Menu

Sight Word Games

marsha617

I am looking to find a fun and different way to present sight words to my boys. We are using Rod and Staff. There are two new sight words every lesson so I would like to present new and old sight words to them without always drilling.

I have done the following:

Make a word ladder on the chalkboard

Place word cards on table and ask for a certain word

Alternate giving out one card at a time to each child

Thanks for all suggestions. I know there are those out there who are very creative and inventive. Creativity is not my strong point but things are getting better!

• 5 months later...

Not sure if you're into using the computer with Sight Words teaching. But, there is a program called Sight Words with Samson that's great for this. The guy who started it is a Christian, (hence the Biblical name, Samson). It's a great game to get the kids "rolling" with reading. And, because it's coming from a Christian organziation, you're not seeing anything inappropriate for kids, like so many of the online stuff has. I told someone else about it in another forum, but I have a coupon code that still might be useable. It is JJ2K8. Again, just Google Sight Words with Samson and it should pop right up. Hope this helps. :bigear:

Sight word bingo/lotto (use candy corn for markers this week!)

Write little slips of paper using the sight words in sentences and have them do them silently for you--Montessori's Command Game.

Write notes and leave them under their pillows.

If the sight words are objects or easy to find a picture to go with, make some cards that have either the word or the picture and play memory.

1. Have a scavenger hunt using words they know and/or can sound out leading them from clue to clue. "Find blue coat on bed" leads to a clue that might say "Look in pocket of red pants" and the clues finally lead to a small treat.

2. Play M&M draw. Child flips words that are upside down on table. Every time he reads one, he adds an M&M to his pile. Every mistake and he gives you the M&M.

3. Play "word jail" where you put a favorite toy or stuffed guy in pretend prison. He must read five words without mistake/hesitation in a row in order to release your prisoner.

4. Pay him one dollar for every sight word list he completes with a bonus 5 bucks when he knows them all. This motivated my older son to learn them at the speed of light.:D

Hi,

For my first dd, I made "playing cards" for all 100 first sight words - 2 of each word. We played games of "memory", "go fish" and "Old Maid" with the current and revision words (I don't know if you call these games the same in the U.S.) and both my dd's have learned their words really quickly. I'm about to start the whole process again with ds4 - no regrets for the time it took to make them into playing cards. They love playing games.

Jenny

Hi,

For my first dd, I made "playing cards" for all 100 first sight words - 2 of each word. We played games of "memory", "go fish" and "Old Maid" with the current and revision words (I don't know if you call these games the same in the U.S.) and both my dd's have learned their words really quickly. I'm about to start the whole process again with ds4 - no regrets for the time it took to make them into playing cards. They love playing games.

Jenny

Great idea!!

Glad you liked the playing cards idea - but I borrowed the idea from a kit called "Magic 100 Words". Have you heard of it in the U.S.? They have so many great ideas. They have these A4 sorting cards that are set-out so that the child has to sort the words into the right number of letters (1 card), words that start with a consonant and words that start with a vowel (1 card), words that end in a consonant and words that end in a vowel (1 card), hard words to spell and easy words to spell .... and several more. I found this really reinforced what consonants and vowels were, and also helped them with their spelling. One card had "words that have words inside them" and words that don't - that is always a favourite - really got them thinking.

Cheers,

Jenny

I would be careful how many sight words you teach. I have remediated dozens of children suffering from too many sight words.

All but 5 of the most commonly taught 220 Dolch sight words can be taught phonetically, here's how:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/sightwords.html

Along with volunteers from my church, I'm currently teaching nine 3rd to 6th grade kids after school who got too many sight words, they all missed a lot more phonetic words on a test called the MWIA that compares sight words with normal phonetic words. All but one of the 9 read the phonetic words significantly slower. I teach a lot of nonsense words, spelling, and syllable division to help combat the problems caused from sight words. They're all progressing, some faster than others, but it's a lot more work to undo the habits that come from sight words and guessing at whole words than to just teach with a good phonics program with few sight words up front.

I have a fun, free game for making nonsense and normal words that helps build phonics skills:

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Phonics/concentrationgam.html

We focus on phonics at the start - I'm doing phonics with my ds4 but not sight words yet, but then gradually start introducing sight words. My dd's have definitely sounded out a lot of them, because they already know their basic phonics, but I found that the combination really gets them reading quite quickly. They love feeling totally comfortable with the sight words, and then when we're reading, they seem to be able to sound out the larger words in context and start feeling very confident as readers. I've got 2 very confident readers at 8 and 6 - their comprehension levels and reading material are very different but they both love to read to their brothers now which is great for me. So I'm happy that the big debate between phonics and sight words doesn't need to be a big debate at my home - a combo of both, at the right time for the child, works for us.

Cheers,

Jenny