Menu

Runners-how do you protect your knees/joints with all the jarring?

I'm in my forties too, used to run quite a bit when I was younger. Haven't done much besides walk since baby #1 almost a dozen years ago.

My mother-in-law tells stories of someone in their group who was a devoted runner. Even when they took a trip, he'd be up early in the morning to get a few miles in. Well, now that he's in his seventies, both knees are shot, he had them replaced. His thought: if he had to do it over again, he would've walked.

Personally, I loved running. You don't quite get the same effects from walking. And walking takes longer. But I live in Florida and do a lot in the pool. Every time I'm tempted to return to running, I think of that guy's knees. I'm no longer in training for sports, so what's the point of stressing my knees when there are so many safer ways to get exercise?

That's my thought.

But heck, I suppose even couch potatoes can end up with knee replacements, so you just never know!

Good luck with your exercising no matter what you decide to go with!

I suppose even couch potatoes can end up with knee replacements, so you just never know!

Boy, is that ever true!

I am still in contact with a number of my late grandmother's friends. There are plenty of knee replacements in the bunch, and this is a group that was never terribly active.

Happy Grace, I have very little experience in the area of running, but a friend of mine is a podiatrist. He has helped me with my hip and back pain. It seems that the proper shoe for your foot is the best protection you have against injury.

I agree with excellent shoes. But personally, I don't think running is particularily good for anyone's joints. Having already had a hip replacement at the age of 39, I am sensitive to this issue and cringe when I see older and especially heavier people running. Walk really fast for a little bit longer. You'll save your joints and burn plenty of calories.

My ortho says glucosamine/ condroitin does nothing to save/ preserve your joints. It's an anti-infamitory, but does not prevent wear and tear, does not rebuild and does not prolong joint health. It may just make you hurt less while you take it like ibuprofen or any other anti-infamatory. He says, ibuprofen is cheaper.

I do wear really good shoes. I'm bummed about the glucosamine :(

See, the guy with the knee replacement-I don't want to be him!! But after being a casual runner ever since I was younger (took a ten yr break having kids), I TRIED last fall to go back to walking to save my knees. I literally walked as fast as I could, pumping my arms as hard as possible, and I could NOT get my heart rate up. I am really fit and the walking just won't work aerobically.

I just started doing some cardio dvds but I love the running so much more. A gym is not an option right now-my dc are too old for child care but too young to take with me, and it is too $$ for us at this point.

Maybe I'll plan to run for a few more yrs and then the dc will be old enough I can leave them for an hour to go to a gym and do elliptical.

Thanks everyone!

Wearing excellent shoes and replacing them often is the absolute best protection. I've heard mixed reports on glucosamine/chondroitin and I suspect they probably aren't going to help much. Fish oil is also supposed to be good for joints ... I take it, but I've never really noticed that much difference!

I had to quit running in the last few years because the arthritis in my hips got too bad. :( I still walk long distances, but I definitely miss running - it's much more time-efficient!

I do love hiking, though. It's much better at raising your heart rate than walking around a flat course! When you hike steep trails, you get plenty of aerobic work on the way up, and then you get to cool down (and work your quads!) on the way back down. :)