Menu

Help! I don't know what to do...

Guest De4kids

Guest De4kids

My 9th grade daughter is floundering in Algebra I. I believe the fundamental problem is that she never mastered some of her basic mathematics skills, so she is SLOW in everything she does that is math related. (I am working on those basic skills with her again NOW.) IN addition, we are inching our way through Teaching Textbooks Alg. I. (I'm not sure I like it, but at least it provides ANSWERS AND SOLUTIONS to review when we do not understand a concept. She comes by her inadequacies naturally as the apple does not fall far from the tree!)

She insists that she understands, but she really does not. Here, we are now half way through the 9th grade year and in FLORIDA we must have 4 credits of math with ALG. I being the minimum. She will not have this course completed by the time we need to move on to the next subject at our current pace.

What would you recommend? Should we find another book and start over skipping over the little bit she knows with an effort to expedite to finish by summer's end? (If so, do you have a curriculum you can rec'd for the "non-math-minded" student/mother? Answers and Solutions are a must.)

I have considered hiring someone professional to assess her and to find out just where her learning "holes" are so we can focus on what she DOESN'T know and move on, focusing on those things.

We are simply at a loss as to know how to continue. If it were not for state mandates I would just forge ahead at a slow pace until she gets it. But, saying that, I'm not so sure this is the right book anyway for her.

I am not saying all of this succinctly but I am rushing out the door in ten minutes to go to church! Please forgive me for rambling!

Basic question review: How do we ((9th grade 14 year old) get through Algebra at a pace where we will finish by summer's end? How and WHAT (curriculum) do I teach to someone who simply DOES NOT think intuitively about math and struggles with concepts of fundamental degree?

If this makes any sense to you, I would greatly appreciate any insight you can offer.

Many, many thanks,

De

My dd is 10th, last year we went through these same questions. She had done Abeka for Math 4-7 and prealg. So the next logical step was alg 1. But by Nov of her 9th grade year she was failing. I took her back to pre-alg and had her redo it with another book. We worked through the summer to catch up. We started with Lial's algebra book this fall, and having the review and another year to mature, she has done great.

Luckily in CO we don't have to do what the schools do for classes, and even if we did, it is only 3 years of math. But could you go back for a review or pre-alg for the remainder of this year and summer. Then do year round math until she graduates. There is no point in pushing forward when they don't understand what came before, it only leads to more confusion and the feeling that they know nothing and are stupid.

I believe the fundamental problem is that she never mastered some of her basic mathematics skills,

If this is the case, you need to address THIS first - any attempt to finish algebra without a working knowledge of pre-algebra, i.e. arithmetic with fractions and integers, is futile.

She insists that she understands, but she really does not. Here, we are now half way through the 9th grade year and in FLORIDA we must have 4 credits of math with ALG. I being the minimum. She will not have this course completed by the time we need to move on to the next subject at our current pace.

You can not move on to a new subject until she has understood the previous one. Math does not work this way - if you rush, there will be holes that come back to hurt her in later math.

What would you recommend? Should we find another book and start over skipping over the little bit she knows with an effort to expedite to finish by summer's end?

I have considered hiring someone professional to assess her and to find out just where her learning "holes" are so we can focus on what she DOESN'T know and move on, focusing on those things.

If you can have somebody assess her, that would be useful. I would spend the time on pre-algebra, making sure her skills are solid. If she needs to have algebra 1 and three other math classes, she may have to double up at some later point, or do a math class over a summer - but rushing her through algebra 1 without a pre-algebra foundation is useless.

Basic question review: How do we ((9th grade 14 year old) get through Algebra at a pace where we will finish by summer's end?

This is not the answer you want to hear - but if, as you say, she struggles with the basic math skills: you probably won't get her to finish algebra by the end of summer. Not if she is to actually master the material.

I recommend you try to come up with a plan that involves a thorough pre-algebra review so that she is ready for algebra in the Fall. The assistance of a professional or tutor may be helpful if, as you say, you are not able to teach her. Then, with the skills in place, algebra will go much quicker. But pushing a student without basic math skills through algebra 1 is not going to work.

I agree with what Regentrude has said. She has to master the basics and the only way to do that, is to go back - a tutor would be money well spent and a good one should be able to direct you to the best curriculum for your daughter. She can always make up the time in the future by doubling up and doing geometry along with algebra II or doing it during the summers or using a curriculum that incorporates it into the algebra texts.

Hello,

Perhaps try signing her up at www.aleks.com choosing a pre-algebra course first. It will test her to find the gaps and then present material until she gets it. THEN, take a fresh look at algebra again. And it is cheap -- and there may even be a free trial offer somewhere.

Personally, we began using Math Relief Algebra 1 last year and, though my 14 y.o. son still is moving slowly through it, he is really understanding it and there's no drama... I think we are at lesson 92 which means he will finish by end of 9th grade -- we started while he was in 8th. Bottom line --- he is learning!

Good luck!

Kristin in Hawaii

This is the Florida math requirement for students graduating in 2014:

4 credits, one of which must be Algebra I or its equivalent and one of which must be in geometry or its equivalent, or a higher-level mathematics course

I read this to mean that she needs to have Algebra I and geometry to graduate, but lower level courses, such as prealgebra and consumer math, could be the two other courses.

I agree with the others that if at all possible you should get her working with a tutor.

:grouphug:

I understand. I've posted on the Middle School board about my 13 yos. I do understand.

It is best not to push math. I want to push my son, but I've decided to let him move along at his own pace. He'll have to do math every summer until he graduates, but that is ok.

If you need Algebra 1 and Geometry, then your child can do Algebra 1 in 9th and 10th.. getting the credit in the 10th. She can do Geometry in the 11th and 12th... getting credit in 12th. You can do the other 2 math credits concurrently and you'll have your 4 credits. What other maths will count? Business math? Consumer Math? General Math?

My son (and I) were just very frustrated. I went to Barnes and Noble and got 3 math workbooks. He needs review and lots of practice PLUS a change of pace.

Perhaps your daughter would benefit from just doing math a little differently for a while. Workbooks from a bookstore, an online program, or worksheets printed off the internet might all be good ideas.

IF we could afford a tutor, I'd get one. But , sadly, that is completely out of the budget for us. If you can afford a tutor that might be your best bet.

I would (and did):

1. take a short break from all math... a week tops. That gets the current frustration out.

2. List out and pray about all your options.

3. Find out what math courses count for the 3rd and 4th credits. Pray about how to fit them in over the next three years.

4. Get something different to review for the short run. Workbook or online.

5. Test to see her real placement and proceed from there.

:grouphug:

I just had to back my dd14 up to almost the beginning of Saxon Alg. 1 for much the same reason. She just was not "getting it". She will likely not finish by summer's end but I'm ok with that. She is not heading into a math-heavy career. It is best to back it up and make certain that she "gets it" before moving on. You could try a different program for a change of pace. I would recommend Life of Fred...starting with the Pre-Algebra courses if necessary. Beginning Algebra is the Alg. 1 course followed by Advanced Alg. My ds12 who does not think mathematically at all is doing well with Fred. :grouphug: It's going to be ok. Your dd will graduate. :)

Ds (9th) was not getting Algebra 1 either. So I stopped and tested him and he was placed in TT Math 7. For the past month we have been focusing on whole numbers and fractions. Next month we will focus on decimals and percentages. While doing this I am augmenting with math computer games. I will also start moving through the Pre-Algebra book.

I figure once it really starts clicking for him he will speed up his pace, we will do math year round, and when time we will do Algebra 2 and Geometry simultaneously to catch up and be on track.

Wow De, my dd just turned 14, is in 9th grade and is struggling with Algebra concepts as well. We, too, are wading slowly through TT Algebra 1! I also do not have the knowledge base to help her. My DH does, but they have to work on it in the evening when they're both tired, and tend to get frustrated more easily.

She did TT Pre-Algebra when she was 10/11, and did fine! We've seemed to spin our wheels and go nowhere since! Right now she's struggling with Order of Operations and negative numbers. There may be other things she struggles with as well.

--Is there such a thing as an affordable tutor? We haven't found one yet!, as much as I would LOVE to find one!

--How would we go about getting a good assessment of her abilities and find the holes? I don't mean the Saxon or TT placement tests. I mean a REAL assessment with REAL (and helpful) information on what she needs and where to go from here! :)

I've been told to learn along with her. I have to a point, but this old brain learns way to slowly to be able to comprehend it well enough in short order to explain it to her in a way she'll understand! So that's not one of my options, just so you know. :D

Thanks for bringing this topic up!

She did TT Pre-Algebra when she was 10/11, and did fine! We've seemed to spin our wheels and go nowhere since! Right now she's struggling with Order of Operations and negative numbers. There may be other things she struggles with as well.

My ds struggles with fractions, decimals, and percents not to mention being a little sloppy!

How would we go about getting a good assessment of her abilities and find the holes? I don't mean the Saxon or TT placement tests. I mean a REAL assessment with REAL (and helpful) information on what she needs and where to go from here! :)

Go to Sylvan Learning for their free math assessment (they also have one in English). They announce it a couple of times per year. You do have to schedule a meeting to discuss the results. I am very honest at the meeting and let the director know I'm not interested in signing up for services unless I find he is not making improvement with me. So far so good althogh slow!