Menu

Please tell me I'm not the only one...(curriculum hopping)

So this is how our year has gone. Started out with CLE Math. Used it 1 day. I hated the scripting, so I ditched it and bought Math Mammoth. After about a month, it became obvious dd wasn't getting her math facts down, so I pulled out CLE again. We have stuck with it and love it! Dd is doing great with Math, and begs to do it first everyday.

We also started with AAS...after about a week of that, I ditched it and bought R&S Spelling. Now I want AAS back : ( But I sold it, so now I am off top re-buy that. Ugh.

Please tell me I am not the only flip-flopper out there! WHY am I doing this????

You're definitely not the only one! I bought AAS, got through 1.5 books and sold it. Bought Spelling Power, Sequential Spelling and a couple of other programs and now we're back to AAS.

I've done it with math and grammar as well. One of these days I'll get it all figured out.

No, you're not the only one. My first five years of homeschooling I was a hopper and a junkie :ohmy: I had almost every math, phonics,spelling program from grades 1-6 mentioned on this board.

For the past three years I've calmed down. I no longer am addicted to purchasing curriculum and am not a hopper anymore. Yay!

During a school year there may be some changes but, it's nothing like before :party:I may not use the same curriculum for the next year but I don't think that's hopping ;)

Same here. Bought AIG's God's Design for Life for this year and used it twice. Bought AVKO's Sequential Spelling, same thing last year. Truthquest History for this year and used it two weeks...

As we head into our third full year of hs'ing, I am finally learning patience with curriculum purchases. When I see one that looks appealling, I ask around first to see if anyone local to me uses it and if I can come to their home and spend the afternoon mulling over it. Most times they are more than willing. I also spend hours on here and other Yahoo homeschool groups asking for input.

If I think I will want it for kids then I try my best to find a used copy for sale from someone so I am not spending full retail price just incase I ditch it also ;-)

Surely that's normal in the first few years of home schooling, right? Right? lol I own Rightstart C, Singapore 2A (HIG, text, workbook, and CWP) and will own all of Math Mammoth at the end of the month (already signed on through HSBC). That's all because I couldn't decide what to do for 2nd grade math until I had it in my hands and tried it out. Hopefully once we figure it out we'll be able to stick with that curriculum or that combination of curricula through elementary school. I'm not making any promises, though. :lol:

We have been at it 6 years and have hopped around in every subject. I think I have tried every product out there, some multiple times! But what I have learned is what works for us. Now if I can find an elementary secular science program and handwriting I like, we will be set.

I hopped around a lot at first...now I have a good idea of what will work and what won't. It took me awhile to figure out my teaching style, my DC's learning styles, and what we can practically fit in each day. I now only make little changes or add more subjects as they get older.

I'm doing a lot of flip flopping as well.

My math plan started with Singapore, but then I went to MM. MM didn't work and now we're back to using Singapore. Next fall we're switching to CLE math. I'm also planning to give LoF a try.

Writing has been a mad mix as well. Back and forth between WWE & Writing Strands. Neither are working and now I have my eye on IEW. I just bought the Unit 1 & 2 source text e-book to experiment with.

We've strayed away from our Science & History curriculum too (boring), and we are just been winging it.:lol:

I have experience homeschooling my older dc during their middle school years, but this is my first year homeschooling this ds. It just takes a bit of trial and error to find what will works sometimes.:confused:

I used 3 different spelling programs the first two weeks of school! :lol: I do assume that's normal for starting out though, as we figure out what works for us. Now that we're a couple months in, I feel more confident in choices for next year.

I think the two subjects I've been absolutely firm in from the start are math and writing. I made a great choice for math (even after looking at Singapore at the convention, I still am not tempted to switch to it ;)), and I absolutely LOVE SWB's philosophy in writing. So WWE has been great (after listening to the audio lecture on teaching elementary writing).

Everything else I've either changed from what I started with or will change for next year. I changed grammar the week before last. I just couldn't stand R&S English 2 any longer (It made me feel like I was sinning if I didn't use a complete sentence :lol:).

Interestingly, most of my curriculum hops have been for ME. My son did fine with everything, although I changed from Sequential Spelling because he was asking why things were spelled like that and I don't know the spelling rules! :tongue_smilie:But other than that, everything has worked fine for him. He's learned what he needed to learn. He's still learning what he needs to learn with the new curriculum we've switched to. :)

You do need to be careful about curriculum hopping in some subjects, especially with math. I'm glad I found a great fit the first time. I plan to use it through grade 6. I may add some other things on the side now and then (Challenge Math, CWP, Make It Real), but those are more to just give him some extra fun math to do. When I change a curriculum, I am making sure I cover everything I need to. We switched to FLL1, and I'm going through every lesson, but I'm doing it fast in the beginning, where much of it is review (what a noun is). We've been doing 3 lessons a day, but once we hit around lesson 45, we'll slow down. When we do FLL2, we'll go regular pace. So we're not missing anything in grammar, even though I switched mid-year.

I figure right now we are trying to figure out 2 things.

1. What are we best able to use as teachers

2. What will our kids learn from as students.

I know some of us out there have had teacher training, but none of us got our bachelor's in how to home school. We are figuring it all out on the fly.

I think think the only subjects that I haven't flip flopped with are FLL and WWE. Everything else I keep looking and trying.

Nicole

Hey, CLE Math is awesome! :D

Instead of curriculum hopping, I supplement too much. :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

In our defense, it takes a while to figure out what is compatible with your kids/your teaching/your schedule. And then, needs change sometimes, too.

Flip Flopper here. Can't find a spelling program that works with my oldest at all!

Language Arts:

Tried CLE and it works ok, but too spiral for my kids. They prefer mastery with some review but not a lot. And too much old fashioned reading and no "real books" so I found I was supplementing too much.

History:

Started with SL in K-2, then the big hoop-la happened so I left and tried TOG. It was a flop for us. After a year of TOG and CLE trial, we went back to SL. Found I was supplementing too much, so tried WP, I thought WP would be more fun and hands on.....I was so frustrated with the grammatical and spelling errors in the guides that we ditched that too and went back to SL!

So, we now use SL and may change for HS, but then again, may not!

Math:

Loved Singapore through grade 5. Now using MUS, but my middle son hates it so he may get TT for next year. Youngest struggles with math, so will have to re-evaluate his math as well.

You're definitely not the only one!

We have yet to find "the" math curriculum. I have one child that does well with anything, and another that needs more help. We've been using MUS, but are going to try TT. Also, I'm considering putting them in 2 different curricula because they are only a year apart and are SO competitive. It's ridiculous. I am also hoping to get MM from the HSBC so that we can have it at least to supplement, and maybe just use that with my dd who is good at math.

We started out using MFW K. I really wanted the 4-year history cycle, but loved MFW so much we went with their 1st grade too and gave up the WTM 4-year history cycle, which I have regretted ever since. I decided that I wanted to be more purely CM, so we went with LBC, which was OK, but then I thought I wanted to get my oldest ready for Ambleside so created my own 2-year overview of world & US history so we would have at least touched on everything before starting the history cycle again, but everyone hated that, so now we're back with LBC.

I have yet to find a grammar program that I love. We've been using Simply Grammar but it's not working out as well as I'd hoped. I'm considering LLATL, or possibly Junior English from Galore Park with some diagramming, or maybe just getting Intermediate Language Lessons from LBC since they've reprinted it in workbooks.

We have AAS but it didn't seem to be working for my oldest. She could do everything perfectly while we were actually doing spelling, but there was no retention. This year we're trying Spelling Wisdom from SCM, and while it's very hard for me to give up the idea of a more traditional spelling program, I think it's going to be exactly what she needs.

So - you're not alone. :D

I think it's normal to do that when you are first starting out. I know I did. I think I'm familiar with most of the elementary math programs on the market because I did quite a bit of experimenting between my kids their first year or so.

But, once I found a good fit, I was able to stop "hopping" around. I will occasionally supplement with something in addition to what we are regularly using, but I think there are real benefits to sticking with what's working. It's also a big relief to me at this point to know we are "set" in most areas and I only have to make a few decisions each year about new curriculum because I'm happy with what we're using.

Lisa

Grammar and math are my two subjects that I constantly switch on. Which is probably why they are the subjects the kids have the most trouble in.

Math: We've been through Rod and Staff, Ray's, TT, a year of eclectic worksheets off the web, and now we're doing MUS. Thinking (praying!!) we're going to stick with MUS until 6th grade, at the least.

Grammar: We did R&S, but the kids and DH all hated it. (I liked it... found it to be very thorough, but DH said that to get any benefit, they had to actually DO it instead of fighting with me for hours on end about it. He might've had a point...) Then we went to PLL, and stayed with that until we were almost through the book, but they didn't get nearly out of it what I thought they needed. Now, we're using CQLA, and, while the kids love it, they tell me, something with it just doesn't sit well with me. Not sure what, exactly, I just can't put my finger on it, but I'm not liking something. So, we're switching again, to the Phonics Road and the Bridge to the Latin Road, probably sometime next year, when they finish the CQLA level their on.

I just couldn't stand R&S English 2 any longer (It made me feel like I was sinning if I didn't use a complete sentence :lol:).

:lol::lol::lol:

Oh wow, that made me laugh so hard the kids thought their was something wrong with me.

I love R&S for its thoroughness but the above statement is sooo true! Dd8 even commented that she felt like she should put on her angel costume when we did it.:tongue_smilie:

I'm a hopper and a junkie! The worst part is ... I need nothing! I buy and sell curriculum like mad. Now I have vowed to stick to used curriculum because i can at least get my money back! So many things seem to work for a while or work for one but not others. Ie: loved Sonlight 1&2 with oldest- now she's in Sonlight 6, which i hated in the beginning....now love it but ditched core 1&2 and have the youngers just listen in on core 6. Why did i love it before and not now???? Maybe because older dd loved it, and now ds, ds, and dd don't! Loved MUS for her- others DETEST it-I love it too, but the younger 3 declared mutiny and switched to Abeka math. Can you believe Abeka math!!! That was the first thing i got when i began hsing with first dd and swore to never but it again!! Yet, here i find myself using Abeka math with smiling children. I have had every phonics, reading and math out there! I decide i'm CM one year and but every book out there, i decide i'm waldorf the next and but every book & curr out there, then classical ( you know where this is going!!) Now i am a CM, Mont, CL, Waldorf mix and so are my kids. Want to find a curr that fits us so why not try them all! LOL!

Well the spending freeze has hit- temporarily- so i'll have to be more careful with choices this year!! We Love Queen's language lessons, and this year oldest dd likes Horizons math, but.... it ends after grade 6, which is this year for her. Here we go again....................................................

Take care, Dawn

I have a similar CLE story. We started the year using CLE 3. My son got stuck on place value in the very beginning and so I purchased Moving With Math. This program is very similar to Math U See. We used MWM successfully for a few months, but then my son got stuck on some two digit multiplication. So I pulled out our old CLE 3 lightunits and it's been heaven since. He gets everything and he has growth! Will I still finish out the MWM...sure I'll use it to supplement, but I just ordered our CLE math again for next year. I think we'll stay here for a while. Hopefully the next time there are tears, we'll just put the curriculum away for a while and not go out and purchase a whole new program. But hey, you live, you learn. The success stories make it all worth it in the end.

Dee :)

ps Usually, even though I am always on the research for the next year's curriculum, I pretty much stick to what I purchase for the year. This year I did stray and try samples of two different programs. They ended up not being such a good fit and well, I am glad I found that out this year, and not after making a full order for next year. :lol: I'm also glad I hadn't totally let go of our previously used programs because we were able to just keep going with our flow and not have to change much. Our little experimenting only cost us two weeks and lots of lessons learned.