Menu

Dissection Specimens

Which company sells the low odor ones? Was it Nature's workshop or Home Science Tools? (HST was a bit cheaper, but it sounded like they still might reek of formaldehyde - not sure). Someone commented on this once, but I was unable to find it using the search feature of the boards. Also, how close to using the specimens should I buy them?

we got ours from HST - they are/were a bit smelly.

Wow, really?! We got all our specimens from HST (combo packs of 7 animals, as well as hearts and eyes--for 4 boys), and I didn't think they were smelly at all, esp. not compared to what I remember from high school and college labs! I ordered all of them back in August, and we dissected them throughout the year. They have stayed in fine condition. The 7-packs of animals come in a big sealed plastic bag. Once I opened the bag, I put the remaining specimens in a ziploc bag, since I didn't use them all at one time. It has worked fine!

Sounds like HST had misses and hits. :tongue_smilie: Maybe we'll just buy them from Nature's Workshop. Only 1 positive, but no negatives, right? :D I did see in the Apologia catalog that Nature's Workshop supplies them.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with me! :)

Our frog stunk up the whole downstairs, but the other specimens (including the perch) were fine. I think something went wrong with that frog. Picture a very cold winter with the whole downstairs open with us dissecting in our winter coats.... I just remembered we didn't get it from HST, we got it from someone at a local fair.

We really liked Nature's Workshop because we ordered a bunch of specimens (my son LOVES to dissect stuff) and each one was individually sealed.

We ordered about 10 or 15 specimens during the summer (I can't exactly remember, but seems like it was a lot) and used them throughout the year. They each stayed sealed until we were ready to use them.

No odor. Well, the perch was a little smelly, but we had hearts, eyes, frogs, and heaven knows what else and that's the only thing I remember smelling.

Happy Dissecting!