Menu

has anyone use Calm Child or Focus Factor Kids?

Hi,

Background information, this is my 12 y o.

My son has ADHD w/ anxiety and is dyslexic. He is on Ritalin LA for the ADHD. However, the Dr refuses to give him anxiety meds. He wants my son to go to counseling, but my son refuses to go. He did go to counseling about 5 years ago for 6 months, it was torture for him to talk about his problems. Te counselor even said that he had made as much progress as he was going to and it wasn't worth making him go any more.

He has a lot of visable anxiety/ anxiousness. Example. If he gets a math problem wrong, he will slap himself in the head, say he's stupid...all while looking off into space over my shoulder, and squinting his eyes like he's constipated.

My question is. Has anyone tried Calm Child or Focus Factor Kids with any success? We just started them yesterday. I know it takes time to work. He also takes Omega 3 gummi vitamins and a regular gummi multi vitamin.

Alternatively, should we look for a new Dr? We are moving this summer and will probably be moving too far away to go to our current Dr. Current Dr. is a pediatrician who deals with a lot of ADD/HD kids.

Thanks!

Thanks for replying!

The problem is, he won't go see a psychiatrist. It stresses him out to be forced to talk about his anxiety.He's a very private person.

The medication thing is a double edged sword, I know. We just started him on the meds this fall. Until he started puberty, his ADHD was controlled with diet. Puberty....:scared: has changed everything for him. The good news is, his Dr says that once he gets through puberty, he should be able to go off the meds and only use dietary restrictions to manage the ADHD, since that's what worked before his hormones went psycho.

Thanks again! It's nice to know that I'm not alone in this!

He loves coffee. It helps him to focus but not the anxiety

. I never thought of adult strength supplements, maybe what I'm giving him just isn't enough to make a difference. He's very tall for his age, wears a 14 in pants.Thanks for mentioning it! My niece is getting ready to graduate from college as a nutritionist. I should send her an email.

Thanks so much!

Thanks for replying!

The problem is, he won't go see a psychiatrist. It stresses him out to be forced to talk about his anxiety.He's a very private person.

So he's got too much anxiety to go get treatment for anxiety? ;) I wonder if he realizes his anxiety is what makes it hard to talk about the anxiety? I HATE HATE HATE talking about mine. It brings all the anxiety up in my head again & I can't get away from it because I'm supposed to talk about it. However, usually with a psychiatrist they just talk enough to figure out a medication & then you only go for refills unless something changes. It's like a psychologist where you are expected to talk about it all the time. :grouphug:

(He doesn't have hypoglycemia, does he? I had a book on natural anxiety cures but someone is... borrowing it long-term :lol: and the only part I remember is that part, since it affects me. I remember something about niacin too?)

So he's got too much anxiety to go get treatment for anxiety? ;) I wonder if he realizes his anxiety is what makes it hard to talk about the anxiety? I HATE HATE HATE talking about mine. It brings all the anxiety up in my head again & I can't get away from it because I'm supposed to talk about it. However, usually with a psychiatrist they just talk enough to figure out a medication & then you only go for refills unless something changes. It's like a psychologist where you are expected to talk about it all the time. :grouphug:

(He doesn't have hypoglycemia, does he? I had a book on natural anxiety cures but someone is... borrowing it long-term :lol: and the only part I remember is that part, since it affects me. I remember something about niacin too?)

Basically, yes. He has too much anxiety to talk about it. He was so anxious last summer when he was being tested for ADHD. He kept asking us why we thought he was broken and why we couldn't love him the way he was.

:confused: It made me so sad. He was always anxious, even as a little boy...about everything. He worries over things that I wouldn't expect him to. I went to a Mom's night out, he worried the entire 3 hours I was gone , that I was going to die in a car wreck because he wasn't with me.

I'll try to talk to him again about seeing a child psychiatrist. The last one he saw , he said she pushed him to talk about things he didn't want to talk about. It made him very angry and he was depressed every week after talking to her. He said because she made him talk about his problems, it made him think about them.

I'll check into hypoglycemia...anythings possible.

Thanks!

Basically, yes. He has too much anxiety to talk about it. He was so anxious last summer when he was being tested for ADHD. He kept asking us why we thought he was broken and why we couldn't love him the way he was.

:confused: It made me so sad. He was always anxious, even as a little boy...about everything. He worries over things that I wouldn't expect him to. I went to a Mom's night out, he worried the entire 3 hours I was gone , that I was going to die in a car wreck because he wasn't with me.

I'll try to talk to him again about seeing a child psychiatrist. The last one he saw , he said she pushed him to talk about things he didn't want to talk about. It made him very angry and he was depressed every week after talking to her. He said because she made him talk about his problems, it made him think about them.

I'll check into hypoglycemia...anythings possible.

Thanks!

Here's the book. It had several physical causes of anxiety & how to remedy them.

I am a huge bio junkie :D ...I have officially read way too much about fixing this stuff from the inside out! lol! I'll share briefly...hope to help...

Me, my kids, my sister, her kids, my dad, my grandmother, my aunt, ..........ummmm...the list could go on....are genetically wired to be in "the spectrum" which only means that if we let ourselves go (and get toxic) then we manifest anxiety, depression, GI issues, acne, learning issues, hyperactivity, etc. When NOT toxic overloaded.......these symptoms are in remission. I live it. I see my symptoms wax and wane...truth of the matter is that I am at my worst when I am not paying attention to my diet.

Anxiety is a symptom. Medications that treat anxiety are only a band-aid...they don't fix or correct the root that is causing the anxiety to manifest. Neither does "talking" through this type of anxiety...huh? :confused:...I am not trying to belittle therapy...I have benefited from therapy...it just depends on the situation (again...where's it stemming...is it situational or systemic in nature?).

A few months ago I read a book called "Healing the New Childhood Epidemic (autism, adhd, allergies, asthma) by Dr. Kenneth Bock. I highly recommend it. IMO, it is one of the best books to help you understand how to nail this is the head and heal the bodies imbalances. It is not going to speak over your head and it is written in an easy to read style. This book will help educate you from start to finish.

Also, I recommend changing out his supplements too. Just make sure you go with a whole food organic one. This should help guarantee that you aren't getting something with a bunch of junk in it that he may be reacting to. My boys (9 and 10) have done well with one by Nature's Plus (it's a cherry swallow) and a lemon flavored Cod Liver Oil that I mix in a little OJ (Cod Liver...then you get the Vit D too) I use Barlean's...it's super fresh and very pure (with no metals, etc.). Neither are overly expensive and are good choices. Garden of Life also makes a great product, I have used it but haven't started the kids. I do like the Family Vit Code though (has coq10 too which is helpful in these kids). For a specific blend for adhd look at Vaxa Internationl's "Attend"...EXCELLENT supplement!!! FYI this is in addition to the other two. I think they also have one called "Calm" which may be more anxiety targeted...but if you go to the website you can look around...easy to navigate and they do have alot of educational peices on the site.

Anyways, hope this gives some ideas. Sorry if I overwhelmed you in anyway...so not my intent here...I just have a passion to bring awareness. Not only have we personally been so helped by doing the things that actually "treat" and heal the root imbalances in the body...but I am also a nurse by trade and well this just makes me a natural health evangalist :tongue_smilie:.

I will pray for you little guy tonight! I hope you all have a peaceful day tomorrow :grouphug:.

I just got a bottle of the FOCUS FACTOR for kids and Nordic Omega-3--too early to tell if it's helping my son or not but just wanted to say I'm trying them.....my son is 8yrs old--has adhd/asperger's syndrome and I think anxiety issues. We tried meds and vyvanse gave him chest pains (scared us) so we opted to try strattera (a non amphetamine)--it worked wonders when he would take it-but he got the idea in his head that he was going to choke on the pill and absolutely refused to take it anymore. So we're trying other methods. I saw FOCUS FACTOR online and did what research I could (how do you ever know if those reviews are true?) and broke down and ordered a bottle. He's been taking them about a week.

Halley

Thanks for all of the information! I'll check into those supplements. I do think he is anxious from genetics or environmental causes . I've often wondered if his anxiety is from the nitrates in the water when he was little. We lived in an area where we would regularly receive notice that the nitrates were too high and to use bottled water. This is from when he was 2-5 yrs old. It was fertilizer run off from farms. That was when I started noticing a lot of anxiety in him.

The ADHD and dyslexia are also in the family. I really don't like him being on Ritalin, but it has helped him to be able to control his fidgeting etc so that he can do his school work.

Thanks so much!

I just got a bottle of the FOCUS FACTOR for kids and Nordic Omega-3--too early to tell if it's helping my son or not but just wanted to say I'm trying them.....my son is 8yrs old--has adhd/asperger's syndrome and I think anxiety issues. We tried meds and vyvanse gave him chest pains (scared us) so we opted to try strattera (a non amphetamine)--it worked wonders when he would take it-but he got the idea in his head that he was going to choke on the pill and absolutely refused to take it anymore. So we're trying other methods. I saw FOCUS FACTOR online and did what research I could (how do you ever know if those reviews are true?) and broke down and ordered a bottle. He's been taking them about a week.

Keep me informed on how the supplements help! Vyvnase didn't have any effect on my son, so he's on Ritalin now. I really hate giving my child speed. Once he started puberty, I had to do something. Hopefully, we can both find something that will help our son's!

Another suggestion: My natural doctor uses electrodermal testing and she found that I had pesticides affecting my liver. We used homeopathy for that and ever since my ADD has improved. If you think that environmental factors are in play, electrodermal testing will find the what and where and what to do about it.

It isn't easy though. As the toxins leave they go back into the bloodstream. Symptoms get worse during this time (no way around that) and dosages need to be adjusted depending on the severity.

Keep me informed on how the supplements help! Vyvnase didn't have any effect on my son, so he's on Ritalin now. I really hate giving my child speed. Once he started puberty, I had to do something. Hopefully, we can both find something that will help our son's!

I sure will....kow how you feel---but you gotta do what works for your child/family.....hang in there--

Another suggestion: My natural doctor uses electrodermal testing and she found that I had pesticides affecting my liver. We used homeopathy for that and ever since my ADD has improved. If you think that environmental factors are in play, electrodermal testing will find the what and where and what to do about it.

It isn't easy though. As the toxins leave they go back into the bloodstream. Symptoms get worse during this time (no way around that) and dosages need to be adjusted depending on the severity.

I can check into that. There is a Chinese Dr locally, who specializes in alternative medicine. A friend of ours has had good results with her, but for smoking and allergies. I'll give our friend a call and see what he says.

Thanks!

Hi,

My son has ADHD/mild Asperger's with alot of Anxiety. He is on the Daytrana patch which works well treating his ADHD (although we do experience some side effects) He takes a multi-vitamin & Omega 3 pill. We just started seeing a new child psychiatrist. She is considering medicating him for his anxiety which she feels is significant once she gets to know him better. She will be starting biofeedback & neurofeedback treatments as well in the hopes that we can get him off meds entirely. Our first treatment appt. is Tues. Hoping for the best. Good luck to you!!

Hi,

My son has ADHD/mild Asperger's with alot of Anxiety. He is on the Daytrana patch which works well treating his ADHD (although we do experience some side effects) He takes a multi-vitamin & Omega 3 pill. We just started seeing a new child psychiatrist. She is considering medicating him for his anxiety which she feels is significant once she gets to know him better. She will be starting biofeedback & neurofeedback treatments as well in the hopes that we can get him off meds entirely. Our first treatment appt. is Tues. Hoping for the best. Good luck to you!!

Good Luck with the new treatment, I hope they help your son. It's great that there's so many new options available. We also do the multi vitamin & Omega 3, but in gummies.Good luck to you also!

I totally forgot about this when I posted earlier----

I'm also trying some of the FEINGOLD DIET....zachary doesn't eat alot of different foods so that's why I'm saying "some" lol--he usually sticks to a few fave staples for him----feingold basicly avoids artificial flavorings,artificial additives,artificial preservatives,artificial food dyes/food colorings and other things....I think apple juice is a problem for zach-he had it for a couple of weeks and looking back he was sooo wild that time---if/when he is allowed soda he's only allowed sprite----

I totally forgot about this when I posted earlier----

I'm also trying some of the FEINGOLD DIET....zachary doesn't eat alot of different foods so that's why I'm saying "some" lol--he usually sticks to a few fave staples for him----feingold basicly avoids artificial flavorings,artificial additives,artificial preservatives,artificial food dyes/food colorings and other things....I think apple juice is a problem for zach-he had it for a couple of weeks and looking back he was sooo wild that time---if/when he is allowed soda he's only allowed sprite----

The Feingold diet is great. We've followed it for about 3 years now. It's helped a lot. My 4 yr old is sensitive to caramel food coloring...which is in Coke! That was the end of us drinking soda! You wouldn't think apple juice would bother a child, it's a natural juice. You just never know what will effect a person.

yeah we are new to it still and I remember reading and thinking apple juice-that's strange....yeah the only one who drinks sodas regularly in the house is hubby--I've just about totally cut them out and zach only gets when we eat out usually....We had a bad time a few weeks ago-he was really just hard to control and I remember thinking that there was apple jucie in the fridge--we've since switched to pear juice and I didn't think he would like it (he's suck a picky thing) but he's drank almost 2 containers of it...no problems--still not where I want him to be but maybe it's a start.....

My kids don't really like juice. My 12 yr old drink about 2 oz of orange juice with his meds in the morning, but that's it. We mostly drink decaf tea and water. Occasionally, I'll buy the clear Kool-aid or Country time Lemonade.

It's a lot of lifestyle changes, but I think following the Feingold Diet helped a lot...and kept my older son off of meds for several years. Once puberty it though, we had to change tactics.:tongue_smilie:

I just wanted to throw out the homeopathic route. It either will work, or it will not, depending on his constitution. He will not, however, have any negative side effects and that may help if he has anxiety about "taking things" (I do).

I use Hyland's Calms4Kids for my littles. For myself, I use Hyland's Calms Forte for insomnia and Nerve Tonic during the day, for anxiety issues. These things work GREAT for me and my kids and I love that we don't have to medicate and deal with nasty side effects!

Good Luck & I hope you find something that helps him!!! :)

I looked at the Hyland's stuff, but none of the stores near me carry it. I can only find it on amazon, unless I go to the vitamin shoppe that's 30 miles away. I'd rather do the homeopathic things than prescriptions. Thanks for letting me know that they do work! I might take a road trip this weekend!