curricula

-- some readers/read-alouds from Sonlight Core 3

The If You series is very helpful. You can get them 4 for 3 on amazon.com or check your library. I will be using those as a spine for Early American history.

If You Lived with the Iroquois

If You Lived with the Hopi

If You Lived with the Indians of the Northwest Coast

If You Lived with the Sioux

These titles line up nicely with Native American history pockets for grades 1-3, plus the activity book More than Moccasins by Laurie Carlson. There are several If You titles that deal with subjects such as the Mayflower, American Revolution, the Constitution, etc. You can go through them in order and add other books and activities.

The You Wouldn't Want to...series is also fun.

You wouldn't Want to Be a Viking Explorer

You Wouldn't Want to Sail with Christopher Columbus

HTH!

Guest Hollow has a free Amer. Hist. curriculum. There is a schedule, list of books, activities, etc. It is geared toward the 3rd grade level but easily adapted for older/younger.

And she is very friendly if you have any questions or need advice too. I was thinking she even had a list for the younger ages available too?