Menu

Encyclopedia

aelgraham

Hi folks,

I am wondering if any of you have purchased an encyclopedia set for your homeschool, and if so, did you use it and was it worth it. Also, any opinion on buying an older, used set, and whether it felt out-of-date for your studies.

Many thanks!

Amy

I know that I've posted on at least one thread like this before so you might search for more answers. We bought a 2008 set (new) at a library book sale in 2009 for $50. My kids are constantly reading stuff in the books. Worth every penny for us. If you do Sonlight Core 5, they are especially valuable unless you prefer the online encyclopedia.

We have the set I grew up with. We use them often enough to keep them readily accessible. I haven't had any issue with the age of them as we look up more current topics on the internet if necessary. We have found them to be a treasure-trove of good information. It is much easier/better than the 'net for good maps, for instance.

I wouldn't spend more than $50 to get a set nowadays.

We don't own a set and I went to public school myself, but my parents bought a set (1992) brand new and I LOVED them! I loved picking one off a shelf and reading about random things. Hmmm. Now I think I'll have to buy a set.

We bought a set of World Books for about $20 at a library sale. At the time, it was a few years old, now it's over a decade old. I'd like to upgrade, but they started charging a lot more for them.

My dc use it all the time. My 8 yo always has at least one with him, reading about what interests him.

We have discussed the limitations (technology, current events, etc.,) but for most things, they are fine. IMHO, World Book is your best bet for elementary through early high school.

I decided not to. They're expensive, they take up space I want for other books (haha) and I DO love books, but just couldn't justify or become interested enough in a set of encyclopedias... everything is available so easily on the Internet that it just seems easier sometimes, and we can always go to the library if need be.

I love, love, love my encyclopedias. New Book of Knowledge, World Book, Columbia, and my favorite specialty encyclopedia, The Human Rights Encyclopedia.

New Book is so easy to read. World Book has great outlines that I use to plan literature, art and music appreciation. The Columbia is a one volume unique book that is between a dictionary and an encyclopedia, that truly is a one of a kind resource, rather than a wannabe big set. I quote the Human Rights Encyclopedia as much as the Bible. I cannot be without it!

My wish list includes Britanica, Comptons and more specialty encyclopedias. I READ my encyclopedias, so online just doesn't cut it.

I consider myself rich and privileged to own my own sets. Sometimes I just cannot believe I have them, and sometimes I even feel guilty like it's hoarding so much goodness for one person.

I cannot comprehend anyone loving to read and loving books but not loving encyclopedias :-0

Hi folks,

I am wondering if any of you have purchased an encyclopedia set for your homeschool, and if so, did you use it and was it worth it. Also, any opinion on buying an older, used set, and whether it felt out-of-date for your studies.

Many thanks!

Amy

We don't have a set of encyclopedias. We do have Kingfishers Animal, Science and History Encyclopedias. Which get used all the time. If I were to find a great price on an entire set I may pick them up. Though we use the internet and library books to find most everything now.