Menu

Dd5 writes numbers backwards...normal?

Sue G in PA

My dd5 (who is a lefty) writes many of her numbers backwards or "mirror imaged". I correct her when I see it but she still does it. Is this normal? FWIW, she doesn't do this with letters that I can see. Does it have something to do with her being left-handed? I am a tad concerned and was just curious if this was normal. Thanks.

Normal. And I don't think it has anything to do with being left-handed.

Spalding and its look-alikes teach dc to write letters and numbers with specific directional details to help them avoid reversals. Just a plug for those methods. :D

My daughter (who turned six last month) still occasionally reverses letters and numbers. She's also a leftie, and from what I've read, it's particularly common with left handed writers. A few times late last fall (after intensive writing work) she would write an entire (short) sentence as a mirror image.

She's suddenly showing a lot of enthusiasm for learning cursive, and since she's started, we haven't had any more reversals.

In short, it seems to be normal and I *think* it eventually goes away. :)

(think of it this way, how many adults do you see reversing their numbers and letters?)

My dd5 (who is a lefty) writes many of her numbers backwards or "mirror imaged". I correct her when I see it but she still does it. Is this normal? FWIW, she doesn't do this with letters that I can see. Does it have something to do with her being left-handed? I am a tad concerned and was just curious if this was normal. Thanks.

Yes, normal. DD did it till she was about 8, although it did dwindle.:)