Menu

A discussion of high school mathematics classes

I am not saying that consumer math is invalid. I am questioning how it fits into the framework of mathematics.

For me, this boils down to wondering what is the point of higher math?

I mean, I know people who love math would say it's imporant for everyone. But why?

Does anyone remember that scene in Peggy Sue Got Married in which she tells her math teacher that she can vouch for the fact that, contrary to what teachers always tell us, she hasn't actually ever used any of the stuff she learned in math class?

That's kind of how I feel.

Now, I was brought up in a family that didn't expect its members to be good at math. And from very early on in my life, the assumption was that I would do something with words and writing. As an adult, I've discovered that I like math more than and am better at it than I had always thought. But the truth is that, beyond balancing a checkbook and figuring percentages on loans and deciding which package at the grocery store gets me the best price on oatmeal, I don't use it.

So, I guess I was "lucky" that I went to high school in an era that required only three years of math. (Although I didn't graduate, anyway.) If I were one of these poor kids who is being forced to pretend to learn the higher level stuff to graduate and satisfy a college admissions officer, I never would have made it through to a bachelor's degree.

When they were younger, each of my kids looked like they were going to be math-y. But once we got past a certain point, they each began to dislike it. I've tried lots of different things, different curricula, going off the beaten path in terms of approach and subject, tying math to things they liked, etc. All that happened was each one began to dislike anything I linked to math in any way.

And, along the way, each discovered a passion for a field that does not call for much math. So, since they don't like it and likely won't need it and their talents and passions lie in other areas, why on earth should they have to keep trudging along? Just to prove they can?

I think that's silly.

And, since the powers that be keep piling on more requirements but there are lots of kids for whom higher level math is not going to happen, I think it's absolutely legitimate that there be alternatives.

Look at it this way: I, personally, believe that a working knowledge of Shakespeare, rather than just a glancing familiarity with a couple of his greatest hits, is an important part of being a well-educated person. And I'm willing to bet that my kids have a heck of a lot more drama in general and Shakespeare in particular under their belts than do many of the students discussed on these boards.

But I recognize that not everyone is going to read the more "obscure" plays, let alone see them live or even act in them. And, while I still believe it would enrich their lives, I don't go around saying their educations are somehow inadequate.

I just wish the math-y folks could manage to give us the same courtesy when it comes to calculus.

Look at it this way: I, personally, believe that a working knowledge of Shakespeare, rather than just a glancing familiarity with a couple of his greatest hits, is an important part of being a well-educated person. And I'm willing to bet that my kids have a heck of a lot more drama in general and Shakespeare in particular under their belts than do many of the students discussed on these boards.

But I recognize that not everyone is going to read the more "obscure" plays, let alone see them live or even act in them. And, while I still believe it would enrich their lives, I don't go around saying their educations are somehow inadequate.

I just wish the math-y folks could manage to give us the same courtesy when it comes to calculus.

I agree with you on Shakespeare.

But I apologize if you feel that I was suggesting that everyone should take Calculus! The point of this thread was to discuss options in a climate where more colleges expect applicants to have four years of high school math on their transcripts. We could discuss whether we agree with this or not, but that does not change the admissions requirement for colleges in the UNC system.

Certainly one does not have to apply to colleges with this requirement. But what a rude awakening for students and parents who are not anticipating this!

Jane (who would like a smiley with a signpost reading "More Shaw")

But I apologize if you feel that I was suggesting that everyone should take Calculus! The point of this thread was to discuss options in a climate where more colleges expect applicants to have four years of high school math on their transcripts. We could discuss whether we agree with this or not, but that does not change the admissions requirement for colleges in the UNC system.

Certainly one does not have to apply to colleges with this requirement. But what a rude awakening for students and parents who are not anticipating this!

Ah, Shaw. One of my favorite vegetarian playwrights.

I'd be completely open to hearing ideas about what math might be accesible to non-math-oriented students but still fulfill those pesky requirements?

Honest, because as you can probably tell, I'm struggling with this question.

But I'd also love to hear an explanation (that this non-math-y person could grasp) of why all that math is really important to the majority of students who won't ever need it after graduation?

But I'd also love to hear an explanation (that this non-math-y person could grasp) of why all that math is really important to the majority of students who won't ever need it after graduation?

My time at the moment is limited so I'll come back to address this more fully later. In the meantime, consider one thing. A person can function in this world never having read Shakespeare. So why read Shakespeare, one might ask.

There are certain achievements in the arts that help us understand our humanity. There are unifying theories of science that help us recognize pattern and help us understand our place on this planet.

There are theorems in mathematics that are express universal truths. For some of us, these truths and patterns give us a sense of order, a sense of peace, a taste of beauty in the same way that a poem by Auden or a symphony by Beethoven touches you.

Must go...

We need to get together for a cup of tea and a chat.

Jane

My time at the moment is limited so I'll come back to address this more fully later. In the meantime, consider one thing. A person can function in this world never having read Shakespeare. So why read Shakespeare, one might ask.

There are certain achievements in the arts that help us understand our humanity. There are unifying theories of science that help us recognize pattern and help us understand our place on this planet.

There are theorems in mathematics that are express universal truths. For some of us, these truths and patterns give us a sense of order, a sense of peace, a taste of beauty in the same way that a poem by Auden or a symphony by Beethoven touches you.

Must go...

We need to get together for a cup of tea and a chat.

Jane

I'm looking forward to chatting some more.

I would argue that studying Shakespeare (and literature in general) is a way to ponder what it means to be human. For example, my son frequently uses references to plays he's seen or books he's read to express his own feelings or his opinions of the world. Literature gives him a vocabulary for thinking about life.

I absolutely understand that many people find beauty in math. And I'm in no way arguing that we shouldn't aim for a certain level of exposure and competency. What I'm wondering about, specifically, is whether math beyond, say, algebra II is necessary for all students?

So, here's a refinement of my question: What should a student who has gotten through the typical algebra I - geometry - algebra II sequence with acceptable comprehension but no desire to go forward do next? Is there any value in compelling that student to continue with higher level math? And, if so, what is that value?

I am so not a math person. Y'all have my head spinning. Sure I did math in highschool higher math’s and that and I squeaked out B's & C's but I never fully mastered anything. I have a dd going into 4th who is Advanced in math and a dd going into 8th who is at level or slightly below.. She is taking Pre Alg now. But I personally don't feel she is going to be ready for Alg 1 next year... I plan to do Saxon 8/7 over the summer skipping the concepts she has a firm grasp on and maybe doing Alg 1 if I feel she is ready...no idea what Alg 1 to do either... I am kind of hating that 8th grade next year has me in panic mode on what to cover in HS and we are not even their yet.

couple this with her desire to be either a marine biologist, fashion designer or a K teacher :lol:

Amortization schedules are determined by difference equations. Some high schoolers might see them in a discrete math class, but I don't think difference equations are part of the usual high school curriculum.

Many people use amortization schedules but do not know the mathematics of their construction. Do you know if difference equations are covered in consumer math books? I was envisioning this as part of a good business math course.

Nope, no clue. I have a lot of math books, but none that are consumer math.

Heather

So, here's a refinement of my question: What should a student who has gotten through the typical algebra I - geometry - algebra II sequence with acceptable comprehension but no desire to go forward do next? Is there any value in compelling that student to continue with higher level math? And, if so, what is that value?

For one thing, I would like that Algebra II course to include some trigonometry. Trig is just so practical that I think students should be exposed both to triangular trig functions and the unit circle/radian measure. (Trig is used in construction, headings and bearings in navigation, etc. Simple trig can help a homeowner estimate the height of a tree.)

Does everyone need Calculus? No. Precalc? No. Certainly I would love to see students study Calculus for the sheer joy of doing so, but I understand that not everyone reads Shakespeare. Not everyone is interested in the pillars of civilization--and Calculus as a tool is one of those.

Why the Rush to Calculus? I think what has happened is that our society has become more quantitatively oriented. And not just engineers! History or psych majors of yore did not need to study math in college. Now statistics is often required for these degrees. And that explains why Precalculus is on the list of classes that many students take. Algebra II/Trig is insufficient these days because the content has been watered down. (My Dolciani Algebra II/Trig book from the '70's mimics the content of a modern Precalc course.) If students had a rigorous Algebra II/Trig class, I think they could move into Statistics or Calculus comfortably.

Further, there are other options. A student who is interested in computer science would probably enjoy a combinatorics/graph theory class in high school. A spatially inclined student could study three dimensional geometries or non-Euclidean geometries.

Admittedly, one of the problems of mathematics is its dependence on foundational knowledge. High school students can read 20th century novels, but 20th century mathematics is not studied until one's second or third year of graduate school. It is the nature of the beast. But there are avenues for novices to dip their toes in work outside of the current program of Algebra I/Geometry/Algebra II. One idea is to explore the books in the Anneli Lax series of the Mathematical Association of America.

For one thing, I would like that Algebra II course to include some trigonometry. Trig is just so practical that I think students should be exposed both to triangular trig functions and the unit circle/radian measure. (Trig is used in construction, headings and bearings in navigation, etc. Simple trig can help a homeowner estimate the height of a tree.)

Does everyone need Calculus? No. Precalc? No. Certainly I would love to see students study Calculus for the sheer joy of doing so, but I understand that not everyone reads Shakespeare. Not everyone is interested in the pillars of civilization--and Calculus as a tool is one of those.

Why the Rush to Calculus? I think what has happened is that our society has become more quantitatively oriented. And not just engineers! History or psych majors of yore did not need to study math in college. Now statistics is often required for these degrees. And that explains why Precalculus is on the list of classes that many students take. Algebra II/Trig is insufficient these days because the content has been watered down. (My Dolciani Algebra II/Trig book from the '70's mimics the content of a modern Precalc course.) If students had a rigorous Algebra II/Trig class, I think they could move into Statistics or Calculus comfortably.

Further, there are other options. A student who is interested in computer science would probably enjoy a combinatorics/graph theory class in high school. A spatially inclined student could study three dimensional geometries or non-Euclidean geometries.

Admittedly, one of the problems of mathematics is its dependence on foundational knowledge. High school students can read 20th century novels, but 20th century mathematics is not studied until one's second or third year of graduate school. It is the nature of the beast. But there are avenues for novices to dip their toes in work outside of the current program of Algebra I/Geometry/Algebra II. One idea is to explore the books in the Anneli Lax series of the Mathematical Association of America.

I'm looking at the descriptions of those books, and some of them do sound interesting. I have to admit, though, that I don't even understand what some of them are about, not any better than I understand some of what you wrote. And, since for many of us doing all of that math is designed to please college admissions offices, I wonder if those would be acceptable on a transcript? And how would I know my student was prepared for them, since they are off the beaten path?

I'm not trying to be argumentative or negative or unpleasant. I promise! But I guess my feeling about calculus is that, although I do think it's important to understand its uses and its role as one of those pillars of civilization, I still don't get why people who aren't interested in or talented at math should have to actually do it. Personally, I think the history of math is interesting, just not the actual math. In fact, I think the conceptual side of math is nifty. I just don't like (and am not great at) actually crunching the numbers.

In other words, maybe not everyone is fascinated by all the pillars of civilization to the same depth. And, since I love the fact that people are individuals, I'm really okay with that.

In my ideal world, once students had a basic grounding in the normal stuff, they might have a chance to take a class that exposed them to and covered some information about the assorted higher level math stuff. Then, the ones who were all excited about moving on could choose something and get to it, while the rest of us would at least have a conceptual understanding of what they were doing. (And maybe it could introduce some of those trig functions you mentioned.)

I suspect that the increasing insistence on more math in high school and to enter college has as much to do with the general dumbing down of our educational system as anything else. Since colleges and employers can't guarantee that students have actually learned anything in the old-fashioned three-course sequence, now we have to plan on four.

What I'm dealing with in my home, though, is students who are most likely to go into the arts. My daughter is finishing her senior year as a theatre major (a degree that required exactly two math courses). My son may well go in the same direction, although he is also interested in the techy side of things. I've explained that engineers need more math. That is what makes him say he doesn't want to study engineering.

I was an English major who took an unorthodox route to a college degree. I didn't even finish high school, started at community college and finished at a state university. I flunked 10th grade geometry and fulfilled the math requirements for my bachelors with a "math for liberal arts students" course and one semester of computer programming.

Ten years later, I was the manager of multimedia projects for a Wall Street data provider, and my company was hiring me out to program CBTs for other firms.

I suspect that, had I been forced to continue bashing my head against the wall with more math in high school, I would have felt incompetent and hated the whole idea of even balancing a checkbook. When I was ready and needed to know more, I figured it out. I asked my husband (who didn't even go to college) for help. I read books and looked up what I needed. When I had a use for it, and it mattered, I got it (at least as much as was required).

An analogy: My daughter was an extremely picky eater when she was little. She still is, honestly, but not nearly as bad as then. One evening when she was about six, my husband decided to try to force the issue and have her try "just one bite" of spaghetti. (I want to emphasize the "forcing" wasn't physical, more not allowing her to leave the table until she tried it.) I don't remember how long it took, but she eventually ate exactly one bite, spit it out, crying, and has refused to eat pasta until this day. There are lots of other things she learned to like, including some that are at least mildly exotic (Indian food, for example). But all of them are things she decided on her own she wanted to try.

I'm babbling again. I'm sorry. I'm just very frustrated with the one-size-fits-all mentality, escaping which was one of our reasons for homeschooling.

I've heard it said many, many times on these boards that kids aren't ready for algebra on anyone's time table but their own. You can force it down their throats when they're 12, so the thinking goes, but they won't understand it until they are mature enough to get it.

And I do believe that's true. So, why do we (and the people who set high school graduation requirements and college entrance requirements) assume that, once algebra is out of the way, the next thing will come right on schedule?

Why do we assume that that next thing will come at all? And why do we think that making students who are unready or unwilling just go through the motions will be valuable?

If we can all acknowledge that not every kid is going to read more than the three or four Shakespearean plays assigned in normal English classes -- and may not enjoy or really understand even those and may never see a Shakespearean play in the remainder of their lives -- why isn't it legitimate to suggest that some other kids don't need or want (or maybe can't do) higher level maths?

And for those kids, the ones who may go on to do spectacularly well in liberal arts programs and contribute fantastic things to the world, shouldn't there be options that will get them out of high school?

Edited by Jenny in Florida

If students had a rigorous Algebra II/Trig class, I think they could move into Statistics or Calculus comfortably.

I've been enjoying the discussion (though I have little to add to it).

My daughter took AP Statistics a few years ago through PA Homeschoolers; at that time (probably still) Algebra II was the only prerequisite.

During high school, my daughter completed Precalculus as well as AP Statistics. She has found that her Statistics background has been useful in the Sedimentology (Geology) class that she is currently taking. I have a few regrets that she did not take Calculus (though if she had, she wouldn't have taken Statistics) because I see that it is limiting the classes she is able to take now for her Geology minor. All this to say that one advantage of taking Calculus, beyond intrinsic knowledge, is the fact that it may leave open some doors.

Regards,

Kareni

I've been enjoying the discussion (though I have little to add to it).

My daughter took AP Statistics a few years ago through PA Homeschoolers; at that time (probably still) Algebra II was the only prerequisite.

During high school, my daughter completed Precalculus as well as AP Statistics. She has found that her Statistics background has been useful in the Sedimentology (Geology) class that she is currently taking. I have a few regrets that she did not take Calculus (though if she had, she wouldn't have taken Statistics) because I see that it is limiting the classes she is able to take now for her Geology minor. All this to say that one advantage of taking Calculus, beyond intrinsic knowledge, is the fact that it may leave open some doors.

Regards,

Kareni

But does it really limit the available classes? Couldn't she take an extra semester or an extra year to do the prerequisites and then take those courses?

I understand that extra semesters cost extra money. But I would see that as the limiting factor, if it were my child (or me).

Out of curiosity, I have to ask: What is her major? And when did she show an interest in geology?

In considering other math that one might study in lieu of the standard sequence of math courses beyond Algebra II, I wonder if any of you are familiar with this book and can determine where it might stand in a traditional high school progression.

Crossing the River with Dogs: Problem Solving for College Students by Johnson, Herr and Kysh

It's published by Key Curriculum Press and its earlier incarnation was a high school book.

From Amazon: "Crossing the River with Dogs: Problem Solving for College Students has been adapted from the popular high school text to provide an accessible and coherent college-level course in mathematical problem solving for adults. Focusing entirely on problem solving and using issues relevant to college students for examples, the authors continue their approach of explaining classic as well as non-traditional strategies through dialogs among fictitious students. This text is appropriate for a problem solving, liberal arts mathematics, mathematics for elementary teachers, or developmental mathematics course."

Regards,

Kareni

But does it really limit the available classes? Couldn't she take an extra semester or an extra year to do the prerequisites and then take those courses?

I understand that extra semesters cost extra money. But I would see that as the limiting factor, if it were my child (or me).

Out of curiosity, I have to ask: What is her major? And when did she show an interest in geology?

Her major is Classical Studies or Latin. (At this point she can still choose to go in either of those two directions.)

In 11th grade, she took three quarter-long Geology classes at the community college. She had had a long time love of rocks and minerals and a definite disinterest in Biology thus her decision to take the Geology classes when she knew that the colleges she was interested in would be looking for three or four years of science.

A good number of the Geology classes at her college do have a prerequisite of Calculus; however, thus far she has managed to take only those courses that do not. Financially, neither she nor we would be able to afford an additional semester or year of her college fees. While the local community college and state university do offer summer sessions in Calculus, those classes run from June to mid-September while her summer break is from mid-May to late August.

Regards,

Kareni

In considering other math that one might study in lieu of the standard sequence of math courses beyond Algebra II, I wonder if any of you are familiar with this book and can determine where it might stand in a traditional high school progression.

Crossing the River with Dogs: Problem Solving for College Students

Yep. I'm planning to have my son work through the first half of it next year alongside one of the Art of Problem Solving books.

I haven't been able to get a straight answer anywhere about where it goes in the regular math sequence. But the AoPS folks told me that their book "counts" as "algebra I and above" for graduation / college admission purposes. So, we're forging ahead with the combination.

In 11th grade, she took three quarter-long Geology classes at the community college. She had had a long time love of rocks and minerals and a definite disinterest in Biology thus her decision to take the Geology classes when she knew that the colleges she was interested in would be looking for three or four years of science.

Ah. So her interest in geology did turn up in high school? That's what I was wondering.

And I do understand about the financial aspect of the prerequisites. I was just thinking that it wouldn't be too late to pick up the calculus or whatever was required if she could afford the time and money. I guess I always prefer to think of things as "possible if . . ." than limited.

Yep. I'm planning to have my son work through the first half of it next year alongside one of the Art of Problem Solving books.

I haven't been able to get a straight answer anywhere about where it goes in the regular math sequence. But the AoPS folks told me that their book "counts" as "algebra I and above" for graduation / college admission purposes. So, we're forging ahead with the combination.

That sounds like a great combination, Jenny! Given that the text is a college level book (and most likely used to fulfill a college math requirement in a non-traditional way), it seems as if it should be considered as post-Algebra II.

Ah. So her interest in geology did turn up in high school? That's what I was wondering.

And I do understand about the financial aspect of the prerequisites. I was just thinking that it wouldn't be too late to pick up the calculus or whatever was required if she could afford the time and money. I guess I always prefer to think of things as "possible if . . ." than limited.

Yes, her interest definitely developed in high school or even earlier rather than during college. I don't think though that we (I) envisioned it as a possible minor. Had we done so, perhaps we'd have done the research that might have indicated the wisdom of pursuing Calculus in high school. Hindsight is always 20/20!

Regards,

Kareni

That sounds like a great combination, Jenny! Given that the text is a college level book (and most likely used to fulfill a college math requirement in a non-traditional way), it seems as if it should be considered as post-Algebra II.

That's my argument, too. I fully intend to mention it is a college-level text in my course desciption.

Yes, her interest definitely developed in high school or even earlier rather than during college. I don't think though that we (I) envisioned it as a possible minor. Had we done so, perhaps we'd have done the research that might have indicated the wisdom of pursuing Calculus in high school. Hindsight is always 20/20!

Isn't it, though? I kind of feel like I dodged a bullet, because right up until the month before she left for college, my daughter was flirting with the idea of studying anthropology (specifically, forensic anthropology, because she was interested in archaeology). If she had decided to go that way, she would have been in an even leakier boat than your daughter, since it would have been her major. It definitely would have required some catching up in math before she could have gotten very far!

That wasn't the reason she decided against anthropology, though. In the end, that interest faded as she got more and more passionate about theatre.

I took dd to local state univ. that is nearby (ds goes there).They require four years of math on the college transcript. I asked about math for dd for senior year, I explained that she is doing well with Algebra 2, but that I feel she needs another year of algebra before tackling Precalc. or college algebra. I talked to the head of general education (also the English chair) and the Head of Admissions (the go to person for homeschoolers). The English chair said that college algebra is prep. for calculus, either regular or business calc. and a prerereq. for statistics. If you are not going to take those, then you don't have to take college algebra. So until dd decides whether she is doing a degree that requires college algebra (some don't, English and Art are two), she should be prepared to take it. He didn't like the idea of accounting or consumer math being taken (bad to take the year before college algebra). He did approve of the idea of doing intermediate algebra. The head of admissions said the same thing, except absolutely no accounting, no consumer math, and that intermediate algebra (or we can call it algebra 3) would be fine. So....even though my homeschool association says accounting and consumer math are fine, we can't do them since there is a good chance dd will go to the college we went to today.

Edited by Susan C.
geez its late...

So....even though my homeschool association says accounting and consumer math are fine, we can't do them since there is a good chance dd will go to the college we went to today.

You are so wise to ask the college!

One other note regarding this: When the UNC system changed the Math requirement for applicants (four years and not three as in the past), plenty of time was given for schools to implement the change and for students to plan their high school coursework. Yet some area homeschoolers were caught off guard. This is why I always add the caveat that just because the college accepted something ten years ago does not mean they will do it five years from now.

You are so wise to ask the college!

One other note regarding this: When the UNC system changed the Math requirement for applicants (four years and not three as in the past), plenty of time was given for schools to implement the change and for students to plan their high school coursework. Yet some area homeschoolers were caught off guard. This is why I always add the caveat that just because the college accepted something ten years ago does not mean they will do it five years from now.

There's a major difference between Canada and the US - you wouldn't find colleges or universities here wanting anyone to have "four years of math", I don't imagine, because high school ITSELF is only three years. I'm not aware of any Canadian province* that counts grade nine as high school (although some grade nines may be AT the high school, as is the case in our town) - credits begin to be accumulated in grade ten.

*with the exception of perhaps Ontario back when they had "grade 13"? I don't know, I never knew how that worked.

[bit random, but I thought of this when I read your post]

Oh and I wanted to mention - a good friend of mine graduated her daughter last year (homeschooled all the way through)... when her daughter got to algebra, she was having a very difficult time and wanted nothing more to do with it. Knowing that her daughter wasn't headed toward a 'math oriented' career, my friend spoke with the home education advisors here and they suggested a Consumer Math track for her. She went that route and was successful with it.. and is now in college, pursuing the exact career that she wanted. :)

I can't quite remember what the course is that she's taking, but it's got something to do with sports & recreation, and 'outdoors' type stuff. It's the kind of thing that could lead to someone being the director of a white water rafting company or the like... if I remember the right name for it, I'll come back and edit.

He scored a 28 on the ACT test, earning him a $5,000 per year Life Scholarship.

His lowest score on the ACT was in math, which was a 25. If he had had Trig as a separate class, he would have scored higher. (From what I remember on the ACT, the last 7 problems in the math portion are trigonometry)

Great job! Tell him Congrats! Do you mind if I ask what math curriculum you used each year of high school and what courses?

Blessings

Sandra

Now let me throw another question at you.....what if your dc will be going to a CC for 2+ years first? Would a year of Consumer Math matter then? She will have to take the CPT test before admissions. From what several have said that have been through the process here, they don't even really look at the transcripts. They just go by the CPT scores.

Oh and I wanted to mention - a good friend of mine graduated her daughter last year (homeschooled all the way through)... when her daughter got to algebra, she was having a very difficult time and wanted nothing more to do with it. Knowing that her daughter wasn't headed toward a 'math oriented' career, my friend spoke with the home education advisors here and they suggested a Consumer Math track for her. She went that route and was successful with it.. and is now in college, pursuing the exact career that she wanted. :)

I can't quite remember what the course is that she's taking, but it's got something to do with sports & recreation, and 'outdoors' type stuff. It's the kind of thing that could lead to someone being the director of a white water rafting company or the like... if I remember the right name for it, I'll come back and edit.

Hopefully she doesnt change her major, like my dd just did. The new major requires Statistics and CAlc, she stopped at Geometry in High school. Boy , is she behind. It is going to take all her college credits just to catch up in math.

She is determined to make the new major hers, even if she has major math catchup.

:D See how we can tie math into theatre on this forum? I ate, slept and breathed theatre in high school (when I wasn't doing math, practising piano, socializing, etc.) Man and Superman meets fractals.

For those who don't think you need algebra to do art - I spent awhile today trying to figure out how much I needed to shave off the top or bottom of a photo on my laptop to make it the same aspect ratio as my piece of paper. I tried various things unsuccessfully before I finally decided it would be much simpler just to use algebra. Then it took me only a minute.

I have also used algebra and trig for sewing projects.

I'm sure there are other ways of solving my problem than algebra, but the algebra sure was handy.

-Nan