Menu

Need history read alouds for over the summer

I would like to do a history overview this summer. For sure I want to do a quick spin through world history, maybe US history also. Children are 13, 10, 7, 5, and two tagalongs. We don't need activities or coloring pages, just a couple of good read alouds. Thanks!

Melinda S in TX

I would like to do a history overview this summer. For sure I want to do a quick spin through world history, maybe US history also. Children are 13, 10, 7, 5, and two tagalongs. We don't need activities or coloring pages, just a couple of good read alouds. Thanks!

Melinda S in TX

If you are looking for story type history books, my boys 9 and 5 both enjoy anything by Eric Kimmel or Margaret Hodges. Many are biography books but very well written with great illustrations. We especially enjoyed the Gulliver in Lilliput and Don Quixote by Hodges. Kimmel has many wonderful history stories too. The latest we have read is MacBeth and one about vikings.

I highly recommend them!

it has a very readable narrative style, and my dc have enjoyed it. It's not too basic for your older dc, not too complex for the younger ones.

The first chapter is written from an evolutionary perspective, which you can include, or not, depending upon your POV. He also includes some Biblical events as part of the narrative.

I plan to read it to my dc as an overview during the summer between between 4th and 5th as well.