Menu

Online Classes with Socratic Discussions?

I want my children to really be able to participate in great deep conversations and discussions about great books, literature, etc... There is nothing locally that offers this sort of thing.

What are the best online classes that offer this? Please share your experiences.

• 2 weeks later...

CiRCE is launching just such an Online Academy this summer:

how to read Shakespeare

How to read Short-Stories.

Both are taught by Dr. James Taylor, former head of the Ed Dept at Hillsdale College and author of Poetic Knowledge.

It will be so Socratic that we are recreating assessment tools, since the modern industrial mode of grading interferes with people's learning.

If you want to test us out before you go to a full program in the fall, this is a good way to do it as each class lasts only five weeks.

For information, go to http://circeinstitute.com/online-academy/

God bless you as you seek the best option for your child!

ajk

Adam Andrews and his wife Missy lead online Socratic discussions of great books and literature through classes my friend set up: High-School Literature Discussion Online. My son is participating this year and loves it, and he is signed up for next year's class, in which they will discuss Beowulf, Dante's Inferno, Paradise Lost, etc. By design, there is no "busywork"; the kids just read the works at home and show up for a 2-hour discussion led by the Andrewses every few weeks. It would be too late in the evening for anyone on the East Coast, and the classes usually fill up with locals, but there are probably a few spaces left right now in next year's class. It is a wonderful supplement for us (there is no writing, for example -- it is just a literature discussion class; however, I have heard Mr Andrews mention things like "That would be a good topic for a paper" :001_smile:).

~Laura

ETA: The Andrewses wrote Teaching the Classics and run the Center for Literary Education.

Edited by Laura in CA

I want my children to really be able to participate in great deep conversations and discussions about great books, literature, etc... There is nothing locally that offers this sort of thing.

What are the best online classes that offer this? Please share your experiences.

The Potter's School's Classical Track includes integrated literature, writing, history, Bible/Worldview, and discussion. (We're strongly considering this for next year!)

ETA: Oops! Sorry! As I catch up on reading threads, I see that you already know about the TPS CT.

Edited by profmom

• 2 months later...

The Socratic discussion is very good. I am pleased to have this course on my son's transcript. He starts Romans in the fall. The nice thing about the high school course is that it is the reading plus discussion, a d it only has them do 4 papers over the year. That was good for us, because we have a TON of writing in his other courses. Mr. Bertucci is the director and he is very hands on with the kids, and very interactive with the parents if you call him. He is quick to return a call and answer an email. Pm me if you want his private email.

The Socratic discussion is very good. I am pleased to have this course on my son's transcript. He starts Romans in the fall. The nice thing about the high school course is that it is the reading plus discussion, a d it only has them do 4 papers over the year. That was good for us, because we have a TON of writing in his other courses. Mr. Bertucci is the director and he is very hands on with the kids, and very interactive with the parents if you call him. He is quick to return a call and answer an email. Pm me if you want his private email.

What program is this?

Hi Bloggerman,

DD did Great Books Discussions (Ancient Greek) with Mr. Bertucci and Dr. James Taylor this year. She loved it, and benefitted from it greatly both in her thinking and writing. This is the site http://www.greatbooksdiscussions.org/

I second everything Shelley in Il said. Your can also reach Mr. Bertucci using the telephone number listed at the Great Books Discussions site. He has usually answered my calls on the second ring. Hey, Shelley, my dd was in the Wednesday morning class. She'll be starting the Roman Year this fall too.

This resource is neither secular nor religious; there is a basic goodness, beauty, and truth that is shared by all whether you are secular or religious. Human being innately know this, but oftentimes don't practice it.

Veritas Press Scholars Online has been great this year! Class meets twice per week and the discussions are always Socratic - DD's teacher introduces topics and the students discuss their varying viewpoints. It's excellent!
\\

:iagree::iagree: