Menu

Natural allergy remedies? Anybody know of any that work?

My ds10 has always suffered from allergies this time of year (pollen). He is simply miserable. Runny nose, watery/red eyes, headaches (from sniffing in instead of blowing his nose, KWIM?), sneezing, etc. Poor guy. I don't want to dope him up w/ anti-histamines and make him drowsy. We went the Claritan route last year and it worked but it is expensive. Are there ANY natural remedies/medicines for allergy sufferers out there that you know of? I just hate the thought of another spring/summer doped up on Claritan for the poor guy.

My son has terrible seasonal allergies. I do give him Benadryl at night and Advil (helps the swelling of the throat and nasal passages) during the day. One thing that has helped ds a lot is a neti pot http://www.neilmed.com/usa/netipot_adword.php?gclid=COulqpyNkZMCFRr7lgodZCQUfA. Here's a link, but you can find them at your local health food store. It takes some getting used to, but it provides a lot of relief. When our pollen is really bad, ds might use it three times a day.

Do you have covers on all the bedding in your house? How often are you washing your ds's sheets? I find 2-3 times a week makes a huge difference. Don't dry the linens on a clothesline. Do you have him take a shower each and every night? The shower and hair washing are crucial here if ds has been outside at all. I've found that removing anything (and I mean anything) that might hold pollen is a must. Get rid of curtains in his bedroom. Stuffed animals - lose all that you can. If he has carpet, seriously consider replacing it with a laminate or hardwood. We've gradually applied all of these changes throughout the entire house (took a few years), but it has been well-worth it.

Yikes! I never even thought to do all those things! Wow...thanks for the tips. I'll look up the neti pot. My ds does NOT like to shower or bathe every day, but I suppose now he'll have to! Yeah! As for sheets...ummm...I'm very bad about washing them regularly. In fact, I told ds's tonight to bring up their linens tomorrow to have them washed. It's been a while. :001_huh: Thanks again!

I have used Dr. Christopher's Sinus Plus formula with great success. For best results, it really needs to be combined with a shift in diet to focus on fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, nuts and seeds and less if at all dairy (really the worst for congestion) red meat, flour, and sugar or anything else processed. That said, my friend has been using the Sinus Plus and she is not super strict with her diet and she used to be on heavy allergy medicine and it is helping. I have also used a product by Source Naturals called Allercetin and it works very well for my dh's severe cat allergy as well as general pollen allergies.

Any chance you can get some fresh raw local honey?

I have used Dr. Christopher's Sinus Plus formula with great success. For best results, it really needs to be combined with a shift in diet to focus on fresh fruits and veggies, whole grains, nuts and seeds and less if at all dairy (really the worst for congestion) red meat, flour, and sugar or anything else processed. That said, my friend has been using the Sinus Plus and she is not super strict with her diet and she used to be on heavy allergy medicine and it is helping. I have also used a product by Source Naturals called Allercetin and it works very well for my dh's severe cat allergy as well as general pollen allergies.

Any chance you can get some fresh raw local honey?

My pantry always has some fresh, raw local honey! Really Raw Honey co. is based in Baltimore (very near to us) and I get it from our local health food store...when they have it in. In fact, just went there this evening to get more and they were all out! I ordered some! Anyway, I will try the Allercetin, Dr. Christophers and the diet changes. As for the honey, I doubt he'll eat it thought. He's never really taken a liking to honey like my dd has! She and I eat it by the spoonful and in our smoothies! Oooh...ds DOES like the straw/banana (heavy on banana) smoothies...I'll just add extra honey to it!

My pantry always has some fresh, raw local honey! Really Raw Honey co. is based in Baltimore (very near to us) and I get it from our local health food store...when they have it in. In fact, just went there this evening to get more and they were all out! I ordered some! Anyway, I will try the Allercetin, Dr. Christophers and the diet changes. As for the honey, I doubt he'll eat it thought. He's never really taken a liking to honey like my dd has! She and I eat it by the spoonful and in our smoothies! Oooh...ds DOES like the straw/banana (heavy on banana) smoothies...I'll just add extra honey to it!

LOL, I was going to suggest RRH too. I'm completely hooked on that stuff...and NOT for allergies!

some quickie things that *could* help. (These were recommended to me in England when I was pregnant as they really don't want you "doing drugs" even for allergies.)

Ensure he's drinking enough water. I was told it helps "dilute" the histamines in your system.

Smear vaseline on the inner lining of the nose (q-tip works well for this). This "blocks the receptors in the nose from picking up" the histamines.

Those did help some, but I still wound up taking a light medication.

Oh, and the Benadryl at night really works for my son. I only have to do it every other night at it's worse (but he has them fairly light), and then nothing during the day.

LOL, I was going to suggest RRH too. I'm completely hooked on that stuff...and NOT for allergies!

Hee, me too. It never occurred to me that it could have any use for allergies.

Okay, for the main question. Years ago Dr. Weil suggested freeze-dried stinging nettles -- they're in capsules from Eclectic Institute. (Many people suggest taking nettles in some form, but the freeze-dried from Eclectic Institute have a better track record, I believe -- they've been tested in a double-blind study.) He also recommended Quercetin, which is related to vit.C. He recommended starting this regimen a few weeks before allergy season started. I forget which book this was in that he had all this info -- you might be able to google it and come up with an article.

Dh started following the recommendations, and it didn't totally cure his allergies -- he still needed some meds. BUT, he needed a LOT less, and generally felt better overall.