Menu

Stack the Deck writing curriculum?

I think it was the 3rd or 4th grade level book. I didn't like it, and dropped it after a few weeks.

Maybe it was just this one level, but the assignments were so strange, and so pointless. There would be a whole lesson on turning words in a sentence around, such as "Annie treats cooks" then "Annie cooks treats". These made up a large section of each unit and were very annoying to my DS. He didn't like the goofy illustrations either.

The book is written to the child, but my DS found the directions oddly written and sometimes confusing.

Michelle T

I love to write and have always had a knack with the creative aspect of writing (grammar-not so much). Family and friends have asked me if I was I taught the process or was it just natural?... I give all the credit to "Stack the Deck." While in a public school Adv. English class during junior high, our teacher had us use this curriculum. We only used two of the volumes - Cut the Deck and Stack the Deck, but the amount of creative writing we did was enormous- along with peer brainstorming and peer proofreading. Skip ahead a few years to the recent past when I started researching writing programs for our homeschool and I happened upon the Stack the Deck website. I was estatic! The very program I had used as a student-and now it had a full K-12 contingency! It turns out that my school had been one of the first to ever use Stack the Deck and I am very fortunate to have found it for my own children.

Now having waded through all of that... this is definitely not a Classical Writing type of program. The program is very student driven, emphasis is on creative writing - the object in the 1st couple of levels is just to get the student interested in the writing process and to develop a routine of writing/composing everyday. They even encourage and allow students to use made-up or phonetic style spelling in order to complete projects.

Every major writing assignment goes through four stages: pre-writing, rough draft, editing/revision process, and publication. Students are encouraged to keep a portfolio of published projects as weel as files for works in progress. Writing everyday is a key component.

My son likes the 'silly' nature of the examples and the fact that he is actually encouraged to continue in the same manner :willy_nilly: We have the first three levels. If you have a 3rd/4h grader, you could just start at Check the Deck (level 3) - and yes, you need both the student and teachers books.

You may notice in my signature that we also use CW... I like the formal 'classical' approach to writing and grammar (along with Latin) but also wanted to encourage their independent/ creative side. We have alternated by semesters - one writing program at a time is enough!

HTH