Menu

Questions for MFW high school users....

I am hoping you ladies can help. My oldest DD is in 9th grade currently. We have been doing a Charlotte Mason style via Ambleside online for a little while. I will add I believe she is still somewhat weak in composition and struggles there more than with Math or Science.

I have been looking at MFW and am perplexed as to what to do. I love the looks of it. I also like that it is incorporating Notgrass, which I was already looking at for history next year. I am not sure how I feel about skipping the Ancient 9th year, even though next year she will be in 10th grade. It goes back to the composition skills and worrying that she will feel in over her head writing wise if she jumps right into World History.

Should I go ahead and start Ancient History now (not ideal for me sanity wise or money wise!) and plan on it going into next year? Perhaps I could skip some things- she winces. We do school more year round with breaks built in, so she could work on it this summer without a lot of issues. Or, do I go ahead with the World History?

I appreciate those who have walked ahead of me here advising. How difficult will it be to go right on to 10th? She is not extremely strong on her essays is my point.

Also those who have gone on into the 3rd year of high school via MFW is there continued composition there or no? I was not seeing as much on the samples online.

Thank you for your time!

Laurie

We're working with the MFW Ancient this year. I was concerned about my dd's writing/composition as well. There is writing instruction that is VERY clear, and helps them be able to learn as they go. It worked well for dd. The first assignment the first week of AHL is scary, but it's explained well and dd made it through fine and turned out a great essay!

I'd recommend starting with the AHL as soon as she is ready. It's been very helpful for my dd, who is now not afraid of the writing components is WHL next year! :D

I have to run, hopefully someone can go into more detail for you.

with all you mentioned...

I'd go ahead and start AHL asap and then keep going. You might end up being able to do more combining in year 3 and 4 during her 12th grade year. One of my friends had his son do that during the pre pilot version. The young man started homeschooling (!) in the middle of 10th grade. They started with AHL (ancient history and literature), and only used MFW for his 10th, 11th, and 12th grade years. During 12th grade, he doubled up a bit to get history done, but it all worked out.

Yes, year 3 has plenty of composition. I was looking at that at convention the other week. The specifics left my brain cells though. I think I sent some notes to Julie in MN on that. Maybe she still has those?

-crystal

Also those who have gone on into the 3rd year of high school via MFW is there continued composition there or no? I was not seeing as much on the samples online.

Thank you for your time!

Laurie

Yes, year 3 has plenty of composition. I was looking at that at convention the other week. The specifics left my brain cells though. I think I sent some notes to Julie in MN on that. Maybe she still has those?

-crystal

Here is the research Crystal did for me at convention -- I asked the questions and Crystal went to convention JUST to search out the answers for me :001_smile: :

• 1. Is Stobaugh the source of year 3 English, as I thought?

American Lit. Supplement contains Marie modified content from Stobaugh’s 3 books: American Literature. Skills for Lit. Analysis, and Skills for Rhetoric.

It is 50% of English grade for the year. Other English comes from PP guide and a few other things non Stobaugh.

• 2. Who is the source of year 4 English? Is it really different? I like the look of communication study. I see the library mentioned?! Book reports?!

Right now, the source is Marie Hazell’s guide on it. It will all be library books of classics and right now they aren’t selling the books to keep cost down? Again, that’s pilot display info. Book reports? Not exactly but sorta yes. It’s more of Novel Summary Sheets where the students will summarize character, plot, talk about worldview and why/why not recommend the book.

Marie includes reading list, movie list too.

It's a little different, in that the students are given 2 or 3 options to read during certain weeks. They get to choose the novel from the list. It's like a rhetoric stage book basket, but with a few other things to do.

• 3. Can you tell if there is any "literature analysis"?

I think you meant year 3? Yes, there is extensive literature analysis in year 3 with critical reading and thinking and other stuff like that. That’s the Lit. Supplement, PP guides, and shorter essays. It’s definitely in there. It’s like the AHL lit/comp supplement, but with more.

I agree with the others that the writing help in AH&L is very good. My dd (my aspie) was very weak in writing and yet she did well. I opted to not have her do all of the writing, but that is specific to our situation. She enjoyed most of that year and felt a great sense of accomplishment in reading the Illiad and the Odyssey.

I also wanted to say that my dd did AH&L in 10th. I guess it depends where you want to end up, but AH&L in 10th worked out fine for us.

Just another one here chiming in to say yes, go ahead and start AHL now! :D The writing instruction is excellent... step by step. My dd was also weak in writing when she started, but she's really "getting it" now and doesn't fear 10th grade at all. In fact, she LOVES Writers INC which is used in WHL. We school year round here, so she'll begin WHL in two weeks and hopes to finish by December, or January if we unexpectedly miss some days.

OK, now you've all got me wondering if I should go ahead with MFW Ancients next year instead of World!! My ds does not want to do Ancients again so soon so I was thinking to skip forward to World for 9th, then US1 in 10th, US2in 11th, and Ancients in 12th grade. But if the compostion instruction in Ancients is so valuable, perhaps I should start there??? Aiy-yi-yi. Someone tell me what to do!!! :lol: