Menu

Strategies for math

I have been going back and forth on switching math curriculums for some time now as some of you may remember :)

We are using a program for math we like. It is easy to use, schedule, gets done every day and my son is gaining the skills needed through it. So why the desire to switch... well, it doesn't teach different strategies for math. It only teaches the traditional pencil and paper approach to math. I would like my son to have the knowledge and know how to do mental math if he needs to or prefers it. Unfortunately I am not a mathy person and didn't learn these ways in school so I cannot teach him the "tricks" on my own.

Do I need a curriculum switch, a supplement, or just to do some research online, read a book on math strategies and stick with what we are doing now?

Learning how to solve problems in mathematics is knowing what to look for. Math problems often require established procedures and knowing what and when to apply them. To identify procedures, you have to be familiar with the problem situation and be able to collect the appropriate information, identify a strategy or strategies and use the strategy appropriately. G. Polya wrote a book titled 'How To Solve It' in 1957. Many of the ideas that worked then, continue to work for us now. The steps below are very similar to those expressed in Polya's book.All the best........:)

I just picked up Liping Ma's Knowing and Teaching Elementary Mathematics at our library. You might check yours. Also, if you are wanting to teach mental math, maybe Math Mammoth would be a good supplement? It's on sale at the HBSC this month for a steal!

Thanks, I just put it on hold at the library.

I have been looking at math mammoth I just can't decide whether to get the blue or light blue. I would be using it as a supplement so I guess I should go with the blue. I just have to make sure it has the mental math strategies that the light blue does.