Menu

Science that is FUN and little prep from mom.

Heidi

My two oldest LOVE doing crafts and projects... and I can't stand crafts and projects. I want a fun science program that requires very little from me when it comes to the experiment part. I guess programs that are super easy to find the materials or that already comes with a kit. Any suggestions?

Nancy Larson, Sonlight, and Exploration Education all come complete. You could also look at Science in a Nutshell kits. I'm not sure how independent they are, but SL has the DVDs of how the experiments are supposed to go, so your kids could watch those and then do them on their own.

I think Sonlight science would fit that requirement (we are actually considering going back to it next year as well). It comes with a kit of stuff for all experiments, there is a DVD of experiments (that you can watch as a substitute for doing them if you want - we did this for growing mold :tongue_smilie:), and the rest of the days you do a science reading together, and fill out activity sheets which are frequently cut & paste (these can also be done orally).

The only downside I found was the cost and that it is a 4 or 5 -day program and I would love a 2-day. That said, it really only took 15-20 minutes each day (with the exception of experiment day) so it may not be an issue that it is scheduled so many days per week. We really enjoyed the year we did with Sonlight Science K, and ds learned a ton!

ETA: I used the post 2009 version that was redesigned.

If I can do Real Science Odyssey, ANYONE can! And I don't even have the kit (yet;)). So far my whole crew is a BIG fan, including me. Almost no prep, which makes mama VERY happy.

There's a kit?? I'll have to check that out again. I hadn't notice one there.

Yes, does anyone have a link to their kits? I've looked at Life level 1, but I don't see a kit for sale?

I can't do a straight link right now, but go to www.homesciencetools.com and search for Real Science Odyssey and then you get all the books, and they assemble kits for the harder to gather things that will be needed.

I actually decided not to purchase the kit and have found most of it locally (and cheaper) and then I am ordering the last couple things with another order from Rainbow Resource (like the Rock and Mineral kit - which is WAY cheaper and contains other things you need). So I am also then saving on paying another company for shipping.

Ok, I printed out samples from Noeo, Elemental science, and RSO, and glanced over Sonlight and Nancy Larson, and the winner is......

:tongue_smilie:

REAL Science Odyssey!!!!! It just looks like a lot of fun. I think I could get myself off my hiney and do some of those activities... especially making blood, with the additional activity of making a blood CAKE. HELLO! That's my kind of science. ;) It really looks like a fun curriculum.

A close second was Elemental Science, which I might try out sometime too, since we school all year round (because we take so many stinkin' breaks).

If one were a Christian (young Earth/creationist), would RSO still be okay to use? I checked out the samples and the FAQ section and saw the curriculum was secular but that the Elem levels did not mention evolution or anything "controversial". Is this true? Thanks.

:bigear:

Guest aquiverfull
If one were a Christian (young Earth/creationist), would RSO still be okay to use? I checked out the samples and the FAQ section and saw the curriculum was secular but that the Elem levels did not mention evolution or anything "controversial". Is this true? Thanks.

I'm curious to know the answer to this too.

I'm curious to know the answer to this too.

I am bringing up an old posts here...but wondering the answer. Does it matter if one is a Christian and uses a secular science in the younger years? I can't imagine it would be too big of a deal?? Unless mother nature is talked about frequently....:tongue_smilie: