Menu

Is there something like Story of the Orchestra, but with art?

ktgrok

We use the Story of the Orchestra book to do our music study this year. Each week he reads a two page spread on either a composer or an instrument, and writes down 5 things that he learned, using complete sentences. This works really well for us. I'd love to find something similar about artists and styles of art.

We are using the "Usborne Children's Book of Art: Internet Linked" for art this year, along with Artistic Pursuits. We are also using The Story of the Orchestra for music, along with Calvert's Discoveries in Music.

My son really likes the Usborne internet linked books and this one (Children's Book of Art) has some great links, including fun links for doing online art and links to additional art pieces from the artists discussed.

Edited by Guest

We are using the "Usborne Children's Book of Art: Internet Linked" for art this year, along with Artistic Pursuits. We are also using The Story of the Orchestra for music, along with Calvert's Discoveries in Music.

My son really likes the Usborne internet linked books and this one (Children's Book of Art) has some great links, including fun links for doing online art and links to additional art pieces from the artists discussed.

I like that book too. I've linked another choice by Usborne. It ties in great with the history cycle.

http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-Introduction-Art-Association-National/dp/0794506615/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300198023&sr=8-1-spell

Edited by Jeanne in MN

I like that book too. I've linked another choice by Usborne. It ties in great with the history cycle.

http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-Introduction-Art-Association-National/dp/0794506615/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300198023&sr=8-1-spell

Oh... that looks good too :)! Thanks! I am guessing this is the revised edition?

http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-Introduction-Art-Rosie-Dickins/dp/0794527469/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1300221271&sr=1-4

Adding it to my list :). Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze it into our already huge order for next year :tongue_smilie:.

Oh... that looks good too :)! Thanks! I am guessing this is the revised edition?

http://www.amazon.com/Usborne-Introduction-Art-Rosie-Dickins/dp/0794527469/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1300221271&sr=1-4

Adding it to my list :). Hopefully I'll be able to squeeze it into our already huge order for next year :tongue_smilie:.

Wow, it does look like a newer edition than what I listed. June 2010 it said. Don't know how important it is for you to have the newest edition, but I thought I saw that the older one could be had for peanuts. It's a beautiful book too-in case anyone is very budget-minded.

Wow, it does look like a newer edition than what I listed. June 2010 it said. Don't know how important it is for you to have the newest edition, but I thought I saw that the older one could be had for peanuts. It's a beautiful book too-in case anyone is very budget-minded.

I don't think they make that many changes from one edition to the next and I like the cover of yours better, however I live in Canada and the Marketplace shipping to Canada is horrendous. I found copies through the Marketplace here (Amazon.ca) but here the used prices are higher than buying the new one. I won't even touch the new copies. Looks like my only option is the new edition.

They don't seem to have a hardcover option for the new one :001_huh:. I wonder if it's because they have had problems with some of their hardcover books. We have several Internet Linked Usborne books but only one is hardcover and it's the only one that is starting to show wear and tear, and we are good with books. All our paperback are in excellent shape (although some are new).