Menu

Introductory Logic or Traditional Logic?

Guest Bethabstevick

Guest Bethabstevick

Hello,

I've never posted on anything before in my life, so please bear with me if I'm doing it wrong...

I'm trying to choose between Introductory Logic by Canon Press and Traditional Logic by Memoria Press. Any advice would be most welcome, especially if anyone can compare between the two.

Thank you very much.

Now I have to figure out how to read the responses. :) I won't tell you how long I stared at the screen before I finally figured out how to post.

Bethabstevick

Hi there and welcome! You are doing great! :001_smile:

I've hung out on the high school board for a long time now, and the general consensus there seems to be that the Memoria Press books are the way to go. People say it laid out nicely, is very user friendly. In fact, that is what I am going to use with my 8th grader next year.

If you go to the high school board, and do a search for threads about logic or Traditional Logic, you'll find several informative discussions. The search function, by the way, is on the toolbar along the top of the forums, and it is highlighted in red. If you can post a question, you can do a search too!

Hope that helps

My Introductory Logic books and videos were put up for sale "never used", and my Traditional Logic books will be used by each of my kids. We start Trad Log in 9th grade and take about 3 semesters to do it--giving one credit for the course.

I looked at IL, watched some of the videos, read through the beginning of the book...and put it down and never came back. I just could not get "into" it.

I slowly worked my way through TL with my first child, and we learned a lot. My kids refer back to what they have learned in daily conversation, and they puzzle over their "logic-less" peer group. LOL!

Just my experience--

J

Here's a link to a comparison between both courses that I found helpful: http://www.memoriapress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406 Please note that this is written by the author of the MP logic materials, Martin Cothran.

Like Jean in Wisc, I have both sets too. After reviewing both programs, I plan to use the TL series in either the 8th or 9th grade. My oldest son will be in the 7th grade next year, and I'm hoping to work through the series on my own before he gets there.

HTH!

• 1 month later...
Guest Sandy3boys

Hi,

I tried to get through Introductory Logic with my oldest son a few years ago (before it was revised), but we didn't get far. This past year, I had the privilege of "teaching" a group of about 16 mostly middle schoolers Traditional Logic I. It started out a little bit dry and esoteric, but we all seemed to take to it by the end.

One student who had also started Introductory Logic before taking my class made an interesting comment. He said that he learned twice as much in half the time in our Traditional Logic class.

I'm trying to choose between Introductory Logic by Canon Press and Traditional Logic by Memoria Press. Any advice would be most welcome, especially if anyone can compare between the two.

I'm in agreement with the others who have replied thus far. I've spent a good bit of time comparing the two programs and listening in to those who have firsthand experience (such as Jean in Wisc). Based on that, my preference is Traditional Logic. I hope to use it with my oldest either this upcoming school year or the one following ~ more likely the latter, when he's a 9th grader.