Menu

Let's say you saw a roach in your bedroom right before bedtime...

When we lived in Florida we would get a couple HUGE ones every month (spraying doesn't help when they fly in the open door). The worst was NC(giant and fast). I became very good at killing them. They were all over. At least 1 a day. DH would often laugh at me while I "stalked them. Thank goodness they don't eat your food, otherwise we would have left NC much sooner.

I would give a right appendage to only have one a day. Bah humbug. They come out in droves around here once evening sets. It's horrible. Spraying seems to do nothing. Everybody in the subdivision has complained about the same issue. I'm not sure if it's the age of the homes (most of the homes in our subdivision are circa the '50's), or the general climate (the south).

I live in Savannah, GA, and we have the same lovely palmetto bugs. I hate them. I still would have slept in the room though, because the option of moving the mattress to the floor of another room, in my mind, just makes it easier for them to climb on the bed there, since it is on the ground. It isn't exactly logical, since they can walk on the walls without a problem, but that's just how I would have done it.

Not just any roach....a small(ish) palmetto bug....you know, those wonderful roach-ish bugs we have down here in Florida. Well, if you saw one of those in your bedroom as you were coming in to go to bed, and then you couldn't find it, would you still sleep in there??

The other night DD4 and I walked into our bedroom for bedtime, where DH and DD6 were already asleep, and I saw something skitter past my feet. :svengo: At first I thought it was a shadow since it was dark....but then the shadow kept moving underneath our chest of drawers. I ran and got a shoe to whack it with. But when I got back, I couldn't find it!! There's not many places to hide in our room and I still couldn't find it. I'm crawling around, in the dark, on my hands and knees, shining a flashlight in every nook and cranny while my 4 year old cowers on the bed and my DH and DD6 sleep peacefully unaware.

I DESPISE roaches. DESPISE them.

Since I couldn't find it, I began pulling the mattress off the full bed in our bedroom (we have a queen in there for us and a full for the kids) and hauling it into the playroom to sleep.....cause I sure as heck wasn't sleeping with a roach!

Am I crazy? LOL! I woke DH up and he said to just leave him in there. :001_huh: I was taking the kids into the playroom with me. I'm way too paranoid of having a roach crawl into my ear, nose, or mouth! My skin crawls just thinking about it.

Thankfully, when I was pulling up the mattress, the roach appeared on the wall RIGHT BEHIND OUR PILLOWS. If we had just laid down, it would have crawled right on us! DH was able to get up and squash it. Then I changed our pillow cases (just in case that icky bug had touched them) and we were able to sleep in our own bedroom that night.

Is anyone else as paranoid as me? Or would you have just sucked it up and slept in there?

We have our house sprayed monthly so usually any roach that we may see if either dead or dying. This one obviously had not yet encountered any of it LOL...it was moving quicky.

I'm sorry--- I stopped reading at "small(ish) Palmetto bug". That's an oxymoron!! :smilielol5:

But, yes, I would have freaked. I'm not sure what I would have done, though. Maybe try to sleep in the bed. We get these creepy see-through centipede/millipede things in our room that explode into a million pieces when you hit them. Once, I woke dh out of a sound sleep because one crawled under my nightstand. We tore the place apart looking for it to no avail. Eventually, I gave up and went to sleep. I hate bugs. I *despise* Palmetto bugs! I had one fly into my hair as a kid and I have never forgotten that feeling. Ugh!!

I would give a right appendage to only have one a day. Bah humbug. They come out in droves around here once evening sets. It's horrible. Spraying seems to do nothing. Everybody in the subdivision has complained about the same issue. I'm not sure if it's the age of the homes (most of the homes in our subdivision are circa the '50's), or the general climate (the south).

As a kid the joke was that Palmetto bugs drank Raid for fun. Those suckers are the one thing I would *hate* about moving back to Florida. The cleanest houses have them.... if you see one, you have a problem. It you see several, you have a major problem. And, yes, I think the age of the house has a lot to do with it.

Dh laughed at me when we first met --- we don't have Palmetto bugs here (nor roaches, really, just the odd little wood roach outside), and yet I kept my cereal in the fridge for several years after we met. After he saw his first Palmetto bug on a trip to Florida, he understood why I did that!

.... Thanks to this thread, I'm having flashbacks of my dad cutting the palm fronds off our tall palm trees and watching those suckers come tumbling off the tree in flocks (they are as big as birds, so I say they group in flocks!). Eeek!!

As a kid the joke was that Palmetto bugs drank Raid for fun. Those suckers are the one thing I would *hate* about moving back to Florida. The cleanest houses have them.... if you see one, you have a problem. It you see several, you have a major problem. And, yes, I think the age of the house has a lot to do with it.

Dh laughed at me when we first met --- we don't have Palmetto bugs here (nor roaches, really, just the odd little wood roach outside), and yet I kept my cereal in the fridge for several years after we met. After he saw his first Palmetto bug on a trip to Florida, he understood why I did that!

.... Thanks to this thread, I'm having flashbacks of my dad cutting the palm fronds off our tall palm trees and watching those suckers come tumbling off the tree in flocks (they are as big as birds, so I say they group in flocks!). Eeek!!

We see several, nightly. It's horrible. Nobody (in our neighborhood) has been effective in getting rid of them. I'm sure the boxes in our basement play role as well - the basement is our storage... and the laundry down there (clean and/or dirty at any given time, since that is also where my laundry area (washer/dryer) is located).

When my friend visited from the NC mountains, she screamed "Roaches!!! You have tons of Roaches!" (we were outside and they were doing their march through the neighborhood and the lawn). I just chuckled. I can't even try to get rid of the suckers any more.

I'm with you!  I'm a brave, brave woman for the most part.  I'll tackle venomous snakes, spiders, scorpions, maintain a calm demeanor for wildlife and unknown big dogs all on my own, etc., but roaches leave me powerless and screaming like a little girl.  I HATE them!  Even WALL-E couldn't cure me of this (admittedly irrational) fear.  So, no, I wouldn't have slept in there if it couldn't be found, and I would probably not have been as considerate of my dh as you were of yours.  My freak out would most likely have woken him up, and then he would have dealt with it.