Menu

Transition to Saxon

hmdavis02

We switched to saxon somewhat following MFW recommendations At the end of 6th grade, (we were in the US edition 5B book), we took the placement test and ended up using Saxon 8/7 (she actually placed into 7/6 but missed 8/7 by only 1 problem so we went with 8/7.

It has worked out well for us.

We just took the Saxon placement test last week for my ds who is going in 5th next year. He has completed Singapore 4a and we are just starting 4b (we have been taking a lot of time off this year). Anyway, he took the test and he placed to start Saxon 76.

I had posted about the change on the Logic board a couple of weeks ago to get some advice. Most all my posts said I should not switch and finish out Singapore and switch in high school. But I am trying to follow the WTM plan and I wanted to switch before high school math, so my ds can make whatever adjustments needed. So, I am interested to hear any feedback as well.

I am going to switch to Saxon next year from Singapore US ed for my going to be 5th grader as well. I am planning on finishing out the year with 4b and then will do the placment tests to see where he will be. There was a previous thread about this very question that you may find helpful. If I get a minute I will check that link for you.

Thanks all! I'm just nervous because he bombed the placement test for Saxon. :-( BUT, I do know that he (a) actually can do several of the ones he missed and was being lazy; (b) was still recovering from a bad cold, and © has been more focused on bike-riding weather than his schoolwork lately. I think I wish I'd switched to Saxon in 4th for him, but I do plan to make the switch in 4th for my girls.