Menu

Does anyone know anything about the Warrior books ...

Luanne

Here's a link to a lengthy Wikipedia article about the series and the author (the books are actually written by 3 people, who share the pen name of Erin Hunter): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warriors_(novel_series).

The series of books are about cats who live in various cat clans in the wild, and who have various alliances, clan fights, and quests in each book. Occasionally, the wild cats come in contact with domesticated cats, which they look down on (the house cats are usually described as neutered, fat, sleepy/lazy). The cats also have a "spiritual" or "religious" aspect that comes up every so often in the books which involves meeting in a sacred underground place, plus a stone and moonlight. I think it is the idea of the world that appeals to many readers. I would say that the writing level of this series is geared for grades 3-6. The series is quite popular and has spawned websites and fan fiction.

IN MY OPINION:

(I previewed 2 books) The series of books are adequate in writing and predictable in plot; moving up in the cat clan hierarchy seemed to be the extent of character development. I would consider these "snack food" books, along the lines of the Anamorph or Babysitter Club books; while one or two probably won't hurt you, you're better off enjoying quality books.

Some parents may also be concerned over the spirituality/religious aspect of the cat clan culture. Others may be concerned over the "gang" like aspect of the cat clans (cats identified with a specific group and territory; fighting rival clans; etc.)

As always, best to preview for yourself to see what you think. Hope something here helps! Warmest regards, Lori D.

My dd (10) has read them all - I believe there are 19 of them or so. She loved them & will read any more that may come out.

The other series that she read - while reading the Warriors series - is the Guardians of Ga'Hoole. That series is about owls.

If you asked her, she would surely recommend both :-)

My dd (10) has read them all - I believe there are 19 of them or so. She loved them & will read any more that may come out.

The other series that she read - while reading the Warriors series - is the Guardians of Ga'Hoole. That series is about owls.

If you asked her, she would surely recommend both :-)

My daughter and I just started reading the Guardians of Ga'Hoole and we both really enjoy them.

Thanks. :001_smile:

I am reading the first Warriors book aloud to my dd6. She seems to be following it rather well and is really enjoying it. I don't know that I'll read any more to her, probably wait and let her read them herself when she is able.

She has read them over and over again.She writes stories in the style of the authors.Her writing has improved significantly thanks to those books.Getting her to write anything prior to finding those books was pure torture.I personally find them dull but she loves them.And I was the same way about LOTR when I was her age.

And yes,my house cats are spayed/neutered,fat and lazy.

My daughter got into these last year-ish and read them all. I read one, I would move them a level ahead of Babysitters Club books for sure! Not high lit, but not total drivel like Babysitters Club. (Can you tell I read all the Babysitters books as a kid, LOL?)

My dd11 loveloveloves these books and I think she owns all of them. She and a few of the neighbor girls have a "Warrior Cats Club" and have meetings where they do crafts and choose cat names. I've read the first two series and they're fine with me, but some people object to the cat characters' ancestor-worship-type religion, just FYI.

Karen