Menu

Book a Week in 2011 - Week Eleven

Happy Sunday! Today is the start of week eleven in our quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Welcome to everyone who is just joining in, welcome back to our regulars and to all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog to link to your reviews. The link is in my signature.

52 Books blog - J is for judge. Have you ever picked out a book based solely on the cover. It's an interesting experiment. Your task this week - pick out a book based on its cover. Don't read the synopsis, yet. Write up a little blurb on what you think the book is about based on its cover. Then let us know after you've read the story whether you are right, lukewarm or totally off base. I choose a few books based on their covers and have no idea what they are about. You guys get to vote, tell me what you think its about and the one that gets the most votes, I'll read.

Did everyone remember to set their clocks forward?

Reading anything special in honor of St. Patrick's day?

Link to previous week 10

I finished 'School of Essential Ingredients' by Erica Bauermeister this past week. It was 'okay' not the best but not the worst either. I also read 'The Red Thread' by Ann Hood (excellent book!) and 'Still Missing' by Chevy Stevens (very good book but the ending was a bit far-fetched to me.)

I am not sure what Book #19 is going to be. It will either be Mudbound by Hillary Jordan or More Than a Carpenter by Josh McDowell. :001_smile:

Not much reading this week. I did read Michael Clay Thompson's Classics in the Classroom when my MCT order arrived this week. It's got me thinking about how I want to do literature next year. I really want to have book discussions like it sounds like he has with his students, but I don't know the questions to ask. And then I read on these boards yesterday that he's going to have some materials for teaching literature quite soon, so I'm excited about that.

I picked up Left Neglected as a hold from the library on Friday and am now in the middle of that. I'm enjoying it. And I got an e-mail that something else on my hold list is now available: Fitzwilliam Darcy, gentleman. I heard about that from another thread here on P&P sequels. Total fluff reading I'm sure!

2011 Reading List

16. Classics in the Classroom-Michael Clay Thompson

15. True You-Janet Jackson

14. The Samurai’s Garden-Gail Tsukiyama

13. Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet-Jamie Ford

12. God’s Middle Finger-Richard Grant

11. Kristin Lavransdatter-I: The Wreath-Sigrid Undset

10. The Housekeeper and the Professor-Yoko Ogawa

9. A Lucky Child-Thomas Buergenthal

8. Three Cups of Tea-Greg Mortenson

7. Run-Ann Patchett

6. The Red Queen-Philippa Gregory

5. Agnes Grey-Anne Bronte

4. The Daughter of Time-Josephine Tey

3. Mythology-Edith Hamilton

2. Phantom Toll Booth-Norton Juster

1. Her Fearful Symmetry-Audrey Niffenegger

Still not feeling well, but managed to read a few books this week. They were very quick reading.

#16 - The Lilies of the Field, by William E. Barrett.

#17 - The Trouble With Angels, by Jane Trahey. Hilarious non-fiction.

#18 - The Woman I Was Born to Be: My Story, by Susan Boyle. This was so very good! Susan Boyle is an inspiration to me. Her book is honest, sincere, and humbly written. Having devoured this book, I find her an even greater inspiration than previously. Just for the record, the only video I've seen of her is the much-touted youtube of her first televised appearance on Britain's Got Talent, which someone e-mailed to me. For Christmas this past year, dh got me her current cd and we so enjoy it.

Currently reading:

#19 - The Winter of Our Disconnect, by Susan Maushart. Non-fiction whose sub-title says it all: "How Three Totally Wired Teenagers (and a Mother Who Slept with Her iPhone) Pulled the Plug on Their Technology and Lived to Tell the Tale."

I finished 3 books this week! Since I've been behind, I'm very excited about this! I've now read 10 out of 11. :)

I finished Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon (#4 in Outlander series), and it was good enough overall - not as crazy intense as the first 3, however, so I think that is why I feel a bit let down. I've requested #5 from the library and should receive it soon; I'm not giving up on the series!

I also read Room by Emma Donahue this week. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. It was a disturbing read, but I ended it feeling hopeful for the characters. I don't know that I can say I loved it though because the subject matter is difficult in an emotionally painful way to read. As others have mentioned in past weeks, it's definitely haunting. I'm still stewing over it.

Ds and I finally finished The Door in the Wall which we have been working on as our Read Aloud book. He really enjoyed it, and it's led to many rabbit trails in regards to medieval history.

I intend to begin Little Bee tonight. I'm also working my way through a novel that my friend wrote, so that has been interesting. She's in the early stages, and she asked me to critique it. It's been an honor so far.

Edited by jenL
forgot about a book I completed this week

I read a couple more of Boris Akunin's Fandorin books and have just started The Mozart Effect. It's making me feel like an appallingly bad mother, but maybe it'll improve. It has me looking into Suzuki violin. I'd discounted it for my dd because she's language delayed, but I was basing that on no information at all. "Suitable for children from age 3" doesn't necessarily mean "Suitable for 3 year olds providing they are budding geniuses." Maybe it'd do her good.

Rosie

Chip, chip,chipping away at Montaigne.

Also still reading Agnes Grey.

Anyone else have a hard time reading fiction? I'm challenging myself to read more fiction, and it's so hard for me. I feel like I'm wasting time when I read fiction, and I could be using that time to read non-fiction and learn something. So, it's takes me longer to read fiction because it's hard for me to pick up the book and not wallow in guilt. On the plus side, I get more house work done.

I haven't been reading much the last few weeks. Right now I'm reading Black by Ted Dekker, Simply Christian by N. T. Wright, and Carry On Mr. Bowditch by Jean Lee Latham (aloud to the kids). I've only finished 8 books so far, so I need to pick up the pace!

Anyone else have a hard time reading fiction? I'm challenging myself to read more fiction, and it's so hard for me. I feel like I'm wasting time when I read fiction, and I could be using that time to read non-fiction and learn something. So, it's takes me longer to read fiction because it's hard for me to pick up the book and not wallow in guilt. On the plus side, I get more house work done.

You know, historically I have a harder time with non-fiction, but for some reason I'm finding it much easier to finish than fiction this year...

I finished Bill Bryson's At Home last week (review in blog), and now I'm most of the way through Laura Hillenbrand's Unbroken. It's a lot more relentlessly grim than I was expecting, though I'm not sure why I was expecting anything different. Maybe just because of Seabiscuit? Very good reading, nonetheless.

I'll probably finish it tonight or tomorrow, and then I need to take a break from grown-up reading to read The View From Saturday, along with DS, so we can discuss it. And then I have both Swamplandia and Endgame (about Bobby Fischer) checked out--so one of them will be next.

Oh--I'm also listening to Gary Taubes' Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It on audiobook

This was a week of light reading: #19: Usborne True Stories: Crime and Detection and #20: Usborne True Sea Stories. They were both interesting reads. We're still working on Robinson Crusoe; it's a difficult book to read aloud, and it doesn't have chapters. We really like it, though.

What for this week? Good question!;)

20. Usborne True Sea Stories

19. Usborne True Stories: Crime and Detection

18. You Want Me to Declaw WHAT?! (Toia)

17. Before My Heart Stops (Cardall)

16. The Deadly Dinner Party (Edlow)

15. Across the Red Line (Karl)

14. All My Patients Have Tales (Wells)

13. Ten Days in a Madhouse (Bly)

12. Heaven is For Real (Burpo)

11. Silas Marner (Eliot)

10. Doctor of the Heart (Rosenfeld)

9. White Fang (London)

8. Ask The Animals (Coston)

7. Call of the Wild (London)

6. The 7 (Beck)

5. Rogue Wave (Moriison)

4. Mockingjay (Collins)

3. Catching Fire (Collins)

2. Hunger Games (Collins)

1. Tales of An African Vet (Aronson)

I just finished my reading deprived week so didn't have a chance to read through or reply to week 10. Will be doing so here. Later today I'll be posting on my blog all about my week of reading deprivation. Interesting experiment from Artist's Way.

Looking forward to reading your blog post about your experiment!

I also read Room by Emma Donahue this week. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. It was a disturbing read, but I ended it feeling hopeful for the characters. I don't know that I can say I loved it though because the subject matter is difficult in an emotionally painful way to read. As others have mentioned in past weeks, it's definitely haunting. I'm still stewing over it.

I intend to begin Little Bee tonight.

I haven't read Room but I imagine that I too would be haunted by it. I think you will also find Little Bee to be haunting.

I finished Her Fearful Symmetry which I would describe as a modern, gothic ghost story. I really enjoyed the first half of the book, especially the characters such as Martin, the OCD neighbor. The latter half was more uneven & it seemed like perhaps sections had been cut/edited or the author made some big jumps in the story w/out good explanation. :confused: I guess I liked parts of the book & didn't like other parts (similar to the way I felt about The Time Traveler's Wife). The author comes up with some interesting story ideas, but her execution of the story isn't always the greatest, imo. However, this is not meant to be high literature, so I'd say that overall it's an enjoyable read for it's genre.

I also finished Meeting Faith: The Forest Journals of a Black Buddhist Nun. The parts where the author describes Buddhism, life in the wat (temple), & Thailand are fascinating. Other parts (where she ruminates about her life when growing up) are less interesting, bordering on dull sometimes. Because the book is based on her journals, it's somewhat disjointed. The format of the book (main sections, plus extra information written in the sidelines; some things are in smaller text than others) also adds to the disjoined feeling. I so wish this book had color photos -- some of the places she describes sound gorgeous... so much so that I ended up googling for photos, lol. If you enjoy non-fiction, you may enjoy this book. If you're a fiction-lover (and not really into reading non-fiction), this is not really the first non-fiction book I'd recommend....

I'm currently reading 2 books:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShUQI3V195cCyN8GRB8Sair7N_QL-x9jblCKj6cERiJksb4x1bWAimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSuqjTo7QrtSLJoi_SOVpNka04wMnf9N3g6Lx-FFBjqNp77TY-sDA

Ok, so The Guinea Pig Diaries has already had me laughing out loud more than once. Jacobs is a funny writer & puts himself into ridiculously comic situations. I thoroughly enjoyed his book The Year of Living Biblically & expect this book to be the same -- a fun & funny, fast read.

13, rue Thérèse is a new release based on an interesting premise: the author inherited a box of mementos from a neighbor after the neighbor died & no relatives claimed the box. The mementos include things like photos, gloves, postcards, letters, coins, etc.... The author used these real items (and the actual contents of the letters & such) to create a fictional story. There are color photos throughout the book of the various mementos. The story is quite charming so far.

From Booklist

"This ambitious first novel from Paris-born Shapiro centers on a box of WWI-era artifacts, depicted in color throughout the book, found by American academic in Paris Trevor Stratton (it was purposefully left for him by his mysterious new secretary). From photographs and miscellaneous objects, Stratton pieces together “a record” of the life of their owner, Madame Louise Brunet—a real person, incidentally, who lived in the Paris apartment above Shapiro’s, and whose mysterious, unclaimed belongings Shapiro really owns. At turns truly exciting and overflowing with imagination, the novel is full of intriguing characters: Louise’s boring husband, Henri; her talented young piano student, Garance; and her new neighbor, Xavier, to whom she is magnetically drawn. This gimmicky tale unravels somewhat when Stratton, apparently in a fever-dream, begins to confuse his life with Louise’s and implicates himself in the history in which he’s become so involved. Puzzle-lovers will be curious to check out the book’s online counterpart, in which they can view 3-D versions of the book’s images."

Books read in 2011:

The Weed That Strings the Hangman's Bag

People Die

Three Ways to Capsize a Boat

The Perfect Man

Food Rules

Empress Orchid

Sister Pelagia and the Red Cockerel

A Voyage Long and Strange

All the Names

When We Were Orphans

Her Fearful Symmetry

Meeting Faith: The Forest Journals of a Black Buddhist Nun

Edited by Stacia

I just picked up Bonhoeffer and Unbroken from the library this afternoon. They both are highly requested at the library so no renewals. I am a little stressed that they both came in this week and I'm going to have to read both pretty quickly! But, I have heard excellent things about both titles, so I'm ready to dig in!

Last week I read The Story of the Bible (awesome!) and I am still working on The Wise Man's Fear, although that will have to take a hold for my library books.

Happy Reading!

52 Books blog - J is for judge. Have you ever picked out a book based solely on the cover. It's an interesting experiment. Your task this week - pick out a book based on its cover. Don't read the synopsis, yet. Write up a little blurb on what you think the book is about based on its cover. Then let us know after you've read the story whether you are right, lukewarm or totally off base. I choose a few books based on their covers and have no idea what they are about. You guys get to vote, tell me what you think its about and the one that gets the most votes, I'll read.

I love this challenge. I'm not in my home town this week, so I don't have access to my library. I may have to poke around on amazon or The Book Cover Archive looking at covers in the meantime. I'm a visual person, so I love looking at cover art. I still love the cover of Life of Pi (even though the book devastated me). Loved the cover art of Little Bee too.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcilJ29YU98yVonBJBEKSEyXGrxC5nkRBY7Ktu_UntywLwAeVbimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcS84iWsnKVu5s6N-x9lCnq9IyhkDAAzCmpljoCGW4GpvfdMUKmL

Edited by Stacia

I was doing a lot of driving & walking last week, so I "read" some audio-books.

I finished The Time Machine by HG Wells. It was excellent but a little creepy. I hadn't read this before and was fascinated when I found out it is one of the original works of the dystopian genre.

I started The Four Loves by CS Lewis. It is read by the author which is its main charm. It's only about 2 hours long but it's hard to slog through. :(

I also started Three Men in a Boat by Jerome Jerome. HILARIOUS! I haven't finished this one only b/c my dd started listening to it with me, so now I'm not allowed to listen to it without her. It's really laugh-out-loud funny; sometimes British humor can be hard to get, but not this one.

So the last two are continuing this week. I also have the non-fiction Four Fish still on my nightstand.

I finished 'School of Essential Ingredients' by Erica Bauermeister this past week. It was 'okay' not the best but not the worst either.

:iagree: My thoughts exactly on this one.

I just started my 2nd Elizabeth George book - Payment in Blood. Determined to read them in order, if I do read them all, that is. So far, so good.

With the dc, we're still very slowly reading The Time Garden, which we're enjoying a lot.

And, Just William, which we absolutely love. :D

just-william-daniel-roche-007.jpg

I finished The Birth Order Book by Kevin Leman and enjoyed it. I was hoping to get a few ideas on how to handle some sibling rivalry issues around here. I suppose it did in an indirect way.

This week the theme continues with Siblings without Rivalry by Adele Faber and Elaine Mazlish.

Where did you find this book? I looked it up on Amazon and the cheapest one listed is >$100!

My mother's book!

My library doesn't have it.

Wonder if you have any used book stores nearby that might have a copy?

Since reading this, I'd like to see the movie, which dh remembers us watching a long time ago, but I really don't recall it. Checked our library and they don't have the movie (or the book).

My daughter and I finished reading "Treasure Island" today (only a day behind schedule!) and started "All Of A Kind Family," which is what we're reading this week.

Here's what we've read so far:

TOGETHER

WEEK 1: The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster

WEEK 2: Skellig by David Almond

WEEK 3: Ida B and Her Plans To Maximize Fun, Avoid Disaster and (Possibly) Save the World, by Katherine Hannigan

WEEK 4: The Gawgon and The Boy by Lloyd Alexander

WEEK 5: Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets by J.K. Rowling

WEEK 6: The Girl With The Silver Eyes by Willo Davis Roberts

WEEK 7: Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt

WEEK 8: Sounder by William H. Armstrong

WEEK 9: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl

WEEK 10: Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

WEEK 11: All-Of-A-Kind Family by Sydney Taylor.

ME, INDEPENDENTLY (Only Counting Ones I've Finished)

Flowers For Algernon by Daniel Keyes

The Virgin's Lover by Philippa Gregory

The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood

Mary, Bloody Mary by Carolyn Meyer

Beware, Princess Elizabeth by Carolyn Meyer

Doomed Queen Anne by Carolyn Meyer

Zipporah, Wife of Moses by Marek Halter

At First Sight by Nicholas Sparks

ME, INDEPENDENTLY (Books That Are Still In Progress)

Deconstructing Penguins by Lawrence and Nancy Goldstone

Patience, Princess Catherine by Carolyn Meyer

Three Cups Of Tea by Greg Mortenson

DD 10, INDEPENDENTLY

Several Nancy Drew Files books

Several of the "Wright On Time" books

Streams to the River, River to the Sea, A Novel of Sacagawea

Thunder Rolling In The Mountains

Emily Windsnap and the Castle in the Mist

Iggie's House

And she's currently working on: Mystery Stories for Girls

and: a Dear America book, "Valley of the Moon."

.... it is a very successful year so far already reading-wise, for both of us. We are really enjoying it. :)

I finally got the taxes finished, so I can spend some more time reading this week. I finished and reviewed my 8th book Greenwitch, so I need to pick up the pace a bit. On my stack, I have the last two books in the Dark is Rising series and The King's Fifth by O'Dell.

Books read and reviewed for 2011

8. Greenwitch by Cooper

7. The Dark Is Rising by Cooper

6. The Lark and the Laurel by Willard

5. Over Sea, Under Stone by Cooper

4. Watership Down by Adams

3. Otto of the Silver Hand by Pyle

2. Lose 200 Pounds This Weekend by Adler

1. The 5000 Year Leap by Skousen

I've been a big slacker in the reading department the last two weeks. I finished Beethoven's Hair by Russell Martin, and I'm half-way through Survival of the Prettiest: The Science of Beauty by Nancy Etcoff, which is interesting but is giving me an inferiority complex :tongue_smilie:

Oops, ETA, I also read The Provincial Lady in London by E. M. Delafield.

Edited by Sparkle

I finished Ted Dekker's Circle books...and now I need a break from them....I won't be reading the connected 2 trilogies until summer...when I feel like reading that type of book again. I really enjoyed them...but 1500 pages was enough!

I am now reading Major Pettigrew's Last Stand. I am only a chapter in, but it seems very sweet.

I also finished up with the books I was reading the kids...so we began The Wind in the Willows. I love that book...and it is sad that it is probably the last time I get to read it aloud to my kids....oh well, there are always grandkids to look forward to.

Faithe

Read in 2011:

1.Age of Opportunity – loved!

2.One Thousand Gifts – Ann Voscamp – thought I would love it but didn’t

Ellen Emerson White books :

3.The President's Daughter

4.White House Autumn

5.Long Live the Queen

6.Long May She Reign

7.Friends for Life

8.Life Without Friends

Bodie Thoene Shiloh Series:

9.In My Father’s House

10.A Thousand Shall Fall

11.Say to This Mountain

12.Shiloh Autumn

Where did you find this book? I looked it up on Amazon and the cheapest one listed is >$100! My library doesn't have it.

I've never read the book The Trouble with Angels, but the Hayley Mills movie is so hilarious. I just love that movie! :001_smile:

This week I finished Eating Animals. My review is here. This book really had a profound effect on me---so much so that we're going to try as a family to convert to veganism.

I'm still reading Jane Eyre (will I ever get through this book!??!?) and I started The Tale of Two Cities and Speaking of Faith.

I recently finished Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson which I enjoyed. It's a lengthy fantasy novel (not what I normally read), the first of a trilogy, and it had me reading for the better part of a week -- and I'm a quick reader. I recommend it.

"From Publishers Weekly

Sanderson's eerie second fantasy (after 2005's Elantris), set in a mist-haunted, ash-ridden world, pits Kelsier, "the Survivor of Hathsin," against the immortal Lord Ruler's 1,000-year domination of both the Great Houses and their serflike "skaa." Through Allomancy acquired in the Ruler's most hellish prison, Kelsier can "burn" 10 metals internally, fueling superhuman powers he uses to assemble rebels in a loose plan to destroy the nobility, the empire and the Lord Ruler himself. Kelsier uses Vin, a street urchin with the same Mistborn powers Kelsier possesses, to infiltrate the Great Houses' society, where she falls in love with philosopher prince Elend Venture. This mystico-metallurgical fantasy combines Vin's coming-of-age-in-magic and its well-worn theme of revolt against oppression with copious mutilations, a large-scale cast of thieves, cutthroats, conniving nobles and exotic mutants. The fast-paced action scenes temper Vin's interminable ballroom intrigues, while the characters, though not profoundly drawn, have a raw stereotypic appeal.

Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc."

Regards,

Kareni

I'm half-way through Survival of the Prettiest: The Science of Beauty by Nancy Etcoff, which is interesting but is giving me an inferiority complex :tongue_smilie:

I have that one! It jumped off a shelf at me when I was out shopping one day. A book with a cover pic like that deserved to be bought.

I've now finished skimming The Mozart Effect. That gave me an inferiority complex. However, it inspired me to look into music for my kiddos again. Last time I looked at the idea, it wasn't possible, but now it is and we're starting Kindermusik on Friday! I wish there was something more local, but I'm willing to drive an hour to attend a class where little boys who like to wander around are welcome.

Rosie

I read Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens.

Dickens was a master at capturing the bleakness, corruption, and horror of the mean streets of London in the 1800s. And, it's conveyed with both humor and pathos.

I loved this book, as I have all of the Dickens I've read so far.

Not sure what's up next. I have The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins and Heresy by S.J. Parris sitting in front of me---so, probably one of those :)

I don't think I've read any "whole" adult books YET this year !!!!!

Any recommendations?

Don't worry about catching up! Just jump in where you are.

I'm reading The Guinea Pig Diaries. I'm finding it hilarious & I recommend not drinking while reading, as I almost spit out my water today. :lol: It's very quick & easy to read -- I'm almost done. It would be a fun 'adult' book to kick-start your reading. :)

What type of books do you like to read?

I wish there was something more local, but I'm willing to drive an hour to attend a class where little boys who like to wander around are welcome.

That just sounds so cute. :D I can just picture it in my mind. :) Sounds like my ds also, although he's not so little anymore.

Dickens was a master at capturing the bleakness, corruption, and horror of the mean streets of London in the 1800s. And, it's conveyed with both humor and pathos.

I loved this book, as I have all of the Dickens I've read so far.

We are huge Dickens fans. :D Love him, love him, love him.

We're watching the A&E/BBC version of this right now.

I'd like to get a nice biography of Dickens for us to read together. Maybe this one.

This looks really good. :D

That just sounds so cute. :D I can just picture it in my mind. :) Sounds like my ds also, although he's not so little anymore.

Oh, he's so cute I could eat him up. He says three words, Mum, Dad and happy. So I hear him walking around saying "HapPY, hapPY, hapPY, hahahahaha." :001_wub:

Rosie

I read "We Bought A Zoo"

I loved the idea of this book, I was enchanted with the title and looked forward to reading it.

It was readable but I guess I expected better. The prose was a bit amateur and I was surprised at the rather poor selection and number of photos. There was so much there, it should have been better. I wonder if he wasn't just in a bit of a hurry to coincide with the tv series?

I would love to see a re-write of this with new adventures and more photos.

I also read Game of Thrones, A Song of Ice and Fire Book 1 as the 5th is coming out at long last and HBO is about to launch a new series based on the books on April 17th I believe. It has been forever since I read them and now seems a good time to do so. I'd forgotten how good they were. Epic fantasy in the classic style of all good epic fantasy. Did I mention Sean Bean is in the series? Be still my heart. :D

So this week I am continuing the series in A Clash of Kings.

I read "We Bought A Zoo"

I loved the idea of this book, I was enchanted with the title and looked forward to reading it.

It was readable but I guess I expected better. The prose was a bit amateur and I was surprised at the rather poor selection and number of photos. There was so much there, it should have been better. I wonder if he wasn't just in a bit of a hurry to coincide with the tv series?

I didn't know there is/was a tv series. But, they're making a movie of it now w/ Matt Damon: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1389137/

I finished Without Pity by Ann Rule. I usually enjoy true crime books, but this was a little boring IMO. I started the Kite Runner two weeks ago, but have only read a chapter or so:( We were on a cruise and, despite convincing myself before we left that I would do some reading, I did nothing but play:)

We are huge Dickens fans. :D Love him, love him, love him.

We're watching the A&E/BBC version of this right now.

I'd like to get a nice biography of Dickens for us to read together. Maybe this one.

Thanks, Negin! My kids and I have enjoyed several other biographies by Stanley and Vennema. I hadn't seen this one before.

So instead I downloaded Anna Karenina on my mp3. A whopping 33.5 hours! It will take me a month to listen to it.

Get on with it ;) You've got St Teresa coming up next!

(She just arrived in the mail at my place today. Surely that's a demeaning method of travel for a saint :Angel_anim: )

Rosie

Oh, he's so cute I could eat him up. He says three words, Mum, Dad and happy. So I hear him walking around saying "HapPY, hapPY, hapPY, hahahahaha." :001_wub:

Rosie, oh, I really, really miss that stage. He sounds absolutely adorable. :D :grouphug:

I'm still plugging away on Columbus and Sons (Foster).

I also began reading A Woman After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George. My husband's side of the family believe in women being submissive to their husbands. I grew up where gentlemen always deferred to the ladies--- So, since my in-laws (two sets) will be staying with us twice for about a month this year, I thought I'd read a book that helps me understand where they're coming from in a mature way. (In the past, I admit that I just thought they were crazy! :lol:) FWIW, my dh emphatically states that he'd hate it if I became "submissive" to him; but I thought I'd read the book with an open mind anyway. :D (You see, I can't even submit to not reading about submission! Oh dear. :lol:)

I'm still reading Island of the World. I had to stop for a few days because it got so intense I couldn't take it. It's such a great book though, so I continued, and now I'm can't put it down again.

My girls and I are still enjoying Gone with the Wind, too. I wish we could read all day long.

I finished The Guinea Pig Diaries. It was very, very funny, imo -- the kind of book where you don't want to be drinking when reading because you may start laughing too hard. :lol:

I also finished 13, rue Thérèse & found it a neat, interesting book. It uses real mementos from a French lady (around WWI/1920s) & creates a fictional story around those items. The book may not appeal to everyone, but I enjoyed it.

I have started The Transformation of Bartholomew Fortuno & am liking it so far.

"From Publishers Weekly

Inspired by a vintage circus photograph, Bryson's first novel tells the fictional story of the unusual relationship between two human curiosities from P.T. Barnum's American Museum. Bartholomew Fortuno, the world's thinnest man, is asked by Barnum to keep an eye on his latest acquisition—Iell Adams, the bearded woman, who is kept in seclusion until the impresario can introduce her to the world. Fascinated by her and desiring a transformative experience, Bartholomew falls hopelessly in love with Iell, much to the surprise of his fellow Curiosities. Bartholomew also gets caught in the middle of a war between Barnum and his jealous wife for control of Iell's future. The story culminates at Barnum's birthday party, where Bartholomew is shocked to discover Iell's big secret. Though thin on plot, this work sympathetically conjures up the backstage world of Barnum's museum and the pecking order of his Curiosities, and magically transports the reader back in time to Gilded Age New York. Fans of Water for Elephants are sure to want to enter this wondrous midway attraction of a novel."