Menu

Soaring with Spelling and Vocabulary?

sleepymommy

We are almost done with week 2. I "bumped up" a year, as kiddo was not being challenged enough with 3rd grade spelling (he is not a "natural speller" but knows his rules from a solid intro with SWR, and he is not a bad speller either). Prior we were doing SWO D, and that was going okay, but the paper in SWS is nicer, the top spiral rather than spine is REALLY nice, kiddo likes the print and layout in GWG, so I thought I'd give it a whirl, and so far so good. He thinks the words are hard, but we are working on methods of attack (for us, it is really pronouncing these longer words correctly and making sure you are writing out every syllable).

So far, GWG and SWS are our favorite books of homeschooling. SM and WWE are close behind. (Just so you get an idea of what is working for my kid's brain.) SWS is better than the measly samples belie.

We use it for 4th grade. My guy is a natural speller though and it leans a bit easy for him. But... SWS and GWG are his 2 favorite books and given a choice, he'll always pick them first. SWS is fairly independent for him and that is a plus for me. In retrospect, we should have bumped up a year. We are moving quickly though and SWS will be the one subject he finishes. So far, he seems to retain what he has learned, but again, he is a natural speller.

I'm not using it, but I looked through the samples on the Web site, and frankly, I'm not impressed. It might be good for children who are natural spellers and only need to write the words a few times to know them, but it just doesn't look to me as if children who need actual instruction and working with the rules and so on will find that.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for. :001_smile: