Menu

LToW 4th edition, sample pages online

ENTER IF YOU DARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am NOT responsible for any purchases that may be incurred upon reading this post.

Here's a link for the Lost Tools of Writing 4th edition sample pages. This edition looks A LOT LOT LOT LOT more clear than the 3rd edition. My friend is upgrading to the 4th edition so I'll get to take a look at it in a few weeks once it starts shipping!

http://www.losttoolsofwriting.com/pages/demo

Capt Uhura

Edited by Capt_Uhura

Now where is that required warning on this thread? Perhaps we need a smiley. This one would work. free-sign-smileys-979.gif

:lol:

I opened it and quickly backed out. But I'm back again. I just printed out The Writer's Jungle this afternoon, for Pete's sake! I will stick to my plan to buy LToW in the fall. I will.

Anyway I just remembered, I've picked my curriculum for next year and I'm not supposed to look at anything else. ;)

Hummmm...maybe this is a rule I should institute in our house --maybe post it in a prominent place, include it in memory work so it actually sinks in?

I've really enjoyed reading through the sample. I do have a question though for those that have the program or know more than I do about it. I would like to add this program in down the road, but for now plan on teaching sentence structure and style (ie. Killgallon, Image Grammar, MCT). One of the sections in the LToW says something about hidden subjects put behind prepositional phrases. (ie. The man was sent by the Duke to Olivia.) It made me think of the first line of The Hobbit and SWBs talk about it. Am I mistaken in saying that it is a hidden subject? But... I kind of like it that way, so I wondered how much LToW allowed for creative expression in some of the sentences? Or am I mistaken and those types of sentences should only be allowed in 'creative' writing? Anyway, regardless, it looks like an outstanding program to use and I am like everyone else in wanting it ordered YESTERDAY.

Edited by SaDonna

Can you picture this ....... I am covering my eyes, plugging my ears (oh, if only I had four hands!) and babbling, "I'm happy with my writing program, I don't need another, I'm happy with my writing program, I don't need another ...." :D:D

I LOVED the sample pages! Perhaps I can get around the curriculum guilt by the excuse that I'm buying it for myself .....??? :001_huh:

I noticed that there are 2 levels of the program ..... what ages does it target?

I, too, would love to hear if anyone is using it and if they're happy with it .....

The upgrade is $74 for a hardcopy of the Teacher's Guide and Student Workbook. The same 2 items in PDF form is $49. If you feel that you need the new CD's, those are included as well (just have to ask).

I'll definitely let you know my thoughts. I'm planning to take mine to dd's orthodontist appointment this morning for fun reading.:001_smile:

I LOVED the sample pages! Perhaps I can get around the curriculum guilt by the excuse that I'm buying it for myself .....??? :001_huh:

I noticed that there are 2 levels of the program ..... what ages does it target?

I, too, would love to hear if anyone is using it and if they're happy with it .....

I haven't used this program. My friend has the 3rd edition and I've listened to the CDs. Once she receives the 4th edition upgrade, I'll really try to sink my teeth into this as part of my self-education to stay one step ahead of DS. I believe the LToW classes were targeted for 8th-9th grades for LToW1. Hopefully someone will confirm or deny that. Circe Institute will be hosting their own classes this fall but there is no age/grade listed. There is a Circe Institute teacher who uses it w/ 4th-5th graders but he is trained in this program and would therefore know how to tweak and adapt for a younger audience. All of the threads about LToW that I've seen have mainly been at the high school forum.

Edited by Capt_Uhura

I would say that's passive voice and/or hidden subject (which I believe can be due to passive voice.) I think the key is to know when it works and when it doesn't. It most definitely works in The Hobbit. I think what he is addressing is not artistic license but just poor sentence structure. I believe you have to know the rules in order to know when and how to break them.

I posted a wonderful "sentence" from Wind in the Willows which was full of participial phrases, absolute phrases but when you look at it as a whole, it's a "sentence" made of sentence parts....there is no distinct subject-predicate. THe predicate is only for the last sentence part. But it works!

I've really enjoyed reading through the sample. I do have a question though for those that have the program or know more than I do about it. I would like to add this program in down the road, but for now plan on teaching sentence structure and style (ie. Killgallon, Image Grammar, MCT). One of the sections in the LToW says something about hidden subjects put behind prepositional phrases. (ie. The man was sent by the Duke to Olivia.) It made me think of the first line of The Hobbit and SWBs talk about it. Am I mistaken in saying that it is a hidden subject? But... I kind of like it that way, so I wondered how much LToW allowed for creative expression in some of the sentences? Or am I mistaken and those types of sentences should only be allowed in 'creative' writing? Anyway, regardless, it looks like an outstanding program to use and I am like everyone else in wanting it ordered YESTERDAY.

The upgrade is $74 for a hardcopy of the Teacher's Guide and Student Workbook. The same 2 items in PDF form is $49. If you feel that you need the new CD's, those are included as well (just have to ask).

I'll definitely let you know my thoughts. I'm planning to take mine to dd's orthodontist appointment this morning for fun reading.:001_smile:

Well, now I wish I had waited for the 4th edition. I recently bought used. Not sure if I want to spend more for upgrade, but I think some of the changes are excellent.

Hummmm...maybe this is a rule I should institute in our house --maybe post it in a prominent place, include it in memory work so it actually sinks in?

:D Great idea.

Of course you quoted me while I was editing. The new rule is a little more strict. ;)

I would say that's passive voice and/or hidden subject (which I believe can be due to passive voice.) I think the key is to know when it works and when it doesn't. It most definitely works in The Hobbit. I think what he is addressing is not artistic license but just poor sentence structure. I believe you have to know the rules in order to know when and how to break them.

I posted a wonderful "sentence" from Wind in the Willows which was full of participial phrases, absolute phrases but when you look at it as a whole, it's a "sentence" made of sentence parts....there is no distinct subject-predicate. THe predicate is only for the last sentence part. But it works!

Yes, I think that's it. I ran across this note on p.35 (Lesson 3) of the Student Workbook:

"Note: As with every grammatical construction, passive verbs have their place. Everything depends on the context. At this point, you should develop the habit of noticing when you use passive or active verbs and, unless you have a compelling reason to use passive, lean toward the active voice."

I thoroughly enjoyed the sample, and I appreciate you explaining that to me. As I have said many times, I have a lot to learn about writing. It seems like this is a beautiful program to use in the coming years. I think next year I will concentrate on the sentence and a basic paragraph and then move into this in the 6th grade perhaps. Thank you for your advice. ;-)

• 1 month later...

Ok those that have perused the 4th edition, what do you think? I'm still perusing Kalmia's but I'm about to hit the buy button. The one question I had was would we reuse some of the student pages. It might take writing several essays for the skill to be more automatic. It might be nice to have extra pages. I have to take another look or perhaps listen b/c I think the author said that you should photocopy certain pages for multiple use. Can anyone clarify that for me? That would make photocopies for the same student legal. I suppose it is easy enough to recreate the forms in Word but it would be easier if they were simple PDF documents. Maybe I'll ask at the LTW yahoogroup.