Menu

Horse peeps...

what would you do? We have a horse on trial....long story but he's going back and the owners have agreed (reluctantly) to repay the money my daughter has paid toward him. They made the first half of the payment and the rest of it is due on or before 6/1. They are going to be coming to get the horse....but who knows when. Their trucker is busy transporting race horses back to the track so he is very busy. We offered to trailer him but we will charge...our truck gets about 3 miles to the gallon and their farm is about 25 miles away. I need the stall space and I don't think (and this is part of my question) that I should be continuing to pay for this horse. I want to give them a date to have him out of there and if they can't do that, then I want to start charging them board as of that date....they agreed to pay for him over a week ago, so I've waited for the check and she said she mailed it....so now am I expected to pay for his upkeep until they can get him out of there? I don't think I am but I'm not sure. I mean, I want to be nice and fair but I don't have the money to be supporting two horses especially when one isn't mine anymore. Anyone have any ideas?

I would probly return the horse at my expense. I know that is hassel, but as soon as I have my money back I don't want any liability for the horse. :D

I had a barn owner once that if you were 30 days late she would call you and tell you your horse was at the end of the drive tied to a post. Better come get it! (Don't know that it was particularly legal :001_huh:)

I would trailer him back at your expense unless you have an agreement otherwise. When I took a horse on trial, it was with the understanding (in writing) that if he didn't work out, I would get my money back WHEN I returned the horse to their farm.

Honestly, I have never heard of taking a horse on trial and having the old owners come to pick it back up if it didn't work out. That is always the potential buyer's responsibility---at least in our area. I had 2 horses go out on 2 week trials but if they didn't work out, they would have had to trailer the horse back to me before I would have given them ANY money back.