Menu

Over the counter reading glasses and at home exercises after doctor said no?

The doctor said that her farsightedness was slight and nothing would be prescribed. I really want to do something about DDs vision though because I have to either blow her math pages up to 200% on the copier or write them out myself... and she doesn't like to read most books on her own if the print is smaller than, say American Girl books, and tires from reading very easily. So what do you think? She almost 9 years old and has been able to read just about anything since she was 5... but she doesn't read for very long because of her eyes.

The VT also said that she had some tracking issues while answering questions, but again... too mild to do anything. What do you think about that? She has such a hard time with Math. We did some visual exercises from a book and that helped quite a bit already. I would really like to see some more improvement.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Did the VT say no because insurance wouldn't pay for therapy at those levels? I had a child show a deficit (not in VT) in all areas of 1.5 standard deviations but since insurace won't pay until 2 standard deviations below norm the child 'did not need help' and 'insurance won't pay' but when I offered to pay out of pocket I was told that the child could benefit form therapy.

My son is very slightly nearsighted. His VT told us that typically at his low levels glasses were not prescribed because the typical eye was able to compensate just fine. However, because he also had other issues like tracking, and eyes not working together, she prescribed the glasses at the lowest levels of correction available to help them focus and to work together. At first he had to wear them all the time but now just for reading, video games, and so on.

If there is another VT available, I would consider looking there, without giving any precious experiences, to see what they say. Did the first VT do a long battery of visual tests? My son's eval lasted nearly 3hours over 2 visits.

You know, to me it does sound like an issue where VT may work. My son had to have large print and struggled with math if the format of the problems changes - for example he couldn't have vertical and horizontal problems on the same page or he would miss them all. I would look elsewhere, to a different VT. Has she also ever been examined by an opthamologist? That's the MD of eyes. My son was and while he missed the tracking issues and all that was causing reading problems for my son, he checked things like the round of the eye and so on. It was a very informational visit even if it didn't lead me where I needed to go.

I went through a vision therapy school. We used interns which kept changing every quarter, but found it to be quite helpful especially on the cost side of things. They also had the latest equipment and the newest ideas/resources out there. My son found significant improvement even when he never qualified for glasses. We still try to do exercises at home even though we are technically "finished" with therapy, because when we don't he tires from reading and gets frustrated easily.

So this vision therapist you saw...was it an optometrist who specializes in vision therapy? Or the actual therapist? (The reason I'm wondering is that an OD is who examined my ds but then someone else is actually doing the therapy.)

Children SHOULD be slightly farsighted, but it should not actually cause problems with their reading.

Just what did the vision therapist suggest you do since your daughter's vision clearly IS causing trouble?

Honestly I'd try to find someone else.:glare:

The doctor said that her farsightedness was slight and nothing would be prescribed. I really want to do something about DDs vision though because I have to either blow her math pages up to 200% on the copier or write them out myself... and she doesn't like to read most books on her own if the print is smaller than, say American Girl books, and tires from reading very easily. So what do you think? She almost 9 years old and has been able to read just about anything since she was 5... but she doesn't read for very long because of her eyes.

The VT also said that she had some tracking issues while answering questions, but again... too mild to do anything. What do you think about that? She has such a hard time with Math. We did some visual exercises from a book and that helped quite a bit already. I would really like to see some more improvement.

I had a long talk with my Ophthalmologist about using reading glasses with kids, and he said there is no conclusive evidence it helps or hurts their vision. There is a slight danger of the child becoming dependent on them and their eyes saying far sided because of it. I suspect it would have to be quite a lot because he wasn't worried about my 2nd dd using them for school and night reading.

If it helps I say go for it!

Have you looked into Irlen's book and tried colored filters as well? Her books has a set in the back, which are nicer than many others because they have a non-glare surface, so it also stops glare problems.

Heather

I had a long talk with my Ophthalmologist about using reading glasses with kids, and he said there is no conclusive evidence it helps or hurts their vision. There is a slight danger of the child becoming dependent on them and their eyes saying far sided because of it. I suspect it would have to be quite a lot because he wasn't worried about my 2nd dd using them for school and night reading.

If it helps I say go for it!

Have you looked into Irlen's book and tried colored filters as well? Her books has a set in the back, which are nicer than many others because they have a non-glare surface, so it also stops glare problems.

Heather

No... which book?

The optometrist/VT we met said that everyone can benefit from VT, but that he did the check to see how much ds would benefit.

I think that you have to do something to help her read. By nine, she shouldn't be as farsighted as she sounds, either. However, I do have to say that I wouldn't do a lot. Ds has always been far sighted, but he's becoming less farsighted now (he's 10 1/2) so your dd's eyes will most likely change over the next 10 years.

What do you think of this review?

The cost of the overlays or lens, but first the cost of the screening and then the cost of the exam to determinate the right color is absolutely outrageous. I have been living 30 years with SSS not knowing what it was. Although I would really wish to find a cure, there is no way that I will spend that much money (nor that I can afford) for a solution that may help a little only under a specific lighting conditions.