Menu

Excellence in Lit. vs. Lightning Lit. for Science major

For those with experience with both programs, which would you suggest for a student who will be Math/Science heavy in their Senior Year? I will be pursuing a Science Major, so while I LOVE British Literature, it won't be a top priority, more of a requirement filler.

For those with experience in either, what did you like/not like about the program? Excellence in Lit. seems a bit "fluffy" while Lightning Lit. seems very rigorous (2 guides in one year).

Like I said, I enjoy British Literature but my main focus and priority will be Math and Science (Math about 1 1/2 hours/day [sometimes it can take me up to four! though] and Science will be at least 3 [two science courses]).

Thanks for any input!

ADD: I've had no previous experience in either (and I see Lightning Lit. suggests, though not requires that). I don't doubt I could do either, it is just the time involved. (1 hour to 1 1/2 hours a day seems reasonable (not including the readings) but again, it isn't a main priority.

Edited by BeatleMania
title change

Hi Stephanie,

How comfortable are you writing and then grading your own papers? Excellence in Literature is an essay driven program. No short-answer. The program is heavy on research, reading, and writing.

The list of titles covered is here:

http://www.everyday-education.com/literature/eng4.shtml

Writer's Inc is recommended as a writing guide. Several hsing publishers defer to this guide for writing instruction.

Here is a sample unit so you can see what I mean:

http://www.everyday-education.com/downloadables-pdfs/eil1-sample-twain2010.pdf

(Note this is for the first level. There are what might be considered "short answer" questions assigned in week one. I haven't seen these at the upper levels. In either case, no "answers" are given.)

Note the essay assigned in Week Three. That's it. That's the assignment. No more instruction is given. You would be on your own to manage from there. There is no answer key. No list of points you should cover. No more direction about how to DO the assignment. What you see is what the program offers. There are plenty of folks who are completely comfortable working with that level of instruction. You need to decide if you can manage on your own with that.

Each book listed for each of the nine units usually has two writing assignments. Some are more list-like. But the program does assign a literary analysis essay for each text. GREAT practice for a college-level lit course. But the program might not suit you if you have no one to give you feedback on your work.

I would suggest that you review the Lightning Lit as well. I believe there are more components to the program. But I think the ultimate goal is also a literary analysis writing assignment as well. (Do check - but I think LL also relies on the Writers Inc Handbook too. You will have to do the reading and work through the writing process in the handbook without specific instruction that applies to your actual assignment. Just the general instruction provided in the handbook.)

In both cases, you might be able to make good use of the Writing Forum here on the boards. I'm sure there are gals here who would offer you feedback on your papers. However, it will take quite a bit of initiative on your part to get through the drafting stage. You can check, but I suspect that most of the gals on the board won't have the time to walk you through all of the steps. BUT they might be willing to offer you input once you get through a draft. So it's do able. But it won't be easy. It's easy to get behind and let the "writing" part of any program slide. Then the literature course just ends up being a reading list.

I CERTAINLY don't want to discourage you. But you are taking on a huge responsibility by hsing yourself. I am SURE it will pay rich dividends in the end if you do it well: the kids who self-manage and self-monitor ROCK in the college world. ;) But I would caution you that the Excellence in Literature is by no means light-weight if done as written. And there are no "easier" assignments in the program. There's nothing to fall back on that will give you a sense that you've "cut" the more difficult parts but are still "doing" literature. There is reading, research about the author and the time period, and a writing assignment. That's it. It assumes a very high level of maturity on the part of the student. It moves along at a quick pace. A student who lacks vision could get lost "researching" terrific rabbit trails (Read: wasting time on the internet) and NEVER get to the heavy lifting: the writing assignments.

So it's certainly do-able. But it will require time and persistence. The program itself will offer you very little in the way of hand-holding. There isn't even a daily schedule. It really does expect a very high level of personal accountability in order to be successful. And someone like you who is taking hsing on for yourself DESERVES to feel successful. You deserve it! I would hate for you to pick a program that sets you up for failure.

A thought: IEW lists a sample unit for the BL program: It's King Lear. The play is available on the internet for free. Maybe you could try the four-week sample. Just print it and try it. See how you do. Feel the pace. Post your essay. (The gals who offer to help you with your essay can see everything you had to work with as well. It's a free sample. :001_smile:) If it works, you'll know what to use. If it doesn't, you know what NOT to use. In either case you will be working toward your British Lit credit. Every BL course includes some Shakespeare. King Lear is a great choice. You'll be done with part of ANY good BL program. Make sense?

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/files/EIL-4%20Sample.pdf

Pick something that paves the way for your success. You deserve it! You do! :001_smile:

Hope that helps!

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Hi Stephanie,

How comfortable are you writing and then grading your own papers? Excellence in Literature is an essay driven program. No short-answer. The program is heavy on research, reading, and writing.

The list of titles covered is here:

http://www.everyday-education.com/literature/eng4.shtml

Writer's Inc is recommended as a writing guide. Several hsing publishers defer to this guide for writing instruction.

Here is a sample unit so you can see what I mean:

http://www.everyday-education.com/downloadables-pdfs/eil1-sample-twain2010.pdf

(Note this is for the first level. There are what might be considered "short answer" questions assigned in week one. I haven't seen these at the upper levels. In either case, no "answers" are given.)

Note the essay assigned in Week Three. That's it. That's the assignment. No more instruction is given. You would be on your own to manage from there. There is no answer key. No list of points you should cover. No more direction about how to DO the assignment. What you see is what the program offers. There are plenty of folks who are completely comfortable working with that level of instruction. You need to decide if you can manage on your own with that.

Each book listed for each of the nine units usually has two writing assignments. Some are more list-like. But the program does assign a literary analysis essay for each text. GREAT practice for a college-level lit course. But the program might not suit you if you have no one to give you feedback on your work.

I would suggest that you review the Lightning Lit as well. I believe there are more components to the program. But I think the ultimate goal is also a literary analysis writing assignment as well. (Do check - but I think LL also relies on the Writers Inc Handbook too. You will have to do the reading and work through the writing process in the handbook without specific instruction that applies to your actual assignment. Just the general instruction provided in the handbook.)

In both cases, you might be able to make good use of the Writing Forum here on the boards. I'm sure there are gals here who would offer you feedback on your papers. However, it will take quite a bit of initiative on your part to get through the drafting stage. You can check, but I suspect that most of the gals on the board won't have the time to walk you through all of the steps. BUT they might be willing to offer you input once you get through a draft. So it's do able. But it won't be easy. It's easy to get behind and let the "writing" part of any program slide. Then the literature course just ends up being a reading list.

I CERTAINLY don't want to discourage you. But you are taking on a huge responsibility by hsing yourself. I am SURE it will pay rich dividends in the end if you do it well: the kids who self-manage and self-monitor ROCK in the college world. ;) But I would caution you that the Excellence in Literature is by no means light-weight if done as written. And there are no "easier" assignments in the program. There's nothing to fall back on that will give you a sense that you've "cut" the more difficult parts but are still "doing" literature. There is reading, research about the author and the time period, and a writing assignment. That's it. It assumes a very high level of maturity on the part of the student. It moves along at a quick pace. A student who lacks vision could get lost "researching" terrific rabbit trails (Read: wasting time on the internet) and NEVER get to the heavy lifting: the writing assignments.

So it's certainly do-able. But it will require time and persistence. The program itself will offer you very little in the way of hand-holding. There isn't even a daily schedule. It really does expect a very high level of personal accountability in order to be successful. And someone like you who is taking hsing on for yourself DESERVES to feel successful. You deserve it! I would hate for you to pick a program that sets you up for failure.

A thought: IEW lists a sample unit for the BL program: It's King Lear. The play is available on the internet for free. Maybe you could try the four-week sample. Just print it and try it. See how you do. Feel the pace. Post your essay. (The gals who offer to help you with your essay can see everything you had to work with as well. It's a free sample. :001_smile:) If it works, you'll know what to use. If it doesn't, you know what NOT to use. In either case you will be working toward your British Lit credit. Every BL course includes some Shakespeare. King Lear is a great choice. You'll be done with part of ANY good BL program. Make sense?

http://www.excellenceinwriting.com/files/EIL-4%20Sample.pdf

Pick something that paves the way for your success. You deserve it! You do! :001_smile:

Hope that helps!

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

I really appreciate your thoughts!

I think it is a great idea to give it a try, and I'll be doing the 4 week sample. I already own King Lear, so that works great!

I just have one question: Is EIW and EIL the same program? Sorry if it seems like a dumb question but I can't figure out the difference between the two.

Thanks!

ETA: Nevermind, I think I figured it out. EIW is the company and EIL is one program from the company.

Edited by BeatleMania