Menu

Science Curriculum

jendodge

I love Elemental Science. I bought it at the beginning of the year and have just gotten around to using it, but I can already tell that we will definitely be continuing with the next level next year. We are using Intro to Science right now. Each unit is laid out with a introductory exercise, suggested library books, a couple experiments, and a nature walk suggestion. I'm not sure how the other levels are laid out, but the one we are using has suggestions for both a 2-day and 5-day schedule.

My 5 year old is loving the program so far, and is actually applying what she's learned to other situations.

Yes. I let my kids follow their interests as loose unit studies. That's as close as I come to an actual curriculum, and we LOVE it! I'm not trying to be sarcastic or anything. We have tried a number of curriculums, including BFSU, RSO, Mr Q, RS4K, etc., and we really do better without. It's simple too... they each choose something every month or two that they're interested in. For example, my daughter right now is all about ladybugs. So I found a couple of interactive websites, some great library books, some printouts, a magnifying glass, and we're getting one of those ladybug habitats. This will keep her happily occupied for a while, and her interest may spread to other insects, or perhaps gardening, or something completely different!

Edited by momto2Cs

I am currently using BFSU and really like it. I will admit it has more planning and prep work entailed than I originally expected but since my family is big on science I find it an easy pill to swallow.

I also printed off the free trial lessons on Real Science Odyssey and am currently trying to work a way to incorporate BFSU with RSO. I think together these two compliment each other perfectly. Only thing is I will have to purchase all the RSO books up front if I want to do it that way. So I am slowly squirreling away money and psyching myself up for the prep work ahead of me.

I was going to suggest Nancy Larson, too. We don't use it, but I recently looked at some sample lessons from the program, and it looks wonderful. If you want to take a peek, here's a link to some samples:

http://www.nancylarson.com/sample.html

Wow. I'm finally, for the first time, impressed with a Science program!!!! This looks really neat, but boy is it expensive!

I'm seriously thinking of using Science 3 for my next-year-to-be 4th and 5th graders.

Thank you!!!

Do you think that a 5 yr old would be ok using the first level? I have looked at it and it looks great!

My 5 year old just started it this week and LOVES it already. I mentioned in another thread (the big LOVE RSO thread) that I had showed him the pics from Angela's blog and he was ALL over it! He said he wanted to do the 'fun science' like she was doing. I am just planning to take it slow with him...we may only get to one lab a week (if that), and age appropriateness was a big fear (and I even asked the same question you did), but it's definitely just right for his age!! HTH!

We love Elemental Science at our house. I love it because of how conveniently it is laid out. I like being able to see at a glance what supplies I need to get ready and what books I need to get from the library. I like how flexible it is in terms of how many of the activities to do and when. I like that all of the notebooking pages are right in there, ready to be printed out. I really love that my kids are excited about science. They ask me every day if they *get* to do science today.

My kids love it because the hands on activities are so much fun, and they really like the books that have been suggested. Science is their favorite subject, and I attribute that to Elemental Science.

Love R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey (Pandia Press). We are mid-way through Life Science and have enjoyed every minute of it :D

Do you mind if I ask you to elaborate a bit more about this curriculum? I am in the planning phase for the upcoming year and in need of a science curriculum.

Thanks. Be well

Miriam

Do you mind if I ask you to elaborate a bit more about this curriculum? Miriam

Miriam, I've been photo-blogging about our experiences with RSO, feel free to check it out. You can see some of the lab activities and worksheets included.

I also photo-blogged with BFSU science, if you wanted to check that out. Both are great programs.

we absolutely love REAL SCIENCE 4 KIDS from Gravitas Publishing. :001_wub:

Ds8 has enjoyed these more than anything else we have tried and asks to do more. :hurray:

I have not tried some of the others mentioned, but we have come back to this set after a few of them.

The great thing is, there is something for everyone!!

Here is a link to the pre-levels for grades K-3 if you are interested. You can view the entire book online before you buy it.

I am able to use ES Bio with a 1st and 3rd grader by doing the following:

for the narration section, my 1st gives me a sentence, I write it on the wipe board and he copies. My 3rd is allowed to copy that sentence and then write 2-3 sentences of her own. (If I had a 2nd grader, I would say 2 sentences... 1 sentence per year with the assumption they are writing a short paragraph in 4th).

I had to pick up Usborne Science encyclopedia for my 3rd grader because every once in a blue moon, there isn't enough material in the assignment to write about.

My kids LOVE it. The experiments are easy and doable. It gets done.

We will be doing ES Earth Science next year - same curriculum 2 years in a row? I think we have a winner. :)

We have RSO (from Pandia Press) and it is a great program, but I am NOT a science person and found all the experiments exhausting! I couldn't do it any more!

We recently switched to Aha!Science and Indy really likes it, but we've had a terrible time with the videos getting stuck or the tool boxes (at the end of several of the lessons) not working. Their tech support is really friendly and they try to help as much as possible, but we still have technical issues. For $15 though, I guess I can't complain too much.

I really like the look of Nancy Larson, but that's more than I spent for our entire year for just one subject. Yikes! I might be willing to shell it out though because it does look like something Indy would like and doesn't seem to be experiment after experiment, which was my big issue with RSO.

We like Apologia also! My 11 and 12 yo are doing Swimming Creatures right now and every night at dinner they tell us what they've read. We're all fascinated!

I also really like the Christian Liberty Nature Readers. I read them aloud to the younger ones, or they read them on their own and narrate to me. We're learning a lot from them as well.

Jean

We recently switched to Aha!Science and Indy really likes it, but we've had a terrible time with the videos getting stuck or the tool boxes (at the end of several of the lessons) not working. Their tech support is really friendly and they try to help as much as possible, but we still have technical issues. For $15 though, I guess I can't complain too much.

Okay I subscribed to Aha!Science and Math for a year for $30. Unfortunately, we are not able to view the videos. It crashes everytime. Plus, when I try to use the back-button, it takes me to the login screen. ARGHH. The interface is not user-friendly. This was my third attempt today to try to access it, and still have not been able to watch a video.

I see in the comments section for their videos that other people have had trouble with getting the lessons to play. This was back in September.

Even if the videos miraculously did play for me, the user-interface is a nightmare. It takes forever to get anywhere, and when I do, it crashes. When I press back-button on my browser, I have to start all over! I wish I could get my money back, and I never return things.

Okay, I think it was just certain videos that crash. I was able to successfully play a video on "Nature and Diversity of Animals for Grades 3 and 4".

The video was cute, but only 6 minutes long. I guess I prefer the videos from Discovery Education Streaming, where we can get hours of content on any subject and go into more detail.

Still, for the price for Aha Science, it is worth it, as long as you can access the content.

Still, for the price for Aha Science, it is worth it, as long as you can access the content.

Yes, this! If you contact tech support though, they may be able to help you out. We were having trouble viewing some videos and it turns out I had to change a setting on my computer. I do really dislike that the back button takes you to the start up. Good thing it was cheap.

Wow! At $15 per student this seems like a real steal! Can you elaborate more on this curriculum? I'm really looking for something that will actually get done around here. ;)

Tara

We are using the online components of Aha! Science as our "spine" and I'm getting tons of NF from the library, too. We also outline from the UILSE that correlates to each section in Aha! Science. We spend 90min/day, 2 days per week on Science.

Basically our schedule is:

Week 1, Day 1: Watch Aha! Science Instruction Module, Do the Lesson online, play the online games, print off activity sheet (for experiment, start gathering materials needed) Start reading topic-specific NF books from library, writing down interesting facts as we come across them (we continue doing this each day we do science)).

Week 1, Day 2: Read & Outline Usborne IL Science Encyclopedia section

Week 2, Day 1: Do the hands on experiment & lab sheet from Aha! Science

Week 2, Day 2: Using our Outline & list of Facts, we compile a summary for the topic we've been studying.

This 2 week rotation is allowing me to go a little deeper on each of the modules, and allowing me to stretch the program out a little bit. :D

Yes, this! If you contact tech support though, they may be able to help you out. We were having trouble viewing some videos and it turns out I had to change a setting on my computer. I do really dislike that the back button takes you to the start up. Good thing it was cheap.

This is what we had to do too! They should post something upfront about it because the program really has been GREAT for us ever since!!!

I also hope everyone realize the plethora of extra info provided by the teachers who use Aha! Science for their students. You can go search by topic in the "Curriculum" section, and there are TONS of extra activities, experiments, videos, journaling ideas, etc... that teachers across the nation have put together and made public for others to use. This program has been worth every penny, IMHO!!!

Basically our schedule is:

Week 1, Day 1: Watch Aha! Science Instruction Module, Do the Lesson online, play the online games, print off activity sheet (for experiment, start gathering materials needed) Start reading topic-specific NF books from library, writing down interesting facts as we come across them (we continue doing this each day we do science)).

Week 1, Day 2: Read & Outline Usborne IL Science Encyclopedia section

Week 2, Day 1: Do the hands on experiment & lab sheet from Aha! Science

Week 2, Day 2: Using our Outline & list of Facts, we compile a summary for the topic we've been studying.

w00t! Sounds cool!

Tara

Miriam, I've been photo-blogging about our experiences with RSO, feel free to check it out. You can see some of the lab activities and worksheets included.

I also photo-blogged with BFSU science, if you wanted to check that out. Both are great programs.

I just wanted to let you know that I stopped by your blog to read about those science programs and I LOVED it! You did a great job with the photos and it looks like you guys learned a lot!