Menu

What age do your kids start using. . .

deodorant? Mine haven't started yet as I figured I'd wait until they started stinking. They are 8 and 11, bathe when I make them, and I haven't smelled anything yet. :tongue_smilie: Also, is there any reliable studies on whether I should steer them away from antiperspirants?

Thanks.

Pegasus

My 9yo dd became aware of her need to wear deodorant last summer. (I guess she was 8 then.) I had never, ever thought of having my 8yo girl wear deodorant, but she came to me with concerns...and, sure enough--whew!! B.O.--not "sweaty kid" smell, but genuine B.O.! I was surprised, but I was glad at least that she was the one who noticed, and that she turned out to be able to remember on her own to put the deo. on after showering. Who'da thunk it?

About the antiperspirant thing...I dunno. Seems like I've heard scary stories about it, but it hasn't stopped me from using it (and the antiperspirant hasn't really stopped perspiration, anyway). I'd be interested to hear more about this.

My oldest is about to turn 12 in a few days and is an avid skateboarder. We noticed the need for him to wear deo a few months ago. I'm teaching the 10 yr old at the same time because, as usual, it's easier to just do them both at the same time. :)

I have heard of the studies on not using antiperspirant and will try and remember next time I'm at the store to find them some straight deo instead. It's worth the just-in-case in this case. :)

Even the boy. None of them smell/smelled bad. The teens wear deodorant but I really don't think they need to. I don't wear deordorant at all. Dh and family say I don't stink so I think that we must all be a relatively odor free bunch.

I have read about links between anti-perspirant and both cancer and Alzheimer's. Even if I wore deodorant, I wouldn't wear anti-perspirant. I would use the deodorant crystals instead or use baking soda. I am pretty sure there are a few on here who use those options so hopefully you will hear more about them.

I truly can't remember when dd13 began using "smell prevention", but I think it was roughly 2 years ago. Her younger sister is just now starting to need it. We do choose to use deodorants but not antiperspirants. Brands we have used include Jason, Nature's Gate, and Toms of Maine. I use a mix of coconut oil and pure baking soda for my own deodorant because the ones mentioned above had become less effective for me. Others here swear by just a dusting of baking soda immediately after a shower, w/out the oil mixed in. Most kids, however, seem to want/need something in stick or roll-on!

For some reason, and I don't know why, my 10yr ds brought home a trial size deoderant from school the other day. He said that all of the 4th graders got one. UH??? My other kids didn't start wearing deoderant until about 6th grade.

My oldest son will be 13 next month and just recently said he thinks he needs some deodorant. I am su-u-u-u-per sensitive to icky smells, and I absolutley do not think the kid has an issue. It's more a desire to feel mature, which makes sense. I bought him his own stuff ~ Tom's of Maine. I don't go in for anti-perspirants; the concept in and of itself is odd, when you think about it.

There are some mild, kid-friendly (or so they advertise) b.o. sticks at Walmart, etc. - why not have the kids get used to the practice so it becomes part of their morning habit before they truly need it and you risk passing out from the stench???

I've tried Tom's of Maine but wasn't thrilled.

I can find mens but not ladies :confused: - and I hate most of the fragrances in the men's products. :001_huh:

We use the Speedstick brand--it doesn't smell great at the store but once it's on the body it seems to mellow.