Menu

Any info on tree nut free peanuts?

My daughter is allergic to tree nuts.

We can no longer purchase peanuts, because all of the containters state that they are manufactured on equipment that also processes tree nuts.

Ugh. I've tried all brands I can think of - as well as health food stores in the area without luck ...

Anybody know of any peanuts manufactured with just plain old peanuts???

Thanks in advance.

This may not be terribly helpful, depending on where you are, but I buy local peanuts (in Oklahoma). I would guess that smaller producers would be less likely to have contamination with tree nuts. (It doesn't say on the packaging at all, but I bet I could ask.) I have an unopened 5 lb. bag of raw, shelled Spanish peanuts. If you would like, PM me your address and I would be happy to send you this bag. :)

and truthfully, I had not noticed that peanut butter was so labeled. Fortunately, her allergy is mild and she only needs to avoid nut meats, nut butters and nut oils. So far, she has shown no reaction to products labeled as coming from plants that also use tree nuts.

If your DD is more sensitive, be sure to check out candies as well. Jellie Bellies are one that surprised me when the camp counselors wouldn't let her have them.

Could you try making your own peanut butter from whole peanuts? Or are peanuts roasted on shared equipment? Our local health food stores sell it if you don't want to grind your own (our Whole Foods and a few "mainstream" stores sell fresh ground as well).

Thanks, ladies - - we're actually not looking for a spread or a butter. She can eat peanut butter, though does so sparingly.

We're looking for whole, tasty, plain-old peanuts that are not manufactured on equipment that also processes tree nuts. Peanuts that we can crumble on a pasta salad or on thai food ... or pop in our mouths when so inclined.

As far as them not being good for us - well, all things in moderation :)

Thanks for your wisdom.

Thanks, ladies - - we're actually not looking for a spread or a butter. She can eat peanut butter, though does so sparingly.

We're looking for whole, tasty, plain-old peanuts that are not manufactured on equipment that also processes tree nuts. Peanuts that we can crumble on a pasta salad or on thai food ... or pop in our mouths when so inclined.

As far as them not being good for us - well, all things in moderation :)

Thanks for your wisdom.

Hmm. What about nuts roasted in the shell, that you crack open yourselves? Then, no matter where they're processed, they should be relatively safe, I would think. Sorry we can't be more help. I've never seen this issue discussed before!

Oh, and ETA that I wasn't judging you or anything. I love peanut butter myself--the bad-for-you sweetened kind, no less! There are at least three jars in my pantry. I was just throwing out some alternatives :D

Genius! Great idea - peanuts IN the shell ...

Then when I when to the grocery store today I found that even Fischer's peanuts in the shell "may contain tree nuts". good grief. And the bulk peanuts had no ingredient / allergen information at all. ugh.

Guess a small peanut farmer is what I need after all ... too bad we can't grow peanuts here in Minnesota :(

Genius! Great idea - peanuts IN the shell ...

Then when I when to the grocery store today I found that even Fischer's peanuts in the shell "may contain tree nuts". good grief. And the bulk peanuts had no ingredient / allergen information at all. ugh.

Guess a small peanut farmer is what I need after all ... too bad we can't grow peanuts here in Minnesota :(

LOL! I think it's become one of those labels they slap on everything now to avoid lawsuits. What a bummer. I hope you can find a source somewhere!