Menu

Has anyone tried the Two Plus Two is not Five workbook?

speedmom4

I'm using it with a 2nd grader. I don't think it is written by the Times Tales people, but maybe I am wrong -- it is written by Susan Greenwald. I found it cheapest through Amazon. The basic premise is that your dc learn strategies for solving +/- problems, then practice with worksheets and flashcards. It is a lot of worksheet work. Some of these I do orally w/ dd and I do the writing. My dd doesn't love it, but it is helping her a little. She doesn't count on her fingers, but she is slow on recall. I like that it is systematic; each tier adds new strategies but keeps reviewing the older strategies. Another good way for practicing facts that my dd likes better is games -- Giggle Facts is a good set of games and I think worth the $. You can also just play war with 2 sets of playing cards. Games tend to be very time consuming, however.

I just started using it with my first graders. They have done the first 12 pages and it seems to be helping them retain their math facts. They have been very dependent on using the abacus for solving even the easiest problems like adding or subtracting one, and the tricks in these worksheets seem to be helping. And I like the way each new worksheet includes review of the prior facts learned.

We're in Math Mammoth 1B, and are using this workbook to practice their math facts.

I used it extensively with my daughter. It worked very well for her. The number of worksheets is what contributes to building rapid recall. The combination of repeatedly encountering and using the strategies by looking at them visually and writing the answers helps cement the facts. I also quizzed her orally (which added an auditory component), but I don't remember if the book actually suggests or includes oral quizzing. Rapid oral answers earned her an m&m or other small treat -- but only for newly acquired facts. She loved oral quiz days! I had a chart and periodically reviewed old facts that had already been checked off -- they lost their check if she hesitated too much and made their way back into written work as well. I only officially checked them off if she could answer them rapidly on 4-5 different occasions.

I made my own booklets for her to work through using photocopies from the book and periodic reward pages.

I wish I had done something similar with my older DS. Because he had issues with writing I did not require much written work. I should have required more and gradually built up his writing abilities. Because of lack of drill on facts he had trouble with math further down the road.

Shannon