Menu

LOF math: Is it necessary to supplement?

My ds12 is using Fractions, Decimals and Percents. He switched to this from Saxon 8/7 b/c Saxon brought him to tears. LOF doesn't seem as "complete" as Saxon and I wondered if I might have to start supplementing? If so, with what? And, where does he go after Dec/Percents? Thanks!

I've only seen LOF Fractions and LOF Decimals, but those two books definitely fall into the "supplemental" category for us. We're using them to reinforce Singapore 4A/B. I'm planning to use LOF Pre-Algebra with Biology and Pre-Algebra with Economics next year to supplement Singapore 5A/B.

I've only seen LOF Fractions and LOF Decimals, but those two books definitely fall into the "supplemental" category for us. We're using them to reinforce Singapore 4A/B.

:iagree:

We are also using these to supplement Singapore. We consider them a fun supplement, not a stand-alone course.

That was my gut feeling, too. It just didn't seem complete. Now where to go? He hates Saxon. He will be in 8th grade next year and is planning to go to ps for high school. Here, Algebra 1 for 9th is standard in the high school. So, I don't see any reason to push him into Algebra 1 in 8th. Any suggestions for something to "round out" the LOF series? And, should I get the Pre-Algebra books for him for next year? Thanks for any advice anyone has!

That was my gut feeling, too. It just didn't seem complete. Now where to go? He hates Saxon. He will be in 8th grade next year and is planning to go to ps for high school. Here, Algebra 1 for 9th is standard in the high school. So, I don't see any reason to push him into Algebra 1 in 8th. Any suggestions for something to "round out" the LOF series? And, should I get the Pre-Algebra books for him for next year? Thanks for any advice anyone has!

Any regular math program that you like would do. Fractions, Decimals & Percents, and the Pre-Algebra books are all meant to be supplemental. It helps to have already learned the concepts covered in the LOF books before you use them because it doesn't really teach the concept thoroughly, LOF just helps you think outside the box with concepts you've already learned in a fun way. My understanding is that the Algebra books are a full program. As much as we love LOF, I would never use them as a stand alone. Best of luck finding something your ds likes.

My dd is currently doing LoF Fractions. She's said that she needs more practice with factoring and working with mixed numbers. I am going to get MM Blue to add in the specific types of practice she needs. I think it will give me a good variety of problems to add to her Fred. We've been using Saxon and had switched to Fred as a break to reinforce some of the fraction concepts before she went too much further forward.

So maybe add in additional practice to Fred instead of finding a whole new math program and using Fred to supplement.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
We have the first pre-algebra book, and I don't think it is a stand alone book. I would add the Key to ... series to it.Key to Fractions, Percents, and Decimals, and perhaps the first four books of Key to Algebra.

The Pre-Algebra books must both be done for the course to be complete. They are a series.

I have been doing Singapore all along, started LoF with 5A (I think).

Here is my opinion.

At first, Fred was a supplement, then Singapore became an equal, now here is where we stand..... We just completed the second Pre-Algebra book. We were doing fewer and fewer Singapore lessons already, as they jut didn't need them as much. Well, I started looking through the rest of 6A and I was like "Ummm, they know ALL of this already. Cold. All of it. And to a deeper level of understanding. I think I will not finish this book, and look really closely at 6B before I buy it." So, I just dumped Singapore.

That is not to say I will totally ditch it, for good, but I was more than comfortable tossing a whole book. :D

A difference might be that I teach Fred with my kids. I don't have them do it on their own, so I am able to work a little longer on some concepts etc. In the beginning I would never have thought it would be a stand alone (although, it completely taught them fractions, decimals and percents), but now after having finished both Pre-Alg books (and already a few chapters into the next book) I can see how much they DO understand, and well. The concepts in the first books are reviewed quite often in the later books.

So, it can become a whole program. And you can use it as a supplement. And you can supplement it.

Don't do the Saxon anymore.

Get the first 4 books for him. After those books, done in a year or less, he should be ready for Algebra 1. If you need a little extra, supplement with Khan videos or something.

I think that the Fractions, Decimals and even the Pre-Algebra can be used as a supplement. Now my son started some of the Beginning Algebra. I think I will wait until the summer and then do it. I only do math in the summer. There will be plenty of time to tackle Algebra.

As for supplementing, I guess you could. I use Singapore 4A/B. LOF has become a wonderful supplement for this program.

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I didn't want to push my dd into Algebra 1 in 8th even though she had done a pre-algebra course last year. This year she is using CLE 8th grade math along with LoF Fractions, Decimals & Percents, and Pre-Algebra w/Biology. She is very language oriented, so I wanted LoF to help make math more fun for her, or at least funnier!

I feel that the CLE math has really been very good for her. Looking back, I wish I had used a spiral approach all along, but at that time I only knew about A Beka and Saxon. I can't stand either one of those.

We use LOF Fractions as a supplement. My dd needs way more math practice with fractions than what is in that book so I also have her doing Key to Fractions. Once we finish those then we plan to move to LOF Decimals/Percents and continue with the Key to books for Percents and Decimals as well. It seems to work great. LOF is fun to read and makes math a little more interesting, but then Key to helps my dd to practice problems enough times that she remembers the steps a little better.