Menu

Wood projects for pre-teens??

I'm so excited because my son has found an interest!! He messed with some wood earlier this week... sanding, carving a bit... I'd really like to support his new interest and he has a birthday coming up...

Any of you have a child who works with wood? Ideas? Suggestions?

My 12 yo took off with woodworking this year and it's been a blast. He made a really nice oak cribbage board for his dad for Christmas, and now he is working on a piano footstool for me. And of course he must have at least 100 different types of swords, knives, and wooden guns down in the basement.:)

I bought him a book written by a homeschool dad that has some neat projects.

http://www.woodworkersresource.com/products/woodshop-for-kids/index.html

My husband has limited woodworking skills, so we found a mentor for our son and they have "Woodshop" every week. It's by far the best thing he's done this year. If you can find someone with whom your son can work, I suggest that you go that route. He will be able to make more complex projects and will take great pride in his work. Also, if our ds is just working on his own, he's limited to basic tools like hand saws, coping saws, etc. However, working with an adult, he is able to use tools that he we don't allow him to use on his own. He has learned to use a chop saw, table saw, lathe, router, etc., all while learning proper safety precautions. It's been great. Of course, I would only allow him to do this with someone I really trust. Those table saws are scary, and he is a violinist afterall. :001_unsure:

I hope this helps. Have fun!

My DD has requested a hand-carving wood set that she saw at Hobby Lobby. She said it had several tools in it and a piece of wood with directions to make a duck? I'm planning to look for it soon. My DH is a fabulous wood-worker, and we do actually have a pretty complete shop in our basement, but she has plenty of time to work up to the big tools.;)