Menu

Helping an adult obtain her GED

I have a relative who dropped out of school in her late junior high years.

She is now 35 and her 4 children (ages 4-11) are becoming a little more independent. Because she has a bit more free time, she is considering her future and thinking about her GED.

She is quite hesitant, and has said a number of times that she's not really sure she can do it.

I would love to gather some resources and help her study at home to build her confidence.

She does not have internet access at home, so I am looking for books, worksheets, study guides, etc.

Does anyone here have any recommendations?

Thank you!

My advice is to let her just take it. If you have an eighth grade education you can pass it with flying colors. Your local community education service should have a practice test that she can take before the actual test to see if your sister has any "weak" areas.

Thank you, Elizabeth! I'll help her check for practice resources in her area.

If she has a computer she might look into free downloads from the amazon or BN. I know they had some free study guide type books. I can't find them all right now. She could download the kindle and Nook apps to her computer and then study them at home.

Bravo to her! I wish her well.

If she does need to study before she takes the test, I would encourage her to start at a slightly lower level than she needs to for confidence building.

She might be surprised at what she does know though. I feel that a high school education has been somewhat watered down even since I graduated.