Menu

Materials for Reading Comprehension

LolaT

My DD(6) is almost done with OPTGR, currently on FLL 1 (75% completed) WWE 1 (20% completed). When we do story narration, there are many times she doesn't retain the material when I ask her the prompting questions. Since we're almost done with OPTGR, I'm wondering if there is a curriculum or books specifically geared toward reading comprehension. (I'm already planning on doing ETC Books 4-8 when we finish OPTGR for reading review). Does anyone have some suggestions?

Is she reading the material, or are you reading the WWE passage to her? I think these are 2 different issues. My dd reads very well (7), but when I do WWE 2, she just does not pay attention to details, so she cannot answer some questions.

However, when I give her reading comprehension tests, she answers the questions well because even if she forgot details or other things, she knows to go back to the text and read to find out the answer- which is not the case with WWE where the parents does the reading.

A homeschool mom I know uses Specific Skill Series. Don't know anything about it.

Oops, I guess I wasn't very specific there. I'm talking about when I do the reading such as for WWE.

If she doesn't have a high degree of interest in the story and doesn't retain the details, when we get to the last question, "What do you remember most about the passage?", I've noticed she will 1) Make something up from the illustration in the WWE Workbook page, 2) Repeat the very last thing that happened in the passage, 3) Try to look at what I've already written down from the prompt questions. I guess, these are all good strategies if you don't really have something to say of your own, but it's starting to become a pattern.

Sometimes I re-read the passage, and usually there is little improvement.

I think that's pretty typical behavior of the younger (less experienced in narration) kids. My ds7 does that too. I know my friend's ds8 does this as well.

My suggestion would be not to worry too much at this point. When my ds7 does what your dd does I re-prompt him. I just tell him "you cannot just tell me the last thing that happened." Then, if he can't think of anything I re-ask a question that would lead him to a solid thought. I help him form the sentence if needed.

I think hand holding is okay until they get the skill down. Remember, it is a skill to teach... not one that kids naturally have. After watching SWB work with her son on the YouTube video I realized this whole thing is a process and we can help our kids along. I most certainly give a lot more help now to all my kids who are doing WWE than I did before I watched the video. It doesn't have to be as cut and dry as it appears in the directions in the manual. :001_smile: This has also helped my kids tolerate dictation more. They are also making great progress!

Now, we are on lesson 25 or so and my ds7 is usually able to give me a good narration sentence. (He's in level 1 so it's just one sentence). He sometimes likes to be "lazy" and take the easy way out repeating the last thing he heard, but I don't let him. I'm so mean!:D

I don't do reading comprehension exercises with any of my kids, except my ds7. He has some issues that makes reading comprehension extremely difficult the older he gets so I do extra work with him to try and give him a leg up. My other kids I do not do anything extra with.