Menu

Getting rid of mastitis

Is there a way to get rid of mastitis that is NOT caused by a clogged duct? I seem to be prone to the kind of mastitis that happens when (teething) baby is a little overzealous, causes a tiny crack, and bacteria gets in. At least this is what I have been told is happening. I have had this occur with every baby at least once, sometimes more. It always seems to happen when the baby has a cold!

I think I have had it once or twice due to a clogged duct, and those measures I know (warm compresses, massage, baby positioning -- ie, getting the duct unclogged). But I am wondering if there is a way to head this off if it's caused by bacteria entering the bre@st -- or if antibiotics are the only solution. It is hard to find anything on line about this.

My bre@st is sore and I have body aches. No fever yet, but I'm assuming it's on the horizon... would love any help you can give.

I'm also wondering if I am completely wrong about my self-diagnosis and it could be thrush. No white spots on him or me, but the n*pple is red, baby has a diaper rash and I think I had a y. infection last week. THOUGHTS?

My twins and I had thrush, with no white spots. It was miserable - cracking, and pain the entire time nursing, that I could feel even in my armpits. I ended up taking caprylic acid, taking probiotics and vit. C (w/o sugar), and going on a candida diet. It took about 6 months to totally get rid of it. My favorite resource was Erica White's Beat Candida Cookbook.

It would be great if you could figure it out, because if it is thrush, an antibiotic would aggravate your condition. But don't expect your doc to be very helpful. Our ped. prescribed nystatin - with sugar in it. :001_huh: Other treatments that did not work for me were gentian violet and diflucan.

Hope you get better soon!

GardenMom

This does not sound like thrush. But if everyone is sick, I come down with at least mastitis AND maybe the illness they have. So sometimes it is just our bodies way of dealing with the germ.

I have had chronic mastitis for 23 years....gup...you read that correctly. My oldest is 24 and my youngest is 1. Antibiotics is not the answer. You will just set yourself up for thrush. Drink lots of liquids and really rest, rest, rest. Hot bathes, compresses and get the baby to nurse non-stop. I cut out everything in the way of drinks and food for the baby/toddler until I recover. The baby is part of the solution.

Blessings,

Stephanie

My twins and I had thrush, with no white spots. It was miserable - cracking, and pain the entire time nursing, that I could feel even in my armpits. I ended up taking caprylic acid, taking probiotics and vit. C (w/o sugar), and going on a candida diet. It took about 6 months to totally get rid of it. My favorite resource was Erica White's Beat Candida Cookbook.

It would be great if you could figure it out, because if it is thrush, an antibiotic would aggravate your condition. But don't expect your doc to be very helpful. Our ped. prescribed nystatin - with sugar in it. :001_huh: Other treatments that did not work for me were gentian violet and diflucan.

Hope you get better soon!

GardenMom

Wow, that sounds terrible. I don't think I am prone to yeast... I have never had thrush before and have prob. only had 2-3 yeast infections in my life. I hope I don't need to make radical dietary changes (I guess I'm lazy...)! I have been eating less sugar once I started wondering if it could be thrush.

My pain isn't intense like that... it's more like a dull ache in the bre@st, and the n*pple hurts to the touch.

I know -- my confusion makes me wary to go on an antibiotic for fear of making it worse, if it's actually yeast. :confused:

This does not sound like thrush. But if everyone is sick, I come down with at least mastitis AND maybe the illness they have. So sometimes it is just our bodies way of dealing with the germ.

I have had chronic mastitis for 23 years....gup...you read that correctly. My oldest is 24 and my youngest is 1. Antibiotics is not the answer. You will just set yourself up for thrush. Drink lots of liquids and really rest, rest, rest. Hot bathes, compresses and get the baby to nurse non-stop. I cut out everything in the way of drinks and food for the baby/toddler until I recover. The baby is part of the solution.

Blessings,

Stephanie

OH MY! I am so sorry. I do seem to be mastitis prone as well, but not as badly as that. So you do think there is a link between baby's sickness and the propensity to get mastitis? I am leaning that way...

Okay, liquids and rest. I am in bed now. Dh came home early b/c I was sort of losing it (in pain, achy, exhausted). Drinking tea. I don't know if my baby will nurse non-stop... he only nurses twice a day at this point (he's over 1 and thinks he is a big boy!). I'll try to encourage it. Thank you for your thoughts.

My baby is 14 months old and if I get a breast infection, she fights nursing so much too. But this is part of the problem. A 14 month old has opinions. She could forget about nursing during the afternoon one day and cling the next. So the supply and demand tends to get off balance. But maybe close the door to your room, draw the drapes, and then nothing else seems "exciting".

I hope you are well soon!

Blessings,

Stephanie