Menu

What do you consider to be the first day if the week?

I know for a lot of you, this answer will be based on your religion. I'm just curious what you consider to be the first day of the week. I usually think of Sunday as the beginning of the week, but then dh and I were talking about the fact that it's called the "weekEND". I know Monday's are considered the "start of the workweek", but do you consider it the beginning of the actual week?

Because you said "week" not "work week" I answered Sunday. We hs Sunday thru Thursday because of my dh's work schedule. He works Sun, Mon, Tues, and every other Wed. If we hs'ed on the general work week days, we'd have only one day on the "week-end" to share with my dh.

I know for a lot of you, this answer will be based on your religion.

Answers may be based less on religion than culture. Most Europeans consider Monday to be the first day of the week. Here in the US most calendars display Sunday as the first day of the week.

Since all time is relative, it really doesn't matter, does it?

Jane

Weekends here are Fri-Sat. They used to be Thurs-Fri, it was changed last year. It took me *forever* to adjust my thinking (I still call Tuesdays Wednesdays, because I'm thinking the middle-of-the-week), then they changed it and I had to go through it all again!

So the first day of the work week is Sunday. I don't base it on my religion, rather on the official weekend days...

I think of the work week and the weekend as two separate things, so the "week" starts on Monday and ends on Friday. Saturday and Sunday are like their own little island of time. ;)

:iagree:

I was surprised to see that Sunday had the most votes. I guess I think of it as that "day of rest", although I do know that the actual Sabbath is Saturday.

Interesting!

I consider Monday the first day of the week. Sat and Sun are the weekEND. I suppose if you are Jewish, then it makes sense to start the week on Sunday because holy day is Sat. But, if you are a Christian, then Monday should be the start of the week, because you are supposed to rest on the 7th day --- Sunday, which would be the LAST day of the week!

For all practical purposes, Monday is the first day of the week. We currently have our Bible fellowships on Sunday because that is what is convenient for most. Sunday does not have any special significance for us. If we truly wanted to observe the sabbath, I suppose it would be on Saturday. However, I believe we should love and worship God and pray every day in any and every place. Days of the week and designated houses of worship have little or no meaning for me.

But, if you are a Christian, then Monday should be the start of the week, because you are supposed to rest on the 7th day --- Sunday, which would be the LAST day of the week!

This is why I put Monday as the start of the week. We rest on the seventh day for religious reasons, and the seventh day culturally is Sunday, so we set that day aside. Work begins again on Monday.

Biblically the first day of the week is Sunday, the 7th day of the week is Saturday. So I put Sunday as the first day of the week.

Just out of curiosity, why do you say Biblically Sunday is the first day? I know that Jewish practice is that way, and of course the Jews were His people, but where does it say Saturday is the last day and Sunday is the first in the Bible?

Just out of curiosity, why do you say Biblically Sunday is the first day? I know that Jewish practice is that way, and of course the Jews were His people, but where does it say Saturday is the last day and Sunday is the first in the Bible?

John 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

Matthew 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

It is generally assumed that the above verses refer to Sunday.

I consider Monday the first day of the week. Sat and Sun are the weekEND. I suppose if you are Jewish, then it makes sense to start the week on Sunday because holy day is Sat. But, if you are a Christian, then Monday should be the start of the week, because you are supposed to rest on the 7th day --- Sunday, which would be the LAST day of the week!

I have been told that the reason most Christians meet on Sunday (first day) rather than Saturday (seventh day) is because the resurrection occurred on Sunday; after that, it seemed to be the practice of the early church to meet on Sunday rather than Saturday. At least one denomination, Seventh Day Adventists, meets on Saturday.

Sundays are sometimes so busy with church and social activities that I consider Saturday a day of rest and Sunday church day. :001_smile:

I know that technically Sunday is the beginning of the week, and January is the beginning of a new year.

But in practice, Monday is our beginning of the week, and October-November (after the last harvest) sure feels like the beginning of a new year to me. LOL. That's just about when the weather begins to cool down here, a new school year has begun, and the holidays are looming. Just feels like the start of a new year, kwim?

We follow my dh's work schedule so Tuesday starts our week for eight weeks (Monday being the "weekend") and then Sunday for eight weeks. We school the six days he works. In months when Tuesday starts our week, I make a calendar that begins on Tuesdays and stick it to the whiteboard so the kids are not confused as to where we are in the school week (and how many days they have left until their weekend break.)

Well, according to all our calendars, Sunday is the first day of the week. I know that we have traditionally considered it the "week end", just as I grew up going to church on Sunday and was taught that Sunday was the seventh day, the day of rest...... I'm a little confused about how this mix-up ever came about, although I believe it has to do with the resurrection.....

I do think it's somewhat cultural. I was raised in a home where Monday was considered the first day of the week and that's the cultural norm for my husband. I use calendars printed in either Europe or Canada and Monday is typically the first day of the week on those, too. Plus it just feels right to me. We enjoy our weekend, including church on Sunday, and then heading in to Monday seems like a beginning.

Here is what wikipedia says about it:

First day of the week

In English the days of the week are Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Most business and social calendars in United States and Canada mark Sunday as the first day of the week, though in the United Kingdom, Australia, South Africa and South America, Monday is considered the first day of the week and Sunday the seventh day.

Sunday was the first day of the astrological week, in the Hebrew week, and in the old Ecclesiastical Latin week until 325 A.D. Sunday still begins the week in the United States and to some extent in other English-speaking countries.

In Jewish tradition, the first day of the seven day week is Sunday. According to the Bible, God created the Earth in six days, and rested on the seventh day, the Sabbath, i.e. Saturday. This made Sunday the first day of the week, while Saturdays were sanctified for celebration and rest. After the week was adopted in Early Christian Europe, Sunday remained the first day of the week, but also gradually displaced Saturday as the day of celebration and rest, being considered the Lord's Day. For this reason, in many places Sunday is viewed as the last day of the week.

The variation is evident from names of the days in some languages — in Hebrew, Arabic, Greek, some days are simply called by their number starting from Sunday, e.g. Monday is called "Second day" etc. In other languages, like Slavic languages, days are also called after their ordinal numbers, but starting from Monday, making Tuesday the "Second day". According to another possible explanation, days from Monday to Friday in Slavic languages aren't numbered by their position within the week, but by their distance from Sunday, especially given that Wednesday is named "The Middle day", which makes it a true statement only if Sunday is the first day of the week.

Brazil, Portugal and all Portuguese Countries followed the new Ecclesiastic Latim notation; the first day of the week is "segunda-feira", Monday. In all these countries, the people rest on Sundays and the weekends are "Saturday + Sunday". There is a mistake about the day "Segunda-feira", it not means "second day", it means "second market day". The "first market day" was the day that Christians got together in a faith and market meeting, one day after the Sabbah, in the "Domingo", Dies Domenica in this new notation and re-positioning of Chistian Church after 325 A.D. In fact, Jews and Christians moved away one from the other after this data.

In most of Europe today, South America, and parts of Asia, Monday is considered to be the first day of the week and is literally named as such in languages such as Mandarin (xingqiyi) and Lithuanian (pirmadienis).

The ISO prescribes Monday as the first day of the week with ISO-8601 for software date formats.

I have a hard time deciding which is the "first" day. I guess, all things considered, it would be Thursday. We follow my husband's schedule (including the fact that he works nights and we stay up late and sleep late), and his nights off are - generally - Sunday night and Wednesday night. We have activities to attend on Monday through Wednesday, and Thursday through Saturday are the days we get the most schoolwork done.

SO, I guess, our Thursday through Saturday is comparable to most peoples' Monday through Wednesday. We take it easy on Sundays, sometimes not doing anything at all b/c dh is off of work and it's family time. Sometimes we go out of town to see grandparents on that day. Monday we do some school and either book club or scouts. Tuesday we do school work, go the library, and meet other homeschoolers at the park. Wednesday we do school work, attend science co-op, and then head over for karate before coming home to an easy dinner and movie night. Wednesdays are our "weekend" nights.

Yeah, I know we're strange. We like it that way!

I said Sunday since it's the first day on my U.S. calendar. But I'm quite aware that my calendar is dictated by local culture.

Maybe now we should all sing that song from the Total cereal commercials:

"Today is the first day of the rest of your life

Start it right with Total"

(Okay, I obviously spent too much time in front of a television as a child. DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOUR KIDS!)

I know for a lot of you, this answer will be based on your religion. I'm just curious what you consider to be the first day of the week. I usually think of Sunday as the beginning of the week, but then dh and I were talking about the fact that it's called the "weekEND". I know Monday's are considered the "start of the workweek", but do you consider it the beginning of the actual week?

I do consider Sunday the first day of the week, but the "weekend" thing kind of confused me until I started thinking of it like "bookends" - one on each side.

Why? IMO, since Saturday was the end of the week of Creation (whether or not it was a literal "week" doesn't matter: that day became the sabbath, the day of rest), Sunday would start the following week. Also, Sunday is printed first in each row on my calendars, so we just start there. :tongue_smilie:

John 20:1 The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

Matthew 28:1 In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.

It is generally assumed that the above verses refer to Sunday.

Yes, I've always considered Sunday to be the start of a new week due to the above verses.

We consider Monday to be the first day of our week. DH works weekends and we attend church on Sundays. On weekends are a treat for the end of the week.

Like DaLynn we are night owls too around here. AS you can see from the times I post here. :D

if you are a Christian, then Monday should be the start of the week, because you are supposed to rest on the 7th day --- Sunday, which would be the LAST day of the week!

Not necessarily. I would venture to say that, officially, most Christian faiths accept Saturday as the seventh-day Sabbath, but they observe Sunday, the 1st day of the week, as the Lord's Day. The seventh day sabbath was given as a remembrance of creation, and the Lord's Day is observed in remembrance of Christ's resurrection.

FWIW, I'm a Christian, and I observe the seventh day, Saturday, as the day of rest. I don't observe Sunday as a special day, though it I do consider it the first day of the week.

Answers may be based less on religion than culture. Most Europeans consider Monday to be the first day of the week. Here in the US most calendars display Sunday as the first day of the week.

Jane

:iagree:

I guess I always think of Sunday as the beginning of the week due to the calendar and that would be the "correct answer." However, the weekend and Sunday are days of rest so my week really begins on Monday. Although there is a certain appeal to beginning the week with a rest and not ending it that way.:001_smile:

:iagree: that's exactly what I was thinking!

• 2 years later...