Menu

Still wondering about nuclear toxins in the air...

Please be kind! We live near the coast of CA. Tomorrow we will be going to the coast (5 generation get together for dd's 21st b-day). I see that the radiation in the air is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I have read much of what has been discussed... that this isn't "panic" situation... that the levels of radiation aren't harmful.

Someone please share with me, again... I'm going to have my baby grandson with me... no one wants to think that these little bodies are going to be harmed by the air... I just want some reassurance... Or to be told specifically why there would be cause for concern... either way.

Thanks!

From today's entry in meteorologist Jeff Masters' blog, Weather Underground:

However, the 5-day trek to Hawaii and California is 4000 - 5000 miles, and a tremendous amount of dispersion and dilution of the radioactive plume will occur. Given the current levels of radiation being emitted, any radioactivity reaching Hawaii or the U.S. may be difficult to detect, and will not be a threat to human health. Keep in mind also that the most dangerous radionuclide to human health in the radioactive plume--Iodine-131--has a half life of eight days, so will be reduced by at least 30% after 5 days of travel time.

If you would fly on a commercial airline (not even including the backscatter machines), or use a microwave oven, then the amount of radiation that may possibly get to you on the California coast should be no concern. At all.

Hope that helps!

:)

Flight yes, modern microwave oven, no. More radiation on a commercial flight.

Edited by LibraryLover

If you would fly on a commercial airline (not even including the backscatter machines), or use a microwave oven, then the amount of radiation that may possibly get to you on the California coast should be no concern. At all.

Or how about just walk outside on a sunny day?