Menu

What would you do for history with my age kids?

staceyobu

I would like to start a history cycle next year when my oldest is in first. However, I keep getting confused at what will happen when my oldest will be on year 3 and my middle will be starting first. I'm hearing that SOTW 3 is too hard for a first grader. Is there a history program that I can start and fold the little ones into? The only ones I'm finding are TOG (which seems like a lot to purchase for one first grader) and Biblioplan (which I can't find much feedback on). What am I missing here? Are most people running multiple history programs?

You can just add your younger in for the American History topics, or with the geography parts, or let the younger just join in on read alouds and projects, or just wait for a couple years and start thier formal history in 3rd grade with year one (that is my plan ;)).

I think most people just kind of blend the kids together, working with the older and doing what can be done together with all thier kids.

I just folded my boys into history---we used SOTW for our first go round, and are quickly moving through the books again using Sonlight 6 & 7 (they use two books a year). This means next year I'll have a 7th, 6th, 4th, 2nd, & Ker listening to SOTW 3 & 4. I'm not concerned about it at all. In the early elementary years, I just go for exposure and enjoyment of history and SOTW is perfect for that.

I like to keep all of my kids together in history, so I just fold the little ones in at whatever level they are. Truthquest works pretty well for this. It only does American History for the early elementary years and gives suggestions for books for K-5 in their guides for younger children. Their upper level guides give suggestions for 5-12.

Jean

I remember having this same thought a while back when I was starting with my now 7.5 yo dd. Next year we'll be doing SOTW 3 & my ds will be 5 & in Kinder. The best advice I can give is that by the time you get to the stage you are concerned about you will have had two years to figure out how you like to teach history to younger kids. Once you know your preferred style you will be able to figure out the best way to fold your middle child in.

FWIW, I will be doing a tour around the world with my middle child for kinder and then just doing the same history & science as my oldest is doing the following year (SOTW 4 & physics) You can always just use SOTW as a spine and jump off from those topics for your younger. There are lots of American history resources you can find for your younger by doing a simple search at your library and History Pockets make good hands on easy to implement activities.

I'm going to throw out something different and suggest MFW! They are absolutely wonderful when you have multiple ages.

Sandra

I've looked at MFW a lot. The problem I have is that DD is way past first grade phonics and the phonics is tied into the first grade program. I hate to pay for something that includes phonics with the plan not to use part of what I pay for, kwim?

I've considered Adventures for next year, but that would put my oldest on track to start the history cycle at second grade... which is on the young side. I considered doing a round of SOTW and then looking at MFW when my oldest is in 5th for the next history cycle?

I have heard some people say that MFW first grade is worth it even without the phonics. Any thoughts on that? When I look at samples, it looks easier to me than the sonlight K we are currently doing. But maybe I'm not getting a good feel from the samples???